GTX 980 Ti SC and AMD FX8350 Still Low FPS

khaled93
Go to solution Solved by SkilledRebuilds,

Games do not use all your CPU resources, and the ones it does use benefit from higher clocks & higher 'per-core' performance (Called IPC, instructions per-cycle/clock)

This is why AMD can fall behind and bottleneck a GPU, the actual CPU cores in use (not all of em) that are doing the work, can't keep up with the instructions being sent back and forth.

Your CPU does not have to be at 100% to create a bottleneck, it just has to be slow in its IPC ability.

A Locked i5 will solve this 99% of the time, and if you can afford it, an unlocked i5 is best for the long run (3-5 years from now when it STARTS to become an issue needing more horsepower, you can OC)

Gaming wise, MIN-FPS will be brought up to par in many games, avg will be improved but not by a lot, the MIN-FPS is the ones you'll notice being the most important.

Also the fact that GPU usage across many games (without frame caps or limits) will be 95-100% GPU usage at all times (Varies game to game, usually sticking to 99-100%)

Hello, i hope i am on the right page here, but i really need help, i bought a GTX 980 Ti and a FX-8350 processor for an upgrade and the problem is that my games still runs on a low fps between 40fps and 50fps.

surprisingly when i had my Athlon X4 760K and the R9 380 2GDT5 i was running the same games on about 80fps to 100fps. i have the latest nvidia drivers and my computer is fully up to date.

Rig specs are:

Processor: AMD FX-8350 Eight core clocked at 4.5 GHz

GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

mobo: Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0

RAM: corsair vengeance 2X 8GM @1600Mhz

Cooler: hyper Evo 212

PSU: EVGA supernova 750W 80+ Gold

case: NZXT s340

note that the processor and the gpu are not running at max load and the temperatures are relatively low GPU: 60 CPU: 50

some help would be really really appreciated :) Thank You 

The problem is the CPU. Get an i5-4690k and Z97 motherboard. Problem Solved.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

this is gonna set me back like another 300$ and i literally put all my money on the GPU :(

but ur saying that the i5-4690k is better than the fx-8350?

yeah, your CPU is probably the bottleneck. I would overclock it to see if it helps. 

if that doesn't help, come back and see. I assume you reinstalled your OS when you upgraded?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

this is gonna set me back like another 300$ and i literally put all my money on the GPU :(

but ur saying that the i5-4690k is better than the fx-8350?

Well what you could do is sell the FX8 and motherboard. Sell the 380 if yku already have not. Then that should give enough money for a 4690k. ( Or you could get a Xeon 1231v3 and H97-H81 motherboard for a similar price )

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

well i was already on an AMD platform and did not know really how to switch without having a pain in the rear end, did alot of research and figured that it is a good idea.

yeah, your CPU is probably the bottleneck. I would overclock it to see if it helps. 

if that doesn't help, come back and see. I assume you reinstalled your OS when you upgraded?

i literally am formatting my hard drives at the moment to clean install the OS, that was my last option to do.

Why would you get an 8350 processor? It was made in 2011. Bottlenecks!

Huge sign when the GPU is not running at full load.

well i was already on an AMD platform and did not know really how to switch without having a pain in the rear end, did alot of research and figured that it is a good idea.

i literally am formatting my hard drives at the moment to clean install the OS, that was my last option to do.

Overclock the CPU after reinstalling. You should see a large boost. Still not the best though..

blackshades on

If this doesn't work, Sell any of the old stuff you've got like the FX8, motherboard, the 380, any old GPU or CPU. and this ahould bring you close to $300 for a new a CPU and mobo

Overclock the CPU after reinstalling. You should see a large boost. Still not the best though..

I think he has it overclocked to 4.5GHZ unless thats like a boost clock or something.

If this doesn't work, Sell any of the old stuff you've got like the FX8, motherboard, the 380, any old GPU or CPU. and this ahould bring you close to $300 for a new a CPU and mobo

okay what mobo do you recommend? or is it just any Z97?

I think he has it overclocked to 4.5GHZ unless thats like a boost clock or something.

the stock clock is 4.0 and boost is 4.2 i overclocked it to 4.5 :)

If you go with the 4690k any Z97 motherboard from a reputable brand like MSI, Asus, or Asrock thst matches your color scheme will be good.

You don't even need an expensive unlocked i5 with a z97 board.

The cheapest i5 will whoop ass with any FX chip when it comes to gaming.

You can also grab a cheaper H97 board as well.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Any old Z97 (or Z87 for that matter) should do you fine... it could be the difference between 0.1 GHz but for gaming you really don't need to overclock i5s anyway.

So if you want to save a little money, get a i5-4590 and a H81 or B85 board.  You can't overclock in this case and it is by default clocked lower but that won't affect gaming performance and it's a bit cheaper.

one last question, assuming that i bought the i5-4690K and an MSI Z97 mobo, would this ramp up my fps (to how much?), and would i be able to play at 4K resolution? ^_^

Boost I think. 4.8Ghz is where you wanna be. I run 4.7Ghz on my 8320, and for the most part my 760s are fine. If under though, they do bottleneck.

blackshades on

Boost I think. 4.8Ghz is where you wanna be. I run 4.7Ghz on my 8320, and for the most part my 760s are fine. If under though, they do bottleneck.

i would overclock it more but at 4.6 GHz i need to bump up the voltage and with that the heat bumps up from around 55 under full load to over 62 which is the max temp you can reach with it before it crashes 

i would overclock it more but at 4.6 GHz i need to bump up the voltage and with that the heat bumps up from around 55 under full load to over 62 which is the max temp you can reach with it before it crashes 

What cooler do you have?

blackshades on

I assume you are at 1080P. Try a higher resolution and you should be fine. I run two 290x's with my 8350 for compute purposes but game with it on occasion at 1080P. It may bottleneck a bit but I don't worry about that stuff as long as it's playable.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Games do not use all your CPU resources, and the ones it does use benefit from higher clocks & higher 'per-core' performance (Called IPC, instructions per-cycle/clock)

This is why AMD can fall behind and bottleneck a GPU, the actual CPU cores in use (not all of em) that are doing the work, can't keep up with the instructions being sent back and forth.

Your CPU does not have to be at 100% to create a bottleneck, it just has to be slow in its IPC ability.

A Locked i5 will solve this 99% of the time, and if you can afford it, an unlocked i5 is best for the long run (3-5 years from now when it STARTS to become an issue needing more horsepower, you can OC)

Gaming wise, MIN-FPS will be brought up to par in many games, avg will be improved but not by a lot, the MIN-FPS is the ones you'll notice being the most important.

Also the fact that GPU usage across many games (without frame caps or limits) will be 95-100% GPU usage at all times (Varies game to game, usually sticking to 99-100%)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz