Issue with the "Like if you want to see *x*" strategy

ShaithEatery

I know some here will make long, drawn out posts about some minor thing that bothers them about LMG videos, so I'm going to try to keep it as concise as possible:

I don't like how the intro to every video now asks people to like the video if they want to see something in the future, and then at the end still ask them to also like the video if they, well, liked the video itself.  If I didn't like the video, but want to see what is teased at the beginning, why should I like the video if I didn't like the content of the video itself?  I'd prefer them to go back to saying something like "stay tuned!" or "stay subscribed to see *x*!" because in all the cases I can recall the teased video asking for a like if you want to see it has always come, and I'd be surprised if it really is due to likes.

I watch on Vessel, and will continue to watch as the videos are entertaining, but I just felt like mentioning this one small thing as my own feedback.  Does anyone else share this view on it?

I think its smart and a great reminder because i forget alot. I think he makes it funny and i look forward to see whats coming.

EDIT: I use vessel

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

well.. its kind of an all in one:

- begging for likes, because its the thing to do.

- teasing upcoming content

- if the video suddenly has a HUGE amount of dislikes compared to other videos, we can consider maybe people arent really interested in said upcoming content.

I think its smart and a great reminder because i forget alot. I think he makes it funny and i look forward to see whats coming.

EDIT: I use vessel

That's why I bring up the "stay subscribed!" intro they used to do as that still reminded people of upcoming videos, but didn't ask people to like a video that they may not have liked other than the teaser for another upcoming video. I don't want to just complain; I wanted to also offer some sort of suggestion as well as just complaining isn't very constructive.

well.. its kind of an all in one:
- begging for likes, because its the thing to do.
- teasing upcoming content
- if the video suddenly has a HUGE amount of dislikes compared to other videos, we can consider maybe people arent really interested in said upcoming content.

I can imagine the telemetry on seeing how many likes a video gets with this strategy can't ever be truly compiled if there's no way to distinguish whether someone liked the video for the video or for the teaser, or both for that matter.

why wouldnt they do it? they are not playing around. they want to make money, just like you and me ;)

I can imagine the telemetry on seeing how many likes a video gets with this strategy can't ever be truly compiled if there's no way to distinguish whether someone liked the video for the video or for the teaser, or both for that matter.

well yes, its not a very good metric to measure two things with one sensor, but you'd be surprised how noticable it could be.

(still, its better than not knowing at all)

If Linus teases a video you can bet your ass that video is already at least in the design stage if not already shot and in the editing den so it really makes no difference if you like or not, the video is still coming.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

If more people like you didn't like it, then they wouldn't have bars full of likes anymore. Most people appreciate the teaser and want to see more, so I don't see what's wrong with it.

If Linus teases a video you can bet your ass that video is already at least in the design stage if not already shot and in the editing den so it really makes no difference if you like or not, the video is still coming.

That was my thinking.  Just look at the time between a video coming out on Youtube with a certain teaser, and then how long it takes for the fully finished video to come to Vessel.

And for those who say who cares, like I said I know it's a minor thing, I'm just bored at work and thought I'd share some feedback is all, I know it's not a critical issue.

If it's this big of an issue, don't watch the videos anymore. Otherwise, being a consumer of the content doesn't entitle you to a say in how it's produced. When LMG wants your input, they'll ask for it.

If it's this big of an issue, don't watch the videos anymore. Otherwise, being a consumer of the content doesn't entitle you to a say in how it's produced. When LMG wants your input, they'll ask for it.

I think in most of my posts here, I've said that it isn't a big issue in some form or fashion, so you're wrong thinking that I feel like it is a big issue.  Secondly, no company however big or small should ever only accept input or feedback from it's customers (yes, even though it's free content, we the viewers are the customers for any content creator) when they ask.  Any successful company will always welcome feedback at any time as long as it's well-formed, constructive, and non-antagonistic.  It would be ignorant to do otherwise.

I know some here will make long, drawn out posts about some minor thing that bothers them about LMG videos, so I'm going to try to keep it as concise as possible:

I don't like how the intro to every video now asks people to like the video if they want to see something in the future, and then at the end still ask them to also like the video if they, well, liked the video itself. If I didn't like the video, but want to see what is teased at the beginning, why should I like the video if I didn't like the content of the video itself? I'd prefer them to go back to saying something like "stay tuned!" or "stay subscribed to see *x*!" because in all the cases I can recall the teased video asking for a like if you want to see it has always come, and I'd be surprised if it really is due to likes.

