Canon shows their VR headset with an alleged resolution of 5600 x 2800

Bouzoo

The VR market is getting even bigger with another big name entering the race. At a VR exp in New York, among many things, Canon showed their own VR headset. It has an alleged resolution of 5600 x 2800, which results in 2560 x 1440 (no idea how that math works) per eye. Even though everyone is writing that is the correct resolution, there are still some confirmations to be made according to the article from uploadvr.com:

UPDATE: According to a couple messages between us and Brad Herman, it sounds like the content shown is a 5 minute demo loop that contains footage shot with an array of Canon cameras. This was streamed 5600 x 2800 without positional headtracking. Furthermore, there is a chance that the demoers may have been misinformed about the resolution as the 2.5K (2560 x 1440 pixels) may relate to the entire display; rather than 2.5K per eye. The resolution still needs to be confirmed. However, Herman mentions that “The visual quality is very nice. Very clear and sharp.”

Furthermore, it is supposed to have a 120 degree FOV and a three-layer optical lens system per eye. Sounds really good, if the lens are good enough which I'd surprised if they weren't. This model also has 2 legs that are used for carrying the headset, instead of using a standard strap that most VR headsets have.

According to attendees, Canon's new VR display has a 120-degree FOV (field of vision) with "very clear visuals" and a three-layer optical lens system per eye. The display is quite unconventional, sporting two legs that serve as handholds rather than a strap to fit upon your head. It looks a lot like a high-tech VR version of the older viewfinders you see near monuments in metropolitan cities. The device streamed a 5-minute loop of high-res footage shot by Canon cameras in 5600 x 2800 resolution, which basically transported viewers into a living virtual world.

Had no idea Canon was planing to enter the VR market so I may be late on this, but I'm excited for it considering Canon's history. Personally, I've never used a product that I wasn't satisfied with. The one part that I'm not happy with are the legs, but since this is the first edition, I'm sure they are gonna remove them in the future. Also I think this one is ugly, but let's wait for the finished product. The VR market is growing to be a pretty big thing, even bigger than I thought, considering all the names that are entering it. This is surely not gonna make it easier to choose a headset.

Sources: 1, 2

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I wait for Valve´s next move.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Finally someone realizing we need super-high resolution ( and framerate, that'll come ) VR headsets.

Finally someone realizing we need super-high resolution ( and framerate, that'll come ) VR headsets.

They're not the first ones. 

But this is probably the highest res I saw.

That's cool. I feel as though the ergonomics need a little work though...

I won`t mind more competition if we finally get a universal standard for the software interface so as game coded for one VR headset will also run on all others. The abscence of such a standard is currently the biggest problem with VR IMO.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Just: Why Canon ?

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Just: Why Canon ?

if any company is knowledgeable about building high quality glass, lenses and mirrors or whatever, it's Canon. It's not totally out of left field.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

Just I can't imagine a GPU being able to push decent frame rates in High-Ultra settings in games.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Mooooooore fragmentation. Just great. I am almost certain at this point that all these different devices might kill VR in the end...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Wait what that thing is huge. Resolution is kinda meaningless we need DPI not resolution...

while interesting people will need a lot of horsepower to utilize that effectively.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I don't care how many VR headsets are made, if this becomes too fragmented in terms of SDK and problems between different VR headsets, is not going to be a good thing.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Cool for movies but how in the hell am I supposed to play games, I have to hold it?!

Since this is a prototype, I'm sure they will remove the legs, it's common sense since no one would buy it otherwise.

Wait what that thing is huge. Resolution is kinda meaningless we need DPI not resolution...

I suppose you mean ppi? Dpi (dots per inch) is used for printed material and shouldn't be mixed with ppi (pixels per inch) which is used for pixel density, even though some sources use dpi. Higher resolution results in higher ppi count which is what you're probably referring to, so you can't have higher ppi w/o a higher resolution. Well unless you reduce the screen size.

Sooo if those legs are for you to hodl it which you seem to be required to do...how do you play games with this thing? xD

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

I won`t mind more competition if we finally get a universal standard for the software interface so as game coded for one VR headset will also run on all others. The abscence of such a standard is currently the biggest problem with VR IMO.

It's interesting you mention that. I can connect my DK2 and launch Steam VR, and steam VR thinks I am wearing a Vive but says I'm missing some of the peripheral hardware. Seems like something universal is already in place, but I've no idea how deep it runs.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR