Windows 8.1 Lastest Build Leak address many issues.

GoodBytes

Because, if you do this, you won't have access to the Modern UI apps, and then you'll go: "Wow. Windows Phone, Windows RT SUUUUCKKS, no apps!" Exactly like right now.

Also, it will be HELL to support. Try an ask people: Do you have a Start Screen or Start Menu.... They'll stare at you with a bland face, and go: I have what came with the system when I bought it. And every OEM will have different configuration. It will be hell to support for EVERYONE. Already, the different xWindows environment in Linux based OS, and the different OS, is a incredibly complicated to get started in getting help, which results people saying to do everything on command line, which many times, it's complicated when a simple mouse click on some button in some panel, could have done everything.

It was already a mess with XP, with the old and new Start Menu. A mistake that clearly Microsoft doesn't want to give to IT people again, and OEMs tech support team.

No you don't. There was a button for Local account only.

But don't worry, you can change anytime.

To change from a Microsoft account to local account (or do the reverse).

-> Do: Win+I

-> Select Change PC Settings at the bottom

-> Click on Users, then click on Change to Local Account or Change to Microsoft Account button

When I was installing 8.1 preview I didn't notice it. In Win8 yes, but not in 8.1.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

The thing I hate about it is that you need to link it to a Microsoft/live account, it's forcing you to use Skydrive etc etc. It's just stuff I don't need or will ever need. But most of all the required connection to a Microsoft account in the installation -.-

But unlike other people, I don't mind the Modern UI at all. In fact I kinda like it 

You dont need a microsoft account but if you dont have on your ability to use apps and other stuff will be much lower.

The thing I don't understand is why the f don't they give us the option to choose between the Start Screen and the Start Menu. How hard is it to just put a button somewhere that let's you switch?!?

They dont have both because two things to: develop, support, fix, teach, etc. Also they did this for continuity between devices running their OS(s).

When I was installing 8.1 preview I didn't notice it. In Win8 yes, but not in 8.1.

im sure its in 8.1, thoug it may not be now possibly because its the preview?

Microsoft stated clearly that you require to have your account set as a Microsoft account, for Windows 8.1 public Beta. But local account option will be there on the final version.

I can only assume that Microsoft wants to do more testing/bug fixing on that area, hence why they force it. But, using the method I mentioned above, you can switch to a Local account, despite using Windows 8.1. I have done so.

Microsoft stated clearly that you require to have your account set as a Microsoft account, for Windows 8.1 public Beta. But local account option will be there on the final version.

I can only assume that Microsoft wants to do more testing/bug fixing on that area, hence why they force it. But, using the method I mentioned above, you can switch to a Local account, despite using Windows 8.1. I have done so.

My guess its them like yea youve got to deal with that since your using it early so that we can get more data before we release, or something?

My guess its them like yea youve got to deal with that since your using it early so that we can get more data before we release, or something?

Most likely.  Microsoft is more interested in telemetry data (how people use their software), and also test further their sync settings and Modern UI apps between PC's

Because, if you do this, you won't have access to the Modern UI apps, and then you'll go: "Wow. Windows Phone, Windows RT SUUUUCKKS, no apps!" Exactly like right now.

Also, it will be HELL to support. Try an ask people: Do you have a Start Screen or Start Menu.... They'll stare at you with a bland face, and go: I have what came with the system when I bought it. And every OEM will have different configuration. It will be hell to support for EVERYONE. Already, the different xWindows environment in Linux based OS, and the different OS, is a incredibly complicated to get started in getting help, which results people saying to do everything on command line, which many times, it's complicated when a simple mouse click on some button in some panel, could have done everything.

It was already a mess with XP, with the old and new Start Menu. A mistake that clearly Microsoft doesn't want to give to IT people again, and OEMs tech support team.

Ok you and I both know that tablet users would never choose to have the start menu. The ModernUI was made for them.

Also MS can force the OEMs to not change the start screen and just leave it as default.

Also if the user is smart enough to find where to change it he is smart enough to know the difference between a start screen and a start menu. And it's not the same as when it changed from xp to vista now it is radically different. One of them is just a small rectangle in the bottom left while the other one covers the whole screen. I think it's quite easy to differentiate the two.

What I'm saying is that if Microsoft is smart they can do it in such a way that it's easy for both us and them.

PC Specs: Case: NZXT Phantom 530; Motherboard: Maximus VI Formula; CPU: Intel Haswell I5 4670k; CPU Cooler: Intel Stock (for now); RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 2x4GB 1600 MHz; GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD; HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black; SSD: Samsung 840 EVO; PSU: Corsair AX 860; Monitor: Asus MX23H

How about a shutdown, reset hibernate button thats not under a "settings button" since when is shutdown/reset a setting?

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

How about a shutdown, reset hibernate button thats not under a "settings button" since when is shutdown/reset a setting?

If no changes is done in the current Windows 8.1 public bats. It will be (in 8.1 official), in the power menu (right-click on the Start Button/hot corner)

Power_Options_Windows_8_1_Win_X_Menu.png

But you can do (Windows 8.0 and 8.1): Win+I, and you have the power button there.

Or do Alt+F4 on the desktop, and you have the shutdown menu.

This thread is just win8 guys saying they like it and the other guys saying they don't like it. i personally don't mind it but why can't some people just understand that it actually isn't for everyone.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

This thread is just win8 guys saying they like it and the other guys saying they don't like it. i personally don't mind it but why can't some people just understand that it actually isn't for everyone.

Well its meant for all windows users...

Well its meant for all windows users...

win8 or this thread, i read my post again and I'm feelin' kinda stupid at the moment

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

What is the #killedmywife tag in your signature for?

