4790k vs FX-8350 NEED help

Go to solution Solved by Morgan MLGman,

Hhahahahahahahahaha no it's not better than the i7. Do some reading on IPC and the architecture of AMD Piledriver "cores" which are actually 8 "cores" put in 4 modules if you're interested why it's not better

note: I own this exact CPU.

EDIT: Thanks everyone :) He's very stubborn though haha. Still refuses to believe. But he's a good guy :)

I am unsure if this is the correct section to be posting this, so I apologize in advance.

My friend and I are debating whether the 4790k is faster/better than the FX-8350.

His argument is that the FX-8350 is better than the 4790k because it has the same stock speed of 4.0GHz but it has 8 cores, 8 threads in comparison to 4790k which has 4 cores, 8 threads. But I am very sure the 4790k is better simply because of the architecture.

Can someone please explain to me which one is better and why with detail? All I know or think is that the architecture in the 4790k is better, I know nothing of why haha. And then please give a comparison between the two.

It would be much appreciated :)

P.S. It's a friendly argument haha

Hhahahahahahahahaha no it's not better than the i7. Do some reading on IPC and the architecture of AMD Piledriver "cores" which are actually 8 "cores" put in 4 modules if you're interested why it's not better

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I am unsure if this is the correct section to be posting this, so I apologize in advance.

My friend and I are debating whether the 4790k is faster/better than the FX-8350.

His argument is that the FX-8350 is better than the 4790k because it has the same stock speed of 4.0GHz but it has 8 cores, 8 threads in comparison to 4790k which has 4 cores, 8 threads. But I am very sure the 4790k is better simply because of the architecture.

Can someone please explain to me which one is better and why with detail? All I know or think is that the architecture in the 4790k is better, I know nothing of why haha. And then please give a comparison between the two.

It would be much appreciated :)

P.S. It's a friendly argument haha

your friend is a moron who has never looked at any benchmarks

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

4790k, i recently had this argument with others, even though the amd processor has more cores the 4790k has more power than core

Intel is better atm

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

4790k absolutely shits on the FX CPU's.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

there is no comparison, the 4790k blows its brains out.

tell your friend nicely from me, that he needs to first learn about cpus and he needs to look at real world benchmarks.

infact let me get some up for you to show him.

d13280461ee135368330643fbefec6fe.png

617641d0c231a6ded4a7d12555fa8671.png

fba0b0adb7f37ba3b34811e1bd04eef5.png

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

take a look at the graphs above, the 8350 has shit single core performance, its supposed to be okish at multithreaded, but take a look how much it gets hammered.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

When will people learn that none of the FX cpus can out perform a current Intel cpu whether that be a pentium to an i7 or xeon. like other people say the 8350 has bad per core performance.

When will people learn that none of the FX cpus can out perform a current Intel cpu whether that be a pentium to and i7 or xeon.

they do outperform pentiums, dont stoop that low bro.

I don't see your point about the modules.

The i7 is a similar technology, it is not a con.

It pissed me off when people compare FX CPU's to i3.

(They should be for two different markets)

It pisses me off even more when people compare an FX to an Xeon or i7.

(They are in the same kind of market, but very different prices and they preform very differently)

Anything more than a FX 6300 is a waste of money, and you should be spending your money on a Xeon instead.

An i7 will smash a FX in every category! 

Unless Zen comes out to change the course of AMD, Intel reigns king with regards to their CPUs.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

take a look at the graphs above, the 8350 has shit single core performance, its supposed to be okish at multithreaded, but take a look how much it gets hammered.

Even by AMD's own older Phenom II X6.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It kind of is, AMD calls the ALU in each module cores when that's far from what they are.

PMSL

the pentium anniversary has way better per core performance than any fx cpu....

it has better single core yes, multi really doubt that.

91bee5ab1da50c09f68451eff7b5358c.png

Don't see my point? I wanted to show OP and his friend that these so-called cores in FX CPUs are not regular cores as in other architectures

Was a pretty straightforward point to me

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Don't see my point? I wanted to show OP and his friend that these so-called cores in FX CPUs are not regular cores as in other architectures

They are only part of a core. AMD just put 2 in/split 1 into 2 instead of just using 1. I've talked about it before with the Phenom II X2/X3/X4. You only need to look at a die shot to see the similarities between K10 and 4 module Vishera.

PMSL

They are only part of a core. AMD just put 2 in/split 1 into 2 instead of just using 1. I've talked about it before with the Phenom II X2/X3/X4. You only need to look at a die shot to see the similarities between K10 and 4 module Vishera.

Yep, I am aware of that, the dude that 'didn't see my point' not so sure ^^

Yep, I am aware of that, the dude that 'didn't see my point' not so sure ^^

My take on the FX line is that AMD didn't have enough to actually design an entirely new architecture (Zen is probably K10 revamped BTW-where has the R&D money come from?) with CMT, just take an old one (K10) and modify it to be something technically new. Its why I go by the Phenom II/FX core/module comparison. AMD went with the cheapest option.

PMSL

I know it isn't but in very basic terms, it can be considered similar.

No it actually can't. ALU aren't cores and never will be. CMT can not be described the same way as standard CPU architectures due to its very nature. However the components can be described the same way.

PMSL