Use XBOX 360 controllers on original Xbox

German_John

Hey everyone,

I recently dug out Gladius again and want to play it with a friend. But almost all my controllers are now broken... however, I do have two 360 controllers that work just fine.

Since XBOX controllers use just a modified plug on USB, would it be possible to use the 360 controllers on the old thing? 

On Amazon there's this:

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Adapter-Cable-XBOX-Black/dp/B00SMCJB4Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442345948&sr=8-1&keywords=XBOX+to+usb

I also thought about stripping down an old controller and just solder (or twist, even) a female USB to it (like this guy does)

Any experience with this, seeing how the layout of the 360 controller is slightly different?

also, can't use the 360, broken.

Cheers!

I doubt it. Yes, the controller port for the original Xbox is just a custom USB1.1 connector, the inputs will be mapped completely differently. Original Xbox controllers are hardly cheap on Ebay so look there if you're willing to wait for shipping on something

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

I don't think so. I believe even after adapters they use two totally different forms of actual input.

So what would even be the use of an adapter like that? Solely for people who installed Linux for XBOX and want to use a keyboard and mouse?

That adapter form amazon is used too allow people who have modded their original xboxes too plug in usb devices.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

I don't know if it's possible, but Original Xbox controllers are not expensive and not very rare to be honest.

Might want to look for one at something like a thrift store

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

So what would even be the use of an adapter like that? Solely for people who installed Linux for XBOX and want to use a keyboard and mouse?

Something along the lines of that...

or basically what @GzeroD said

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Easy way-ish, to accomplish this is via PC streaming. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the 360 controllers I have hooked up to my PC with the wireless dongle work on the Xbox when it is streamed to my PC via the Xbox app. I have 2 one controllers and 2 360 controllers and I can play games like FIFA with 4 players now using this semi workaround. Not ideal for all I know, just worked with everything I already had set up anyways.

Easy way-ish, to accomplish this is via PC streaming. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the 360 controllers I have hooked up to my PC with the wireless dongle work on the Xbox when it is streamed to my PC via the Xbox app. I have 2 one controllers and 2 360 controllers and I can play games like FIFA with 4 players now using this semi workaround. Not ideal for all I know, just worked with everything I already had set up anyways.

It's the old Xbox (which doesn't have a name anymore because MS decided to call the new one 'one') back from 2001. I doubt very much that it will support streaming...

I don't know if it's possible, but Original Xbox controllers are not expensive and not very rare to be honest.

Might want to look for one at something like a thrift store

Oh yeah, about that, only one I could find on German Amazon was some CSL cheapo thing. The plastic is cheap and you can't click the sticks when  you're using them, so since I have the (much, much nicer) 360 controllers anyway I thought that USB might just be USB here. Sad to see it appears not to be..

It's the old Xbox (which doesn't have a name anymore because MS decided to call the new one 'one') back from 2001. I doubt very much that it will support streaming...

Oh snap, I can read :P