More than 100,000 want to go to Mars and not return.

GhettoUnboxings

I would go if my friends were going. Other than that, no.

You wouldn't be able to play online games when on Mars, or do anything on the Internet you do now. While they will have Internet, it'll be way too slow, so they'll be caching websites on servers.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

"I didn't die! I performed a tactical reset!"

Yeah it's all cool, but people that want this don't think well. Hey, we live on Earth, on an ideal distance from the sun and yes we have problems withnthis planet because we kinda fuck it up, but we don't have to live somewhere cold, resourceless and pointless as long as we can use this planet :P

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

for everyone saying they don't want to live on this planet anymore

here's there option :)

You wouldn't be able to play online games when on Mars, or do anything on the Internet you do now. While they will have Internet, it'll be way too slow, so they'll be caching websites on servers.

Get 10.000 gamers up there, make MarsWeb!

I'd do it.

Also it's the first step in colonizing mars. You're not getting there only to step out of the lander and walk around until the oxygen in your suit runs out lol. It is a one way trip, but that doesn't mean you will die within day, weeks, or months of landing. (unless something goes wrong) I think the plan is to set up small contained housing, then a bio-dome type structures. Think of the set up they had in the original Total Recall. I know if I got to go, I'd legally change my name to Quaid. ;)

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I actually applied months ago with a friend...

CPU - FX 8320 @ 4.8 GHz

| MoBo - Sabertooth 990FX | GPU - XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Ed. @ 1.075 GHz | CPU Cooler - H100 | RAM - 16 GB Dual Channel Vengeance @ 1600 MHz (didn't care to push these...) | OS - Windows 8 Pro | Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 (120 GB Boot), Samsung 830 Pro 64 GB, WD Black 1 TB, some random 320 GB from a laptop | PSU - CM Silent Hybrid Pro 850W (MDPC Sleeving) | Case - 800D | Monitors - ASUS V238H/ X Star DP2710LED | Mouse - M90 Keyboard - CM Quickfire Rapid w/ custom key caps

"When life gives you lemons, Don't make lemonade, make life take the lemons back!" - Cave Johnson, CEO

I would totally do that!! Then again I am totally a space nut :)

<3

Steph

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

I'd totally do it if I thought I'd be useful to them.

All you lazy bums crying about the internet and vidya gaymin can continue on with your boring lives if you want.

All you lazy bums crying about the internet and vidya gaymin can continue on with your boring lives if you want.

The insults are uncalled for. Changing your lifestyle and living on another planet can be considered a big change.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

"I didn't die! I performed a tactical reset!"

I assume by 'starting 2022' they mean starting to send materials there? We won't have the money or time to be ready by then otherwise.

I think I read somewhere that it would take about 8 months or so to travel to Mars.  So allow for the travel time before you croak. :)

Except it would not feel 8 months. It would be 8 months earth time, but it would feel a bit shorter based of the velocity on the space ship in YOUR perspective and not in earths perspective. Einstien's Theory of relativity has brought that to the table. It would be so cool to do though. :)

Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E Processor - Intel i7 930 Bloomfield OC'd @ 4.01Ghz, 1.28v | RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-12, 1600mhz | Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX660 SC 3GB @ +75mhz core, +500mhz mem | Power Supply - Seasonic X650 Gold

CPU Cooler, Fans - Corsair H-90 w/ Noctua FN14 push/pull, Gelid Wings UV Blue  | Case - Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 |

Going back to our ancestors home land? cool.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I hope they figure out how to keep these people safe from cosmic radiation....

I think it's cool, some people just have an urge to explore and there is basicly nothing left on earth to be explored, so why not go to a new planet?

Also, just imagine being the first human to set foot on mars..EPICNESS OVERLOAD

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

even if they made like those "environmental proof" houses

id would go mad in a couple of hears and might kill my self

u just cant

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

just imagine being the first human to set foot on mars

Bit late for that....

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Bit late for that....

The only things we sent there were robots, no humans were there yet ;)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

The only things we sent there were robots, no humans were there yet ;)

Thats if you don't want to call our ancestors humans, which is understandable, they could of been anything.

Thats if you don't want to call our ancestors humans, which is understandable, they could of been anything.

He said human, I wouldn't consider whatever microbe got launched to Earth from a meteorite impact on Mars which triggered the start of life a human. ;)

Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

I'd go. without a seconds hesitation, you could either stay on earth, and do nothing important with your life (which most of everyone will do) or you can be apart of something amazing, experience things no one else has, and last of all. be directly involved in the advancement of human civilisation.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

The insults are uncalled for. Changing your lifestyle and living on another planet can be considered a big change.

They weren't meant in sincerity, but were more of a response to the insulting attitude previous posters had towards the idea of why anyone would want to go to mars. 

[spoiler You know, all of these...]

Well, you'd probably die instantly, so not at the moment.

If I was dieing and was going to die soon, yes.

No way.... I don't think that there will be an internet connection, so what do you need to do there?

Never. Sounds like an awful idea IMO.

when they can iron out a few minor flaws, you know breathing, drinking and eating i'll be straight there...

we don't have to live somewhere cold, resourceless and pointless as long as we can use this planet :P

for everyone saying they don't want to live on this planet anymore

here's there option :)

Truly, I'm not degrading whatever lifestyle people choose, but rather the fact that they're degrading a lifestyle on Mars. I'm  only throwing their own argument against them.

They weren't meant in sincerity, but were more of a response to the insulting attitude previous posters had towards the idea of why anyone would want to go to mars. 

Truly, I'm not degrading whatever lifestyle people choose, but rather the fact that they're degrading a lifestyle on Mars. I'm  only throwing their own argument against them.

I made my statement with no intent to insult, merely to share my reasoning and point of view, I would like to go to Mars, just not currently as there really isn't any way of sustaining life that I know of.

I made my statement with no intent to insult, merely to share my reasoning and point of view, I would like to go to Mars, just not currently as there really isn't any way of sustaining life that I know of.

That's the point of this quest. It's to make Mars habitable by starting a colony with steady stream of supplies to slowly but surely build and expand a livable and flourishing society on Mars while researching and discovering new things daily. You're not being shipped there to die. You're going there to live. This idea is leaps beyond any of our current achievements as sentient beings stuck on a rock hurling through space.

The advancements it would push in technology and transportation between worlds would only be for the better.

It could be comparable to a scientific camping trip in the middle of nowhere. You go there with what you can carry and having limited supplies at first. But as you set up your tents and basic tool,s trucks begin to arrive every so often bringing things you request and need that you weren't able to bring in your initial departure. As you use resources, new ones are brought to you. You complete scientific missions and report back to HQ aka Earth of your findings.

A scientific mission of this proportion is not a simple test of how long someone can live on Mars without aid. We already threw dogs into space to see how long it takes to suffocate with no atmosphere, they aren't looking to re-create that on Mars. If things go to plan you would die of old age on Mars, not suffocation. Perhaps even have children there depending on the rate of expansion.

I quoted in bulk and wasn't targeting anyone, so sorry about that.