Why did everybody give up on Windows 8 so fast?

NinjaStyle013

I understand that yes it s massive change but from what I've seen its a jump in the right direction.

The new start screen seems wonderful, it creates this nice easy to use interface that is super easy to switch to, going to desktop would always create problems for me which sucks if I have 2 programs running. They even added the feature to switch to programs instantly via a little bar similar to iOS and its double tap home thing. This hides the ugly task bars that pollute the previous desktop.

The start page offers this place to just jump and launch and it kinda doesn't look like a computer it makes it feel like... A multimedia centre almost, much much more up to date.

They also have a way to share the entire screen with another program which is possible with windows 7 but it requires manual scaling and it isn't truly full screen. This allows people such as Slick and Linus to have twitch chat open while also having something like Razer Comms up or something else like a web page. Would love to hear both Slicks and Linuses opinion on this in this thread...

It also has performance increases for games which I mean should be a selling point there. It's newer and will be supported longer than 7 meaning its relativity future proof a bit.

This is purely from the small demos I've had with it in shops and what I've seen.

Why do people recoil at it so much I understand its a lot different but there was no need for people to go "it's bad, it's for tablets, vista was bad 7 was good this has to be bad". Lemme hear you opinions on this.

i ike windows 8 but it has to have startisback, can't stand the metro it doesn't seem to make sense to have a large box to click on when my mouse can click accurate to 1 pixel.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

No start button ... Haha, I haven't tried it yet. Too poor for that.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

Nothings wrong with windows 8, just install StartIsBack or an equivalent program and get rid of all the charms and adds a start menu, and your good to go.

I have win8 on my main pc and win7 on my notebook. And everytime I'm on my notebook I realize how stupid win8 is :-)

Windows 8 is very fun with touch.

It's a bother without it since I end up touching the screen anyway.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE SHEEP! They hear it was bad (mind you it was still in beta!) and they hate on it. Windows 8 fan right here. I love the better multi monitor support, nicer task manager and file transfer logo aswell as the BSOD screen. I don't think windows 7 did anything better than windows 8. Aslong as i can install a start bar like classic shell, i am fine/

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Coolermaster hyper 212 evo push+pull

Powercolor 7950 pcs+ @1100 mhz core 1400mhz mem

Coolermaster haf 912 advanced 120mm rear, 200mm top 200mm front

Corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600 MHZ

Windows 8 64bit

Silverstone essentials 500w ST50F-ES

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

I have it on my laptop and I have a license for my PC as well.

I like it as long as it has startisback, though I do use the windows key to activate the metro UI.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Once you get used to it, it is ok. OK, not good certainly. However some things on metro don't seem to make sense like the entire sideways scrolling.
I also hate how they took out the Win95 Theme that was highly customizable. Now I have the choice of the window colour... seriously? search is a lot more awkward, and it seems like they try to avoid you using the desktop as much as possible, which still is the place where most programs are running.

Metro UI, in my opinion, is an attempt to introduce a Windows market to the desktop users. You could say they could just put a market as a shortcut in the start menu but nobody would actually want to click it. This market allows you to install apps with one button but you don't get the install screens with the options and Next buttons to specify how you want the apps to install.

Metro just makes me feel more limited.

I don't really care about the new task manager, I use Sysinternal's Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653)

I like the rest of win8 though, I have tried it.

Intel Core i5 4670k 》Asus Z87 GRYPHON 》8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz

Asus R9 280 STRIX 3GB》Samsung 840EVO 250gb 》Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Corsair GS 800W 》Corsair 350D Case 》Corsair Hydro H110

I tried Windows 8. It was great, had to add the start button though. There was a major problem with my triple setup which didn't occur in Windows 7. I'v come back to Windows 7 and the problem has occurred as-well 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I think most people were just too disappointed with the fact that Microsoft was trying to push an touch screen optimised OS onto the PC. I use Windows 8 and haven't even used Modern UI ever since I've got it. I think trying to fix something that is already done right is nearlly always a bad move and in my eyes Modern UI was, at least for the desktop PCs. For laptops and tablets it isn't so bad since you either touch the screen or use the trackpad. Instead of putting all of their money on Modern UI they should have tried more with adapting more to other environments that their system is used in such as gaming. I prefer Windows 8 over Windows 7 mainly because it boots a lot faster and seems a tiny bit snappier. In my eyes the Modern UI on a desktop PC just looks retarded since it takes too much space on the screen provinding a lot less content than a the UI used in Windows 7 making the tiles look chunky especially if you use a screen that is 24'+ or a multi-monitor setup. Funny enough the tiles were supposed to work the way they do on the Windows Phone; be of resonable size and give you as much information as they can without launching the application when they are live tiles. That's why Windows 8 for most of the users is bad but I think it's ok untill you use Startisback or any other program that brings back the start menu.

People are afraid of change. They don't take their time to learn the OS and instead they go on the internet where it's cool to hate on Windows 8. While reading all the negative posts about Windows 8 about features they have not yet experienced themselves to make their own judgement. They simply say "no, this sucks" and re-install the slow Windows 7 OS.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

Windows 8 is completely fine if you install StartisBack. Otherwise it's unusable (for me).

I have it running on my laptop because the fingerprint login is much improved.  

I have not moved to win8 on my desktop yet as I still need the file versioning function that they removed.  I also use gadget (and prefer not to install hacks on it).. and my setup is too entrenched.

I didn't like the surface and how win8 handles tasks and app switching.

At the same time, I wonder if these people who "given up" or claims "it's not for desktop, it's for tablets" even tried it in the first place. sheeeeeep

My Rigs (past and present)

I agree with everyone in this thread, I didn't think I would get such a big turn out of 8users.

I just realised people who hate windows 8 are h8ers hollllllyyy crap

Anyways, I like the UI, someone said there wasn't a point in having big tiles but I think there is, if you can put all your commonly used apps into one place and use the commonest to be larger it becomes super easy to use. It looks way better than just a desktop icon too.

Touch interfaces.

The new UI is built with touch in mind. Problem is, touchscreens are still in a transition period, and largely on laptops or tablets. Desktop touchscreen monitors are slowly making their way into the mainstream consumer market. Also, they're expensive: http://www.newegg.ca/Touchscreen-Monitors/SubCategory/ID-514

I'm against Windows in general though. Eventual goal is to focus solely on Linux, with Windows on VM.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I like windows 8 I have had no problems with it

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

I like it as long as I have a touch screen

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

I've had W8 since release. It was horrible to start with but I'm completely sold on it. If I use a PC with windows 7 it just feels weird. And when people moan about the metro start screen, I use it exactly the same way as I used the Windows 7 start button. Type what I'm looking for then hit enter. I never use it and go through the full list or screen when looking for a program.

The Phoenix | i7 3930K 4.6Ghz | Z79A-GD45 Plus | 2 x GTX 780 SLI | 16GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz | Two 240GB Samsung 840s | 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD | Silverstone TJ07 | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop

Streaming PC/LAN Rig | i7 920 3Ghz | Biostar X58 T-Power | GTX 460 1024Mb | 8GB XMS3 1333Mhz | 120GB Corsair SSD | Avermedia Live gamer HD C985 

I love it, I don't know much about gaming because I don't play it much but I love it. Especially the Store.

i have windows 8 and start menu app and im fine with it....i like the look and its fast and very easy to use....ive had no problems with it so far plus hybrid boot is an awesoem feature...my pc boots in like 10 seconds...

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |