Accidently touched my i7-4790k with AS5

SparcASM
Go to solution Solved by incarnate,

That's exactly where it's located on the top left hand side.

I don't think I can get much more off.

So long as none got on the mobo or into the socket then it should be fine.

I accidently touched my i7-4790k PCB with AS5 and I have cleaned it to the best of my knowledge with 71% Isopropyl alcohol and it's nearly all off, I am only able to see it while looking for it and it's very faint.

Will this pose a issue?

As long as it's not conductive, getting thermal paste on the PCB won't do anything(usually)....Fun fact: My folding card had thermal paste on the GPU's PCB(the actual GPU. Not the card) until I reapplied it - it was fine.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

nope its fine

its non conductive so it will still work like new, and since the intel CPUs dont use pins its a lot easier and safer to clean the paste off :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Alright, thanks accidently overapplied it a tad (Was pushing the side and was a little off on the other side) so I took off my h100i and reapplied it.

Thanks for the help!

I once bended a CPU pin on an old Athlon almost 50° sideways and corrected it in panic with a SCREWDRIVER and it still worked.

CPUs are not THAT fragile.

Ad victoriam ex machina non sibi sed patriae

Also, is 70% Isopropyl and 29% water fine? I left it out to dry for roughly 5-7mins before closing the socket and reattaching the heat sink, and wiped it with a lint free cloth.

Also, is 70% Isopropyl and 29% water fine? I left it out to dry for roughly 5-7mins before closing the socket and reattaching the heat sink, and wiped it with a lint free cloth.

What the heck are you thinking? No water man. 70% robbing alcohol is fine however, i recommend you use that 70% robbing alcohol along Arctic Cleaner kit that will do its job of removing thermal materials. 

I once bended a CPU pin on an old Athlon almost 50° sideways and corrected it in panic with a SCREWDRIVER and it still worked.

intel motherboards on the other hand 

(intense flashbacking)

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

If you're careful enough, you could probably use a screwdriver successfully, but it is a known fact that pins are fragile and can break if you pull/push them back too hard.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

If you're adding water, don't do that. Just use the 70% isopropyl alcohol.

If you're careful enough, you could probably use a screwdriver successfully, but it is a known fact that pins are fragile and can break if you pull/push them back too hard.

I used a drivers license I think it was on an AMD CPU that came out in late 08/09 it was the PERFECT size to fit between the pins.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

What the heck are you thinking? No water man. 70% robbing alcohol is fine however, i recommend you use that 70% robbing alcohol along Arctic Cleaner kit that will do its job of removing thermal materials. 

It comes pre added into the bottle of Isopropyl.

It comes pre added into the bottle of Isopropyl.

Yup, the other 30% of the 70% have to come from somewhere :D

Ad victoriam ex machina non sibi sed patriae

I accidently touched my i7-4790k PCB with AS5 and I have cleaned it to the best of my knowledge with 71% Isopropyl alcohol and it's nearly all off, I am only able to see it while looking for it and it's very faint.

Will this pose a issue?

I'm pretty sure AS5 is conductive, so try and get as much off as you can. But you should be fine, the pcb at the edge of a cpu shouldn't have any traces on it.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

I'm pretty sure AS5 is conductive, so try and get as much off as you can. But you should be fine, the pcb at the edge of a cpu shouldn't have any traces on it.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Alright, thanks.

its better to use a higher percentage content than 70%. I have 91% myself.

My 4790k touched my ass a few times too, never harmed it at all.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M