Streaming bluray ISOs over wifi...looking for a wifi router with massive throughput

solomongrundy
Go to solution Solved by Blade of Grass,

I have an Asus RT-N16 Wireless N router, and a Samsung Smart TV. The TV is about 10 metres away from the router and can't even consistently play my Blu Ray movies, just standard 720p ones.

Best thing to do is route some Cat6 under the house and plug it in directly. No buffering, just consistent playing.

OK, but that would be caused by low end networking gear. I doubt the TV has a decent networking card, and the N16 isn't a high end router by any means.

I have an ASUS N66u along with a TP-Link WDN4800 and I can easily stream stuff. I get about 40 Mb/s (which is the maximum speed of my network).

It really depends on your gear.

*note* I'm siting about 35 ish feet away, and the signal goes through one external and three internal walls, along with one floor.

If you stream  your bluray isos over wifi, what router do you use?

I'm looking for a high performance wireless N router.

Get an old PC, put PF Sense on it and be done with pre done, crap routers.

"Don't make a girl a promise, if you know you can't keep it" | "Didn't you hear? Spartans never die."

-Gaming- FX 8150 @ 4.2GHz, HD 7870 Tahiti LE 2GB @ 1.1GHz, ASRock 990FX Extreme3, 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz, WIndows 10, Custom Watercooled, NZXT Switch 810

-Audio Editing/Mixing- Mac Mini Late 2014, Core i7 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, 2TB Fusion Drive, OSX 10.12 El Captain -Phone- HTC One M7 32GB

Wireless AC nuff said.

That's pointless (don't need the speed), and not worth it since barely anything still supports it.

From what I've seen, Blu-Ray movies stream at about 20-50 Mb/s, so pretty much any (working) wireless N router can do that.

I'd personally go for the ASUS N66u, it's one of the highest performing and most well recommended (as it deserves) wireless N router.

Don't forget to upgrade the firmware to the new ones.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

WIFI is useless for streaming.. nuff said,

Why can you not use a Cat 5e or Cat6 cable?

go wired.

Pardon my English. Not my native language.

Intel Celeron G1820 Haswell | ASRock B85M-ITX | Transcend 1GB DDR3-1333 | HEC Cougar SL 500W 80+ | Lian Li PC-Q03B ITX | SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 16GB | OpenElec-XBMC

WIFI is useless for streaming.. nuff said,

Sorry, can you please explain what you mean?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Sorry, can you please explain what you mean?

I have an Asus RT-N16 Wireless N router, and a Samsung Smart TV. The TV is about 10 metres away from the router and can't even consistently play my Blu Ray movies, just standard 720p ones.

Best thing to do is route some Cat6 under the house and plug it in directly. No buffering, just consistent playing.

OK, but that would be caused by low end networking gear. I doubt the TV has a decent networking card, and the N16 isn't a high end router by any means.

I have an ASUS N66u along with a TP-Link WDN4800 and I can easily stream stuff. I get about 40 Mb/s (which is the maximum speed of my network).

*note* I'm siting about 35 ish feet away, and the signal goes through one external and three internal walls, along with one floor.

15" MBP TB

Thanks blade of grass..I'll take a look at the N66.