Why did everybody give up on Windows 8 so fast?

NinjaStyle013

Having troubles with the forum, not getting notes when I get replies.

Thanks for the input people, wanted a community view before I brought, you can keep flying if you want don't think I'm closing the topic!

Used windows 8 pro with Start8 installed. However, I stopped using it. I use it with an 8350, and for a gaming computer, the modern UI is really useful. It orginizes your game library and I have no need to use the steam software unless it requires me to launch it off steam.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Who's everybody?

I like w8, even if it wont run all of games.

Examples? I haven't come across one game that won't.

No start button ... Haha, I haven't tried it yet. Too poor for that.

Startisback, etc. Also there's a Windows key on your keyboard.

Touch interfaces.

The new UI is built with touch in mind. Problem is, touchscreens are still in a transition period, and largely on laptops or tablets. Desktop touchscreen monitors are slowly making their way into the mainstream consumer market. Also, they're expensive: http://www.newegg.ca/Touchscreen-Monitors/SubCategory/ID-514

I'm against Windows in general though. Eventual goal is to focus solely on Linux, with Windows on VM.

It's so easy to navigate with a mouse and keyboard.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I believe it was partially due to the introduction iOs/Android, the first impression of Windows8 to seasoned Windows users is that it's very counter-intuitive for mouse/keyboard use due to how it is instantly associated with a touchscreen.

I for example tried out Windows 8 for a couple minutes @ local stores, decided i don't like it (Was using a trackpad, which may be a mistake since i always use mice) and went with W7 instead, i might go for W8 for my next build though, due to the stark performance advantages that W8 carries with it.

I already have Windows 7, it does everything I need, why pay to move to Win8 and then jump through hoops to get back features (Start Menu) I use in Win7. Seems simpler to save my money and stay on Win7.

That and I don't have a touchscreen, Win8 is definitely geared more towards being touch friendly than Win7.

FC3,FC2,FC1,JC and JC2

FC2/3 and JC2 run fine for me, did you try googling?

I believe it was partially due to the introduction iOs/Android, the first impression of Windows8 to seasoned Windows users is that it's very counter-intuitive for mouse/keyboard use due to how it is instantly associated with a touchscreen.

I for example tried out Windows 8 for a couple minutes @ local stores, decided i don't like it (Was using a trackpad, which may be a mistake since i always use mice) and went with W7 instead, i might go for W8 for my next build though, due to the stark performance advantages that W8 carries with it.

I don't get it - it essentially functions identically, but takes up the whole screen. It's very easy to navigate with a keyboard and mouse (or trackpad). I'd argue it's better because of the way or sorts files and lets you jump between programs/setting/files, plus different apps.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

FC2/3 and JC2 run fine for me, did you try googling?

i have tried everything, and JC2 crashes at launch, and just causes will stay at loading screen

I dont really mind windows 8 and i dont have any of that start is back stuff

I am a happy wuffy

I don't get it - it essentially functions identically, but takes up the whole screen. It's very easy to navigate with a keyboard and mouse (or trackpad). I'd argue it's better because of the way or sorts files and lets you jump between programs/setting/files, plus different apps.

I'd argue that you don't understand preferences aside from your own. See where i'm getting at?

I'd argue that you don't understand preferences aside from your own. See where i'm getting at?

mmmmmmmmmmmmm nope. I tend to look at things objectively  :)

mmmmmmmmmmmmm nope. I tend to look at things objectively  :)

Then you have clearly just shown that you don't understand the concept of preference ._."

INTJ much? Pretty clear giveaway haha

Edit: Nvm let's not derail the thread

Then you have clearly just shown that you don't understand the concept of preference ._."

INTJ much? Pretty clear giveaway haha

Edit: Nvm let's not derail the thread

I don't understand any of this post...

Using Win8 for a good 3 months now, and find it hard to complain bout anything once the necessary changes are made.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I also like windows 8, as long as you use some program to get the start menu back and get rid of the "modern ui" or whatever they call it, it works flawlessly.

Startisback, etc. Also there's a Windows key on your keyboard.

It's not really the same feel as Windows 7 though. I've actually trialed Windows 8 after seeing this thread but I've returned back to Windows 7. I miss the faster operations of 8 though, especially with shut down and boot up. I also have my Windows key deactivated; I have a tendency to press it when I try to crouch (Ctrl) in games :P

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

It's not really the same feel as Windows 7 though. I've actually trialed Windows 8 after seeing this thread but I've returned back to Windows 7. I miss the faster operations of 8 though, especially with shut down and boot up. I also have my Windows key deactivated; I have a tendency to press it when I try to crouch (Ctrl) in games :P

Did you actually try a start menu replacement though? And start up and shut down has been faster on every computer I own as well as everybody I know's computer that runs it.

this is what I always say about windows 8,

It is an outstanding OS....For touch screen devices where touch screen is the main input method (not touch screen monitor on a workstation) but for a desktop where keyboard and mouse are the main input, just no.

Like with most things, they make the main focous of the design on a single aspect, a neich of the overall market. I think it should of been realeased as Windows touch or windows sense or some other cheesy name to make it sound eligant, but not as the successor to windows 7.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini / Motherboard:GigaByte G1-Sniper-M5 / CPU: Intel 4670k / Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz / GPU: Asus GTX770 Direct CU 2GB / PSU: OCZ ZT650 / SSD: 2xSamsung 840 240GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Cooler: Corsair H100i / Fans: 3x Corsair AF120 + 2 Corsair SP120 / Mouse: Corsair M65 / Keyboard: Cheap Crap/ Headset: Razer Kraken / Misk: 3DConnexion mouse / Flight stick: Cyborg F.L.Y 5

Did you actually try a start menu replacement though? And start up and shut down has been faster on every computer I own as well as everybody I know's computer that runs it.

Yeah. Can't remember which one I used though. I think I bought it for $3 and was for 3 PCs or something. Everything's quick about it, I just don't like the UI as much as 7.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

I love the task manager and other good stuff, but I absolutely hate the start screen. It's okay for phones and tablets, but for PC it's horrendous. They should have optimized the start screen for PC or removed it.

What you're describing is highly subjective, far from objective. I've actually used Windows 8 with a touch screen multiple times at a Microsoft store. Touch navigation is infinitely better than mouse/keyboard, and that's not surprising considering the Metro interface debuted on Tablet/Phones, taking full advantage of touchscreens. 

Just because Mouse/keyboard is ACCEPTABLE for navigation doesn't change the fact that Windows 8's UI was designed with Touch in mind (which is pretty obvious considering the navigation features it boasts). Windows 8 is far more intuitive with a touchscreen. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

What you're describing is highly subjective, far from objective. I've actually used Windows 8 with a touch screen multiple times at a Microsoft store. Touch navigation is infinitely better than mouse/keyboard, and that's not surprising considering the Metro interface debuted on Tablet/Phones, taking full advantage of touchscreens. 

Just because Mouse/keyboard is ACCEPTABLE for navigation doesn't change the fact that Windows 8's UI was designed with Touch in mind (which is pretty obvious considering the navigation features it boasts). Windows 8 is far more intuitive with a touchscreen. 

nah its easier to use windows 8 with a mouse and keyboard. touch is not as accurate. windows 8 looks good on a desktop and the large icons are asthethics once you customize the UI. All the people who are saying modern ui is horrendous on a desktop has never bothered to organize it.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

nah its easier to use windows 8 with a mouse and keyboard. touch is not as accurate. windows 8 looks good on a desktop and the large icons are asthethics once you customize the UI. All the people who are saying modern ui is horrendous on a desktop has never bothered to organize it.

See this is what I'm looking forward to when I get windows 8, the ability to lay out all my games awesomely.

I could have steam a double wide icon, my favourite game the same with other being smaller.

Tools to customize 8 installation gonna show up im gonna hit 8. By that time games should be a-ok with 8 plus new OEM licence is nice.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!