buying a i5-4690k and need recommendation on a decent mobo

khaled93
Go to solution Solved by Speedyv,

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5

MSI Z97 GAMING 5

Hello, i am planning to buy an i5-4690k processor as an upgrade and i'm looking for a decent, not expensive motherboard.

i have a GTX 980 Ti so i won't need any SLI or Crossfire support, i am looking for it to be a red colored one to match my rig and with a budget around 130$.

Thank you ^_^

I've had really good luck with my Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK MOBO. I like the Bios even though some don't and it's nice that it's black so as to show off my blue parts I chose. It comes with braided Seta cables which was really nice.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Msi g45 gaming, z87 or z97.
Has some of the gaming series features and is generally cheaper.

I've been using mine for a while and love it, have an i5 4690k as well

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

Why not go with SkyLake?

Usually....Cost VS Gain

Depending on how bad your Country rips you off.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Usually....Cost VS Gain

Depending on how bad your Country rips you off.

Eh, this gen is pretty old 2 gen behind.

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

And as such is a better deal. Skylake is better but not enough to make it worth it for a lot of us. By the time the 1151 socket has a CPU that is of any significance the 4790K CPU will be cheap.

And games live and lag by the performance of the GPU, not the CPU.

i see that its like 10$ more, i5-6600k, but it says that it supports DDR3L, would that be a regular DDR3?

i see that its like 10$ more, i5-6600k, but it says that it supports DDR3L, would that be a regular DDR3?

No, DDR3L. Or low voltage DDR3.

No, DDR3L. Or low voltage DDR3.

hm that being said in the description it says that it supports up to 4K resolution, does that mean the i5-4690k does not or does it depend on the GPU?

hm that being said in the description it says that it supports up to 4K resolution, does that mean the i5-4690k does not or does it depend on the GPU?

nevermind the last question xD that was a dumb one haha

The GPU and monitor decide the resolution for the most part, I could run 4k with my rig if I had a 4k monitor. I have a i5 4690K running at 4.5GHz along with a Vapor-x R9 290 and have yet to hit a game I couldn't max. Haven't tried Witcher of GTA yet though.

I went with the Ultra Durable MOBO from Gigabyte because it comes with better features and a longer warranty over the Gaming 5.

edit, oops

Hello, i am planning to buy an i5-4690k processor as an upgrade and i'm looking for a decent, not expensive motherboard.

i have a GTX 980 Ti so i won't need any SLI or Crossfire support, i am looking for it to be a red colored one to match my rig and with a budget around 130$.

Thank you ^_^

Get a z89/z97 in order to overclock and pick one of the high star boards which have very positive reviews. The only choice that's yours is the brand but that could vary front panel USBs, fan inputs, IO, M.2s and many more fetures. Pick whatever motherboard compliments your case and what your currently using or planning to use. Just make sure you choose a brand which has a good BIOS in order to overclock at ease.

Well I use a Gigabyte Z97X-SLI... it does the job fine, no real complaints... only real downside to it is that it's not as wide as standard ATX boards (doesn't reach the third set of standoffs), so it flexes alot when trying to connect or disconnect the 24-pin ATX power connector.

Otherwise it's a great board considering it was quite cheap :)

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Thank you ^_^

Just go for the cheapest Z87 or Z97 motherboard. But if you might have to update the bios to support haswell refresh for a Z87

The only things I consider are bios interface, voltage drops (although not as significant as couple years ago), SLI support.

As for other features, you can always look up