Why is Price/Perfomance so terrible compared to a decade ago?

DannyDem

I mentioned this in another post aswell and my doubt has to do with the fact that nowadays you have to spend 300-400$ on a GPU to be satisfied for a year or two. 8 years ago for example you could buy a 8800gt(200$) or a 8800gts(300$) and you would be good to go for 3-4 years easily with all settings maxed up (with AA off)... but nowadays you buy 300$ card just for it to be outdated a few years later. Im sure there are people who think diffrently and wont agree with me but from my point of view it seems that the price/perfomance ratio when it comes to gpus is incredibily lower than it was almost a decade and I've been in this business for almost 2 decades.

GPU:Gigabyte G1 980Ti 6GB GDDR5  CPU:Intel i7 6700K 4.0Ghz + Cooler Master 412S RAM:8GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (x2) Motherboard:Z170-A Krait Gaming HDD/SSD:1TB Western Digital & 120GB Kingston HyperX Case:NZXT S340 + 3x Corsair AF 140mm + 1x Corsair AF 120mm + 1x Corsair SP 120mm PSU:Seasonic M12II Evo 620W 80 Plus Display: Benq XL2430T 144Hz Sound: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro & JVC SZ1000 + Schiit Vali + Fiio E17

Companies want munnie

And the price of doing things in this world has changed since 10 years ago

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I mentioned this in another post aswell and my doubt has to do with the fact that nowadays you have to spend 300-400$ on a GPU to be satisfied for a year or two. 8 years ago for example you could buy a 8800gt(200$) or a 8800gts(300$) and you would be good to go for 3-4 years easily with all settings maxed up (with AA off)... but nowadays you buy 300$ card just for it to be outdated a few years later. Im sure there are people who think diffrently and wont agree with me but from my point of view it seems that the price/perfomance ratio when it comes to gpus is incredibily lower than it was almost a decade and I've been in this business for almost 2 decades.

its not the cards as much as it is the games improving on everything

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

so to you 3-4 years is long.
but a few years is short.

so basically a few years = 2.   im sorry but my 780 will stay with me longer than 2 years

your logic is wrong

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I'm just going to make a wild guess here and assume that you've completely ignored inflation...

Anyway....

Old cards would last 3-4 years = Good

New cards only last a few years = Bad

That moment when you realise 3-4 years is a few years... Generally, "a few" is considered 3-4 (sometimes more), obviously there's nothing set in stone but a few is more than a couple, and a couple is 2 so...

so to you 3-4 years is long.

but a few years is short.

so basically a few years = 2.   im sorry but my 780 will stay with me longer than 2 years

your logic is wrong

I'm just going to make a wild guess here and assume that you've completely ignored inflation...

Anyway....

Old cards would last 3-4 years = Good

New cards only last a few years = Bad

That moment when you realise 3-4 years is a few years... Generally, "a few" is considered 3-4 (sometimes more), obviously there's nothing set in stone but a few is more than a couple, and a couple is 2 so...

Yeah bad choice of words I guess

What i meant is you could buy a 300$ gpu and be good maxing everything up for about 4 years while nowadays a 300$ gpu get's outdated in less than 2 years

GPU:Gigabyte G1 980Ti 6GB GDDR5  CPU:Intel i7 6700K 4.0Ghz + Cooler Master 412S RAM:8GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (x2) Motherboard:Z170-A Krait Gaming HDD/SSD:1TB Western Digital & 120GB Kingston HyperX Case:NZXT S340 + 3x Corsair AF 140mm + 1x Corsair AF 120mm + 1x Corsair SP 120mm PSU:Seasonic M12II Evo 620W 80 Plus Display: Benq XL2430T 144Hz Sound: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro & JVC SZ1000 + Schiit Vali + Fiio E17

it is becurse development is going way faster to day then 8 years ago games improve why faster and our development of new gpu are way faster taht way stuff get´s outdated faster.