Amazon Web Services goes down, taking Netflix, Reddit, Pocket and more with it

A server issue in Virginia is affecting most of the northeast, killing the infrastructure for many popular products and services including Netflix, Product Hunt, Medium, SocialFlow, Buffer, GroupMe, Pocket, Viber Amazon Echo and more.

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2015/09/20/amazon-web-services-goes-down-taking-netflix-reddit-pocket-and-more-with-it/

funny how just one server in virginia causes the whole amazon infrastructure in the northeast to go down. funny.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Everyone switch to Microsoft cloud & Azure before it's to late!

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Just watching Narcos on Netflix and shopping on Amazon, so no problem.

Netflix was down in ny for like 3 minutes

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

Everyone switch to Microsoft cloud & Azure before it's to late!

In 2014, Microsoft Azure had 103 outages for a total of ~43 hours downtime.

Amazon's EC2 platform suffered 12 outages for a total of ~2 hour downtime, and their S3 platform had 23 outages for a total of 2.69 hours of downtime.

If you want good uptime, you should go with Google or Amazon, not Microsoft.

Sadly I don't have any numbers for 2015 but hopefully we will get that early next year.

Also, even with those 43 hours of downtime Microsoft still did pretty well.

Source: The register

Ah, that explains why my early morning read was disturbed. Steam was down too.

Oh well, Steam's back up. Games it is!

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Good thing I live on the opposite side.  :P

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

I don't use any of those services...so if the internet did go cray I'd wake and be like why is everyone so mad god dang? 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

East coast peasants.

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

Goddamnit Virginia.

Our internet always sucks.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Interesting, I heard our network went down earlier (I work at an Amazon fulfilment warehouse) so I wonder if this is part of that.

It was for a few minutes, right? Not really worth mentioning, or making it "news".

Goddamnit Virginia.

Our internet always sucks.

How does it feel to live in the state that single-handedly ruined everyone's lives? :angry:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

It was for a few minutes, right? Not really worth mentioning, or making it "news".

How does it feel to live in the state that single-handedly ruined everyone's lives? :angry:

Shitty. Everything in this state is shitty because it's run by morons in our state legislature. Just about every single thing in our state government has lawyers at the helm. Our state run monopoly on hard liquor? Run by lawyers who couldn't properly run a business if you beat them upside the head with a copy "running a business for dummies".

Our state internet (the isp that the state government uses) is Northrop Grumman. And it's so terrible that it's not even funny. It's baseline budgeted as well. So however much traffic we used this year, that's how much we need for next year. I don't remember the price, but I remember that it was ridiculous.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Interesting, I heard our network went down earlier (I work at an Amazon fulfilment warehouse) so I wonder if this is part of that.

It was. All FC infrastructure services that were backed by DynamoDB went down.

funny how just one server in virginia causes the whole amazon infrastructure in the northeast to go down. funny.

It wasn't just one server, it was a collection of many servers.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

It was. All FC infrastructure services that were backed by DynamoDB went down.

Wow. Yea I we were still feeling the effects of it afterward, but it wasn't too bad thankfully. The place is like organized chaos, it's kinda fun cause that's how my mind works. I wonder if they got VTO because I don't think they could really do anything with the system down. Apparently half an entire truck didn't get shipped to us. Physically it did, but the computer said that stuff was still in another state.