I watch on Vessel, and will continue to watch as the videos are entertaining, but I just felt like mentioning this one small thing as my own feedback. Does anyone else share this view on it?

I had picked up on that, too. It seems like a cheap way to try to get Likes on a video that a viewer is watching but might not actually like. Considering that Likes help out a channel's visibility to the general public, it's a bit tacky. There are only a few occasions when I Like a video (not just Linus Tech Tips). But not Liking it doesn't mean I don't like it. Google has an formula set to determine when some one has "Viewed" the video. More often than not, my View is my way of casting a vote of thumbs-up for whatever I'm watching. The video has to be something really special for me to click a Like button.

I would prefer it if LMG would read the comments (yes, I know that's a daunting task sometimes, but hey, it's part of the gig) to find out what viewers want to see. It has been said that Linus gave up reading them in favor of the forum, but a small percentage of YouTube viewers post on the forum. And even fewer will create a thread asking/voting for a particular kind of content.

Pretty much every youtuber does it, it's necesary, self promotion is the only promotion you get when you produce your own content, it's just a call out for people to remember to keep engaging with the channel.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

LTT will upload the next video about whatever they talk about in a previous video anyways so it's a crappy tactic. So, I skip over it.

Ye ole' train

Pretty much every youtuber does it, it's necesary, self promotion is the only promotion you get when you produce your own content, it's just a call out for people to remember to keep engaging with the channel.

I may not watch as many other Youtubers but to the best of my knowledge, I don't recall many asking to like a video to gauge interest in a completely unrelated video to the one being watched.  Can you name a few that do this as well?  I'd like to see how they do it to compare.

It's just a way of asking people to "like" the video, without sounding out of place. It's also a sneaky way of telling people the next upcoming video, to get returning viewers. They already have the next video shot, edited and probably uploaded too, so liking the current video isn't going to change anything.

It was a bit annoying to me at first, but now it feels like a running gag and I chuckle evertim

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I won't lie, it pisses me off for one reason, when they first started to do it the 'if you want to see this' video was already on vessel or even released on YT. Meaning that they don't give a single fuck about if you like or not for that video, you are getting the content and they are just being the 'like whore'. I don't mind like if you enjoyed the video or whatever though, that is a fair request.

I may not watch as many other Youtubers but to the best of my knowledge, I don't recall many asking to like a video to gauge interest in a completely unrelated video to the one being watched.  Can you name a few that do this as well?  I'd like to see how they do it to compare.

Tyler Oakley literally asks for a number of likes for each vid, and nothing wrong with that, you gotta realize the competition this guys face, and when they are asking their viewers to like a video for something they will do anyway. But also, the 'like if you want x' formula has one big problem, it has to be said before the video, before people actually watch the content, Linus knows what he's doing, he's one of the biggest tech guys in youtube and he started from nothing, and any measure that helps them grow and get the benefits they deserve for making content i consume, i say fuck yeah, do what you gotta do.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

What I want to see is if some arbitrary number of likes isn't met, they don't release the video.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

There's a Canadian Youtuber here on Ontario (can't remember his name) who reviews fast food, and when he first started up he would literally ask for a certain number of likes for him to do the next review. with each video he would increase the number of likes he wanted to do to next review. Then, in the next review he would mention the like goal the previous video had reached, to justify the current video. It worked and afaik his channel is quite successful now (aside from his on screen personality and hard work too). I don't think he does the 'like goal' anymore, but for a youtuber starting out I think its a cool technique.

For LTT on the other hand, it seems really dumb as they don't say how many likes needed -and like you say- the next video is often already uploaded anyway. I think its the lazy and risk-free approach of ltt that annoys me in this case.

**edit** its this guy I was thinking of. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsKDjB0_6MJ2SzoAkeMRJbw

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

The attention span of your average youtube user is quite short, I don't care if LMG says "like if you want to see X", I know they will do eventually.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I'm also against begging for like in the beginning of video. Then ending mantra isn't that bad. And that one is currently more funny as they seem to do it literally after finishing last "scene" of video. Like the (Vessel Warning!) desk build log. Asking for like and them basicly having no effect to video release just feels stupid. They could do better. Like ask to subscribe or do some other teaser-style.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv