Which GTX970 to get..

The time has come around build a new PC for my sister and as her processor (i7-2600 @3.4Ghz) is still quite good and the RAM (12GB) is plenty the GPU is worth an upgrade.

Now the GTX550ti is getting pretty toasty and I decided to go with a GTX970!

As it is supposed to be quite quiet I don't think a Blower Style Cooler would be appropiate.

So with which Vendor to go?

Here are the options in my country with current pricing: (Read here) (I know its german but I think you should be able to identify them!)

The price shouldn't overgo the 350€ mark!

Idc about the length as long as it is not more than 300mm

So with which model to go?

Please tell me your suggestions!

blubb

Sapphire R9 390 8...

I MEAN EVGA ACx2.0 or any MSI.

Wait.. You know what I meant :P

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Sapphire or MSI 390

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

if you want a blower 970 go for the stock or the gtx 970 turbo, its awesome looking

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Get the gtx R9 390 8gb(msi,nitro,powercolor,xfx).....

or the gigabyte g1 970.

The site has changed....

so, waving over the users recommending AMD, i'm gonna get into the GTX970 side of things.

what'll your sister be doing with her system?

if she's the stereotypical sister, it'll be used for cat videos and sims.

in which case, get one with the zero fan thingy. it's amazing.

i have the strix, which isnt known for its legendary cooling performance, and when my system is idle, the entire system is whisper quiet, to the point the highway half a mile away with a forest in between makes more noise.

--

i cant confirm this, but i've heard the gigabyte G1 is loud as all hell compared to the others.

Get the gtx R9 390 8gb(msi,nitro,powercolor,xfx).....

or the gigabyte g1 970.

Sadly the G1 is 312mm. 12mm over OP's requirement. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Sadly the G1 is 312mm. 12mm over OP's requirement. 

my bad, evga seems the best option here, or the gigabyte one that has 1 fan and is designed for mATX builds.

The site has changed....

- snip -

Yeah she's playing GTAV, Lol in 1080p and I already thought about that zero-fan-mode-thingy.

As everybody is recommending the R9 390, is it really a performance gain over the gtx970?

blubb

--

i cant confirm this, but i've heard the gigabyte G1 is loud as all hell compared to the others.

I have one and it's stock boost speed is around 1440 Mhz it is beast

snip

The G1 gaming is the best in performance I know of for 970's so if you get a 970 I'd say go with that, it is 348 euros so at the top of you budget, but it won't fit sorry about that

Edited by AresKrieger

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

my bad, evga seems the best option here, or the gigabyte one that has 1 fan and is designed for mATX builds.

i've heard much good from evga, but for some reason they arent all that common around here. (i actually only know of one store in belgium that carries them)

i'm probably gonna bet on one of the ACX2 EVGA cards, or one of the red MSIs

Yeah she's playing GTAV, Lol in 1080p and I already thought about that zero-fan-mode-thingy.

As everybody is recommending the R9 390, is it really a performance gain over the gtx970?

generally yes

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Yes but not in GTA5.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gta_v_pc_graphics_performance_review,5.html

according to this source the 290 and 290x perform similar to the 970, but theres more things to consider than straight forward performance (for me at least)

They throw punches back and forth. It really depends on the game. But the 390 has double hte usable VRAM and over double the amount of fast VRAM.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

They throw punches back and forth. It really depends on the game. But the 390 has double hte usable VRAM and over double the amount of fast VRAM.

which honestly, the "3.5GB" is *fine* for GTA V. VRAM doesnt equal performance. and i'm running my singular 970 just fine, even when playing multiple games at once every so often.

from my experience, unless your game is an absolute VRAM hog, the core caps out before the memory does.

I have one and it's stock boost speed is around 1440 Mhz it is beast

interesting how you quote a post about nosie with a post about performance.

i feel like theres regrets burried deep inside somewhere? xD

which honestly, the "3.5GB" is *fine* for GTA V. VRAM doesnt equal performance. and i'm running my singular 970 just fine, even when playing multiple games at once every so often.

from my experience, unless your game is an absolute VRAM hog, the core caps out before the memory does.

I've had over 4GB of VRAM usage on my 390. Mainly when using VSR.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

I've had over 4GB of VRAM usage on my 390. Mainly when using VSR.

wellyes, because you're "rendering" in 4K

i should actually do some tests on source engine (my favourite engine to test on, mainly because i like watching lostcoast) to see how much resolution impacts vram usage.

interesting how you quote a post about nosie with a post about performance.

i feel like theres regrets burried deep inside somewhere? xD

No it's not that loud--> if it didn't resonate with my glass side window :( , but it might be louder than some other ones idk I don't have those

No it's not that loud--> if it didn't resonate with my glass side window :( , but it might be louder than some other ones idk I don't have those

ah, the good old resonating.

my hard drive resonates with my fan filter. fun times xD

In most games they perform within 2-3 FPS difference and in some the 390 really pulls ahead. Overall the 390 is a better bang for the buck and the only downside of it is the higher power consumption. If you want a GTX 970, check EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+. It's a solid card. :)

For GTA 5 check this

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

SO with an emphasis on quietness i think I'll take the 970 over the 390 as the 390 runs really hot and the fans always spin unless it has a *massive* cooler.

And to the suggestion of @manikyath i took al look at the zero-fan-mode ones and found the Palit GeForce GTX 970 JetStream with quite good rezensations!

what's your opinion on that one?

blubb