From a LTT live stream :) 

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300, MSI GTX 560TI Twin Frozr 2, 2x500GB drives, cheapo 500w PSU, cheapo HP Pavilion Elite m9000 case
#KilledMyWife

Ok you and I both know that tablet users would never choose to have the start menu. The ModernUI was made for them.

Also MS can force the OEMs to not change the start screen and just leave it as default.

Also if the user is smart enough to find where to change it he is smart enough to know the difference between a start screen and a start menu. And it's not the same as when it changed from xp to vista now it is radically different. One of them is just a small rectangle in the bottom left while the other one covers the whole screen. I think it's quite easy to differentiate the two.

What I'm saying is that if Microsoft is smart they can do it in such a way that it's easy for both us and them.

no one said anything about vista...

They did WIn8 Start Screen. Is it really that horrible?

I used Windows 8 for a while and I must say having been using something like the start menu for over a decade it's gonna take some getting used to come on guys! I was absolutely fuming and I thought it was the worst thing ever, how could they do this to us etc.

Now I've realised hey I'm actually just happy using Windows 7, what's the rush? It works and I like it and that's good enough for me. Kind of like my Dad who still uses Windows XP (but also 7 occasionally).

If its on a machine at my University I'm not going to refuse to use it and demand they install 7 back, I'm just going to deal with it.

I'm sure the next time I pick it up I won't be as shocked and repulsed.. (I hope  :P)

I used Windows 8 for a while and I must say having been using something like the start menu for over a decade it's gonna take some getting used to come on guys! I was absolutely fuming and I thought it was the worst thing ever, how could they do this to us etc.

Now I've realised hey I'm actually just happy using Windows 7, what's the rush? It works and I like it and that's good enough for me. Kind of like my Dad who still uses Windows XP (but also 7 occasionally).

If its on a machine at my University I'm not going to refuse to use it and demand they install 7 back, I'm just going to deal with it.

I'm sure the next time I pick it up I won't be as shocked and repulsed.. (I hope  :P)

you probably will be but just hit desktop or WIn+D

Every new iteration of Windows and the changes to the GUI pisses off people, even those that haven't actually used said iteration. Get used to it, and all shall be fine and dandy.

False "Win 3.1 to 95 = Win 7 to 8" equivalency, and an arrogant "deal with it" dismissal. Why not discuss functionality instead?

At this point we should ask MS to improve the start screen for desktop users, as MS isn't bringing the start menu back. Having a dual start menu/start screen would probably not be a good solution.

False "Win 3.1 to 95 = Win 7 to 8" equivalency, and an arrogant "deal with it" dismissal. Why not discuss functionality instead?

At this point we should ask MS to improve the start screen for desktop users, as MS isn't bringing the start menu back. Having a dual start menu/start screen would probably not be a good solution.

I never stated this equivalency.

As a desktop user, I'm perfectly fine with the start screen.

you obviously didn't read at all. I'm talking about on the laptops that turn in to tablets, either by the keyboard folding back or sliding under the screen. As in no access to keyboard. Windows key is useless for those devices in tablet mode, that is why the start button was added. 

AFAIK it is a hardware requirement that all hybrids have a windows button on the screen side (Yoga, split X2, taichi all have a button on that part) so that can't be the reason.

"Why restrict yourself to a few items, when you can have everything." Covering the whole screen interrupts workflow and prevents multitasking productivity. I would like it if it took about 1/4 of the screen like the start menu, so I can still see the desktop.

By nested control panel this is what I mean: http://techfleece.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/42.jpg

1) If I am looking at the start menu/screen I am looking at the start menu screen so it does not help me to have something else on screen, I'm not a chameleon, I look at 1 point at a time

2) That looks horrible and is actually hard to use because it requires a great deal of precision, we're just used to it.

Tutorials on how to use the bloody thing sound good.

I saw a win 8.0 laptop on display recently and my friend challenged me to open the control panel.

I failed.

I saw a win 8.0 laptop on display recently and my friend challenged me to open the control panel.

I failed.

:) I agree, but to answer your challenge that was given to you:

1a- right-click on Start hot corner -> Select: Control Panel

1b- Win+X -> Select: Control Panel

2- Open My Computer > On the ribbon bar section: "computer", select Control Panel

3- Open Start Screen -> type in empty space: Control Panel

4a- Win+C -> Settings -> Control Panel

4b- Slide mouse at the bottom or top corner and slide to middle left edge -> Settings -> Control Panel

Are you sure there is a no remaster?

Yes, I'm absolutely sure. I've already hunted through the various online retailers for remasters and even through some alternative sources for patches/fan remasters.

Not even the great and powerful gog was able to help with this one.

Yes, I'm absolutely sure. I've already hunted through the various online retailers for remasters and even through some alternative sources for patches/fan remasters.

Not even the great and powerful gog was able to help with this one.

Ok. Well you can just DOSBox it.

Ok. Well you can just DOSBox it.

But I don't need to use DOSBox with them on Windows 7. When I tried W8 I did try DOSBox, but it just flat-out refused to work with some of the titles I tried. It worked with some, but not all. Apparently this isn't rare or anything, as a lot of people I've talked to have had similar issues with it.

I failed.

Win+X then press P or click control panel

you could also Win+E then type in control pannel

But I don't need to use DOSBox with them on Windows 7. When I tried W8 I did try DOSBox, but it just flat-out refused to work with some of the titles I tried. It worked with some, but not all. Apparently this isn't rare or anything, as a lot of people I've talked to have had similar issues with it.

Still dont think people should expect a brand new OD to support stuff that old. You be better off having a install of XP on another partition or drive for best compatibility. You could try playing in a VM too.