Windows 8.1 Lastest Build Leak address many issues.

GoodBytes

You should open your eyes more:

windows_start_button.jpg

No tweaks, or hack, or software

wow wow wow so that means i have my good old start menu back?? 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

No. But you have something better and more powerful.... the Start Screen, which you can see from people that posted before you, people that learned it, likes/love it.

No. But you have something better and more powerful.... the Start Screen, which you can see from people that posted before you, people that learned it, likes/love it.

you know what i will be doing an i switch :P 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

you know what i will be doing an i switch :P

Good! Do it when Windows 8.1 will be out, as it's suppose to come very soon, apparently.

I and have to say this again. People have tried it, learned it and freaking hated it too. 

the point was never that people missed the button, the point was things like convertable laptops that dont have dedicated home buttons on them like phones and tablets do. A lot of users couldn't figure out how to open the menus without getting their keyboard back out, so they added a button to the screen you could click to open the menu up.

That would be a design flaw on the manufacturer side not Microsoft. I still think Microsoft is mostly doing it just as a reason to say they listen to their customers, while really not doing much at all (although I wouldn't be surprised if some people were alienated by the complete lack of a start button in the taskbar).

Sorry but no......

I still find windows 7 way easier to use.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I definitely can't say I'm one of them, although I do like W8 while using third party start menus.

you know what i will be doing an i switch  :P

If you don't like it might I recommend trying out Classic Shell?

Sorry if you guys already know this, but have you tries this layout?

dss.png

Mixed with the most used program pinned on the Task Bar.

That would be a design flaw on the manufacturer side not Microsoft. I still think Microsoft is mostly doing it just as a reason to say they listen to their customers, while really not doing much at all (although I wouldn't be surprised if some people were alienated by the complete lack of a start button in the taskbar).

And what is easier to do, change the software to add a button on the screen, or RMA every ultrabook convertible thats been released and add a button to the upper lid somewhere? 

I definitely agree about Modern UI. Have you tried a start menu replacer like Classic Shell (pretty much turns off the start screen unless you actually want to access it)?

If a UI requires hacks to make it more usable, then its not a very good UI. A good UI should not require major hacks to make it more comfortable to use. Atleast thats my opinion on softwares that ''bring back the start menu'' :P

PC in Profile

I agree... How often do most people use the start menu/screen anyway? I seldom use either, but when I do I prefer the start screen (Metro). Most of you probably don't remember, but when Windows 95 first introduced the start menu people bitched and moaned about it just as they're bitching about the start screen now; it's just that the internet wasn't as wide spread back then so it wasn't heard as often unless you were dealing with Windows users directly (my father was a cooperate software instructor so we heard it almost on a daily basis).

People hate change period. Also microsoft's analytics also say that its not used. This is increasingly so on Win7 since you can pin programs to the taskbar. With all the computer matinence and repair that I have done I would have to agree with them. As an example I use the task bar on the PC Linus uses for streaming, 2/3 of the ones pinned  there arnt open. Another one, if youve ever worked on someone's PC who still has XP. what does their desktop look like?

Nothing much changed in it by the looks of it! Also it depends on how people use it! Most of my mates dont like it! I guess you just have to get used to it! 

the point was never that people missed the button, the point was things like convertable laptops that dont have dedicated home buttons on them like phones and tablets do. A lot of users couldn't figure out how to open the menus without getting their keyboard back out, so they added a button to the screen you could click to open the menu up.

umm yes they do its the windows key....

no its does not and you never will

I and have to say this again. People have tried it, learned it and freaking hated it too. 

really? I really doubt the learned then hated it bit but I believe and have experienced the tried it and hated it.

Sorry but no......

I still find windows 7 way easier to use.

May I ask how so? everything a power user would use is in the same place it was in win7.

If a UI requires hacks to make it more usable, then its not a very good UI. A good UI should not require major hacks to make it more comfortable to use. Atleast thats my opinion on softwares that ''bring back the start menu'' :P

You said more comfortable thats something completely different that easier to use or more usable.

Nothing much changed in it by the looks of it! Also it depends on how people use it! Most of my mates dont like it! I guess you just have to get used to it! 

Its all about how you use it as you said and I think most people dont know how and thats why they dont like it.

