Help Me Find the Battery Bank Guy!

Sam Z Man
1 minute ago, Admiral Naismith said:

-snip-

Just got to MSI Afterburner and cap the output to 144FPS.

1 minute ago, TheCovertCamper said:

Just got to MSI Afterburner and cap the output to 144FPS.

Even then though tests I ran restricted as low as 15 fps were terrible; arguably worse because the lower note carried better.

i.e. the 'fix' is not a fix. I can restrict minecraft to 1 fps and it still sounds like four year old skrillex trying to make dubstep.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Just now, Admiral Naismith said:

i.e. the 'fix' is not a fix. I can restrict minecraft to 1 fps and it still sounds like four year old skrillex trying to make dubstep.

My GTX 770 did have bad coil whine, I never really cared for it though. I guess we all hear differently. 

5 minutes ago, TheCovertCamper said:

My GTX 770 did have bad coil whine, I never really cared for it though. I guess we all hear differently. 

This is why I get so salty though. Everyone is like "R9 290 had bad whine", "780 had bad whine, ur just b*tchin'", etc.. I've seen and heard those... None of them were like this. This.. I've heard 'bad' whine before, this is well beyond that. This is a special kind of hell. You could see this in the disproportionate amount of complaints in early 900 series stuff. It was bad. Nvidia knew their power delivery system sucked but didn't want to take the loss. It got buried so anyone who didn't get subjected to it never really heard about it except for the odd 'complainer'. Coil whine is difficult to accurately pick up with your average Iphone microphone, so it was hard to convince anyone. Once the 'fixed; stuff started entering the market after a couple months no one ever heard from it again.

/rant?

You get used to the sound in the same way you get used to tornado/airraid sirens. So really my saltiness is in how the community/nvidia/media reacted (or rather how they didn't).  (Interesting thing to note, sirens do the 'spin-up-spin-down' thing because your ears would get used to the sound.)

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

44 minutes ago, Admiral Naismith said:

I was an early buyer....

Basically the earlier 900s (particularly the 970) had massive coil whine issues. Pure speculation on my part, but I'm fairly confident that Nvidia made it so none of the big outlets would report on it. Samples that were known to be sent to any notable reviewer were checked to be clean. That way, as far as media was concerned, they were either required to shut up, paid off, or believed to just be exaggerated. Half the reviews on Newegg, however, featured complaints of coilwhine. Users on forums who were regurgitating claimed it was all just noobs who "don't know that's what high end GPUs sound like" (actual quote).  I, being new to all of this, trusted the many reviewers who brushed it off. Turned out I'm a f*cking idiot for doing so and am now left with... this. Being from the midwest I feel the comparison to a squealing pig is appropriate. When playing *any* game, I can hear it clearly through very good headphones playing music. I can hear it across the room clear as day. There are no fixes short of stupid-low underclocks (stupidly high OCs also work if you do well in the silicon lottery). Many people would get fixes if they capped their FPS (using V-sync and such) at ~60fps. Not an option for me because I like twitch shooters and use a 144hz monitor, so anything below 144 fps is just dumb. Even then though tests I ran restricted as low as 15 fps were terrible; arguably worse because the lower note carried better.

/rant

Lesson learned, never be an early adopter when there are other, established options (i.e. the R9 290X at the time). Also don't trust reviewers completely for anything besides overviews on features and specs. Will be trying to grab a good deal on current gen stuff when the next gen starts coming out.

Edit- Wow, two rants on a thread. I'm on a roll... Quick, someone ask me about politics!

Wow I haven't had any issues with either of mine, I guess I'm lucky

Just now, thatguyyouknow75 said:

Wow I haven't had any issues with either of mine, I guess I'm lucky

Yeah I used to have a GTX 970, got mine the day that they were in stock and never had whine.

2 hours ago, TheCovertCamper said:

Yeah I used to have a GTX 970, got mine the day that they were in stock and never had whine.

Also never ran into a vram issue despite what the majority of the forum believes

19 minutes ago, thatguyyouknow75 said:

Also never ran into a vram issue despite what the majority of the forum believes

The 'vram' incident really was just people making a big deal out of nothing. It was 4gb advertised, you got 4gb. It was just 3.5 with a small performance hit when you spilled over into the other 0.5gb. I still really don't understand why people got so upset over it. It's not like you didn't get what you paid for; benchmarks didn't just change over night or anything like that.

Everyone with a 970 was 'affected' by it... But it wasn't really like things changed or Nvidia lied... We all bought our GPUs off of benchmarks not the distribution of vram.

10 hours ago, Admiral Naismith said:

The 'vram' incident really was just people making a big deal out of nothing. It was 4gb advertised, you got 4gb. It was just 3.5 with a small performance hit when you spilled over into the other 0.5gb. I still really don't understand why people got so upset over it. It's not like you didn't get what you paid for; benchmarks didn't just change over night or anything like that.

Everyone with a 970 was 'affected' by it... But it wasn't really like things changed or Nvidia lied... We all bought our GPUs off of benchmarks not the distribution of vram.

Exactly. Sometimes I can't stand this forum because so many people hear one thing and just believe it. A part of me dies every time I see someone giving terrible advice based off of this like "don't buy a 980 if you have an 8350, that's a bottleneck" when they have no idea what a bottleneck is and no understanding that it's still a huge performance improvement 

10 minutes ago, thatguyyouknow75 said:

Exactly. Sometimes I can't stand this forum because so many people hear one thing and just believe it. A part of me dies every time I see someone giving terrible advice based off of this like "don't buy a 980 if you have an 8350, that's a bottleneck" when they have no idea what a bottleneck is and no understanding that it's still a huge performance improvement 

The bottleneck thing always pisses me off. 9/10 the bottleneck only will be noticeable in synthetic or stupidly heavy loads. Even then it's only going to be like a 85+% top performance reduction.

"I have and I5, should I buy a Titan X or a GTX 750?"

"BUY THE 750 I5 WIL BOTEL NEK DA TITAN"

lol wot?

10 minutes ago, Admiral Naismith said:

The bottleneck thing always pisses me off. 9/10 the bottleneck only will be noticeable in synthetic or stupidly heavy loads. Even then it's only going to be like a 85+% top performance reduction.

"I have and I5, should I buy a Titan X or a GTX 750?"

"BUY THE 750 I5 WIL BOTEL NEK DA TITAN"

lol wot?

It pisses me off so much, because not only are people dumb enough to believe them, but then they go and perpetuate that stupidity when they give advice to others who are equally as ignorant and uninformed 

18 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

How the topic randomly changes

https://youtu.be/9sFC4rsfsdQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sFC4rsfsdQ

edit- how the fuck do you post a video with this new forum?

20 hours ago, Admiral Naismith said:

how the fuck do you post a video with this new forum?

You should be able to just copy the link and after a few seconds it should come up.

Hello

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Big Red Man said:

comment about it when the WAN show starts?

Maybe they could do a thing on the WAN about it.

good idea, how do we get the attention of linus/luke?

3 minutes ago, Sam Z Man said:

Report your comment so the mods look at it and pass it on to them.

That is so stupid it might just work! :P

PC Specs   - Black and White Build

Intel Core i5 4690k MSI Z97S Krait LGA 1150

Crucial Ballistix Sport 1x8GB 1600MHZ

Sapphire Radeon R9 270 (Will be upgrading this soon)

EVGA 500W PSU

Phanteks Enthoo Pro - White

this is great i really hope he is found

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb