4790k vs FX-8350 NEED help

Go to solution Solved by Morgan MLGman,

Hhahahahahahahahaha no it's not better than the i7. Do some reading on IPC and the architecture of AMD Piledriver "cores" which are actually 8 "cores" put in 4 modules if you're interested why it's not better

note: I own this exact CPU.

I own both cpus with the same gpu and I can tell you that the i7 is way better

The Brokish Boy v1: CPU: i7-8700k GPU: MSI Gaming X GTX ti MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus X Code Ram: G.Skill Trident Z 4x8gb 3200mhz DRIVES: 2x3TB WD Black , 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 500gb 970 EVO SSD Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black Headphone: ATH-MSR7 Mic: Blue Yeti Monitors: 27" BenQ GW2765 1440p; IPS, 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p; VA

My take on the FX line is that AMD didn't have enough to actually design an entirely new architecture (Zen is probably K10 revamped BTW-where has the R&D money come from?) with CMT, just take an old one (K10) and modify it to be something technically new. Its why I go by the Phenom II/FX core/module comparison. AMD went with the cheapest option.

Benchmarks suggest that it possibly is a new arch altogether, K10 is faster per core.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

I own both cpus with the same gpu and I can tell you that the i7 is way better

If you ever do extreme overclocking, make sure the FX 8350 goes under LN2 first.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

No it actually can't. ALU aren't cores and never will be. CMT can not be described the same way as standard CPU architectures due to its very nature. However the components can be described the same way.

*sigh* when people try to be smart.

They both accomplish the same thing in different ways.

So, there are still people on the face of this planet that could possibly think that a 120$ AMD CPU could compete in any way shape or form with a 350$ modern intel CPU and that's what worries me.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Benchmarks suggest that it possibly is a new arch altogether, K10 is faster per core.

AMD pretty much split the ALU, reducing single threaded performance. I know K10 has a higher IPC becuase its performance is very close if not above that of Intel's Wolfdale (I need to drop my Xeon X5450 down to 2.2GHz to compare it with my Phenom II N970), and my X5450 smashes an FX 8350 clock for clock in tasks that use up to 6 threads.

PMSL

EDIT: Thanks everyone :) He's very stubborn though haha. Still refuses to believe. But he's a good guy :)

I am unsure if this is the correct section to be posting this, so I apologize in advance.

My friend and I are debating whether the 4790k is faster/better than the FX-8350.

His argument is that the FX-8350 is better than the 4790k because it has the same stock speed of 4.0GHz but it has 8 cores, 8 threads in comparison to 4790k which has 4 cores, 8 threads. But I am very sure the 4790k is better simply because of the architecture.

Can someone please explain to me which one is better and why with detail? All I know or think is that the architecture in the 4790k is better, I know nothing of why haha. And then please give a comparison between the two.

It would be much appreciated :)

P.S. It's a friendly argument haha

Just get some benchmarks. Not only is the i7 faster by quite a lot, it also eats about half the power and makes a lot less heat. The fx chips are like 220w. I'm an Intel fanboy ever since the phantom 2 955 x4 disappeared. Those were the last AMD glory days. Since then any time I build people a PC, o ly reason to throw an AMD CPU into a system is if its a Low budget build, in which case I throw in an fx4100/4150. If he has 300eu+ to spend on a CPU then an i7 is the way to go, no doubt

*sigh* when people try to be smart.

They both accomplish the same thing in different ways.

You can't call ALU cores-because they aren't. CMT is always * modules *threads.

PMSL

My take on the FX line is that AMD didn't have enough to actually design an entirely new architecture (Zen is probably K10 revamped BTW-where has the R&D money come from?) with CMT, just take an old one (K10) and modify it to be something technically new. Its why I go by the Phenom II/FX core/module comparison. AMD went with the cheapest option.

I have read some articles that AMD will finally put way more into single threaded performance of the Zen line and they will make a 12 cored one, don't know if it's true, more of a speculation I guess =) But I really do hope they're good just for the sake of CPU segment improving, Intel with no real competition right now did almost no improvements 4790k->6700k which is kinda a bummer

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I have read some articles that AMD will finally put way more into single threaded performance of the Zen line and they will make a 12 cored one, don't know if it's true, more of a speculation I guess =) But I really do hope they're good just for the sake of CPU segment improving, Intel with no real competition right now did almost no improvements 4790k->6700k which is kinda a bummer

The rumours about AMD adding more cores worries me. They would be putting the cart before the horse again and the CPU will be shit overall. There is a reason Intel has decided that 4 cores with SMT is ample-more isn't actually needed apart from a relatively small niche of the PC market.

PMSL

Six cores can definitely benefit, see the Phenom II x6, that thing is a beast for K10...

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

Six cores can definitely benefit, see the Phenom II x6, that thing is a beast for K10...

Here is a snip from the cinebench topic:

post-155575-0-72847000-1441973904_thumb.

Oh and the FX 8320 got rekt (and that's only my i5, not my 4790K).

PMSL

Stock i7 4790k 3 CB behind an FX 8350 at over 5.3GHz:
post-155575-0-80319300-1441974097_thumb.

PMSL

attachicon.gifUntitled7.jpg

I see a FX 6200 at 4.7ghz losing to a 3.5 ghz Phenom II x6

The rumours about AMD adding more cores worries me. They would be putting the cart before the horse again and the CPU will be shit overall. There is a reason Intel has decided that 4 cores with SMT is ample-more isn't actually needed apart from a relatively small niche of the PC market.

Well yeah I didn't say that they'd put them in the mainstream ones, I assumed these would be the highest-end ones like Intel's got in the 5820k (12T) or higher, I really do hope that Zen is not a failure...

All in all the FX series wasn't that big of a failure either, in the end some these CPUs are being sold from 2011 up until today and many people have them, I'm not saying that they're good or bad, they definitely have their use though ^^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

attachicon.gifUntitled7.jpg

to be fair that 8320 was at stock , my 8350 oc'd was a couple hundred points higher than that.

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

to be fair that 8320 was at stock , my 8350 oc'd was a couple hundred points higher than that.

My i5 was only running 100MHz below its single threaded boost clock, so technically still stock.

PMSL