The last thing I would like to ask all of you that are anti Start Screen and pro Start Menu is: What so you use if for? and How often do you use it? (please be as specific as possible)

O and here is the link to the Toms Hardware article about some of the new features in 8.1 that I didnt provide earlier because I was on my phone. http://goo.gl/FKFOYA

May I ask how so? everything a power user would use is in the same place it was in win7.

I just don't like the UI.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I just don't like the UI.

Hit desktop on the start screen. Its the same thing as Win7 actually better in my opinion because they got rid of Aero.

Hit desktop on the start screen. Its the same thing as Win7 actually better in my opinion because they got rid of Aero.

I like my windows being transparent.

And no it's not the same, at least original windows 8, lots of little things are different and more of an annoyance than anything else.

I have dual screens, with multiple icons on each monitor and I like the way windows 7 handles things better than 8 currently does.

Also I have no need or want for the metro UI bullshit, even If I don't have to use it, its still there.

Windows 8.1 looks better but I would need a complete rundown in a video or something to even try it.

The last thing I would like to ask all of you that are anti Start Screen and pro Start Menu is: What so you use if for? and How often do you use it? (please be as specific as possible)

I use the Start Screen to quickly jump to folder location that I use a lot. While the picture I have given is old, today I have folder to directly jump to my currently working on programming project, so that I can quickly access my source code file, and executable. Something I could simply not do with the Start Menu.

Moreover, it allows me to pin my games for allowing me to directly launch them. Before, I had to open Steam, go to library, select my game, some games have an option panel setting, so despite selecting "Play", it ask me which I want: the game or the settings panel of the game. Select the game, and click on Start... I just want to start my game! That is the best situation... sometimes I start Steam, then go on Library, then realize that it's not a Steam game, but Origin game, so I need to start Origin, go my games, and start the game... but then I realized it's not an Origin game.. it's Uplay.. of course! Silly me, let me start UPlay.... Oh for freaking sakes! I just want to play!

Here, I have direct access to my game. Click and play

Another thing I like, is that I can have my widgets on the Start Screen, like the news and weather. The widgets are FAR more powerful and useful then they were on Windows 7, and I don't need to minimize my stuff to see it. Start, and I have all the info I need. Cool ModernUI app like News Bento, a click ass RSS news allows me to read all my news in an ad-free environment, and have it pop-up on my web browser, if I choose to. And the Weather app on Windows 8.1, is simply kick ass, with the ability to view cloud / precipitation and more globally, and providing more meaning on the "percentage of raining/snowing" and for possibly how long.

if these changes are in the finale build i will for 'ones' in my life buy a real windows key

#NSA

#im

#fucked

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Start Button is on Windows 8.1 already. A button is a button.. I don't see what "proper" button means. You want it to look more like a button?

He must want a hardware button stapled to his display. =D

Absolutely, especially when the hack is used making the actual UI "go away" for the most part. Still, a bit of tweaking isn't going to discourage me so I'm happy with it, but it's definitely not good for the average consumer.

I like my windows being transparent.

And no it's not the same, at least original windows 8, lots of little things are different and more of an annoyance than anything else.

I have dual screens, with multiple icons on each monitor and I like the way windows 7 handles things better than 8 currently does.

Also I have no need or want for the metro UI bullshit, even If I don't have to use it, its still there.

Windows 8.1 looks better but I would need a complete rundown in a video or something to even try it.

I only had problems wit aero because anytime I used anything that used DirectX/Direct3D it would disable it for better compatibility.

Whats different, especially in a worse way? Please tell as I run both OS's on two different PC's that I use regularly as i actually find Win8 better.

I have tripple screens and dual screens on my PCs that have Win8 and like the nice things they added for muliscreen stuff. If your talking about desktop icons they can be on any monitor you wish, I can provide you screenshots if you wish.

What im trying to say is that nearly everything a power user would use is handled better in Win8 than Win7 and if it not handled better its the same.

The interface previously know as metro is just the new start screen, use it like a start menu. It really only has everything that need for tablet use there as well to keep continuity if your not going to use it just ignore it, you and many other already do this to other parts of windows that some of us frequent.

I use the Start Screen to quickly jump to folder location that I use a lot. While the picture I have given is old, today I have folder to directly jump to my currently working on programming project, so that I can quickly access my source code file, and executable. Something I could simply not do with the Start Menu.

Moreover, it allows me to pin my games for allowing me to directly launch them. Before, I had to open Steam, go to library, select my game, some games have an option panel setting, so despite selecting "Play", it ask me which I want: the game or the settings panel of the game. Select the game, and click on Start... I just want to start my game! That is the best situation... sometimes I start Steam, then go on Library, then realize that it's not a Steam game, but Origin game, so I need to start Origin, go my games, and start the game... but then I realized it's not an Origin game.. it's Uplay.. of course! Silly me, let me start UPlay.... Oh for freaking sakes! I just want to play!

Here, I have direct access to my game. Click and play

Another thing I like, is that I can have my widgets on the Start Screen, like the news and weather. The widgets are FAR more powerful and useful then they were on Windows 7, and I don't need to minimize my stuff to see it. Start, and I have all the info I need. Cool ModernUI app like News Bento, a click ass RSS news allows me to read all my news in an ad-free environment, and have it pop-up on my web browser, if I choose to. And the Weather app on Windows 8.1, is simply kick ass, with the ability to view cloud / precipitation and more globally, and providing more meaning on the "percentage of raining/snowing" and for possibly how long.

well thanks for pro start screen stuff, I was more look for anti start screen. either way its cool to hear how you use it. I totally understand what you mean with steam and can understand how once a game is setup you wouldnt want to deal with it. I personally like going through steam for its managing stuff and the connectivity well playing games with friends. lol I just though about that and im like wow the XBL of PC... 

Which widjets do you use? I re enabled the gadgets from win 7 and installed the sidebar from win vista so you can have it always on top which with a full screen monitor you have more than enough room.

Absolutely, especially when the hack is used making the actual UI "go away" for the most part. Still, a bit of tweaking isn't going to discourage me so I'm happy with it, but it's definitely not good for the average consumer.

All im seeing is that people are ill informed (microsft and sales peoples fault) and stuck in their ways.

"Boot to desktop" and "disable edge shortcuts" in Win 8.1 is a first step, but there's still a lot of work to do. MS should add this functionality to the start screen for desktop user productivity and efficiency.

Win 8 is not "just fine", nor are we "afraid of change", there is just certain functionality removed from the start screen that many desktop power users relied on. The 'workarounds' for this lack of functionality either don't exist or take longer/more clicks/steps, making operations less efficient and productive.

1. Resizable start screen, so it doesn't cover the entire desktop.
2. True context menu access from the start screen. Renaming and deleting shortcuts, etc.
3. All Apps sorted in even columns with nesting.
4. Nested control panel, network, favorites, recent documents/programs, restart/shutdown, etc.
5. Metro apps should be able to run in a window on the desktop.
6. Traditional search from the start screen.
7. Fix the new explorer ribbon, networks sidebar, notifications, newly metro-ized dialogue boxes, etc.
8. (superficial) Restore title bar transparency, allow tile color changing from Metro defaults, etc.

Also see: http://www.tbstactics.com/2013/07/10-things-ms-can-improve-on-with.html

Also:

Comparing Win 3.1 to 95 complaints as a way to dismiss Win 7 to 8 complaints is a fallacious false equivalency and says nothing about functionality.

You can already 'press start and type in a program name' in Win 7. This is not new to Windows 8.

Insulting people who don't like Win 8 as "afraid of change", ignorant, idiots, etc. is not only fallacious but rude and should be modded as flamebaiting. Furthermore, insulting the people who are supposed to be buying MS' products is a recipie for business failure.

"Change = good" is another often repeated yet meaningless fallacy in regards to Win 8.

Live tiles isn't a bad idea, but not at the expense of all the other removed functionality.

I'm pro-MS and I represent the majority of consumers dissatisfied with Win 8. I want MS to improve their products that will lead to better sales and more satisfied customers, rather than continue to do poorly on the market.

umm yes they do its the windows key....

you obviously didn't read at all. I'm talking about on the laptops that turn in to tablets, either by the keyboard folding back or sliding under the screen. As in no access to keyboard. Windows key is useless for those devices in tablet mode, that is why the start button was added.