Is the Intel i3 worth it for a $1000 desktop? Also why is there no FM3+ ITX Motherboard

spiker907

This is my first post btw so, yay.

I'm curious to know if a core i3 is actually any good. I'm somewhat good to computer at 13 and I don't know if I should make more money to spend on the i5 4690k.

What I sadly do on my terrible laptop: CS:GO, CS:S, TF2, Sony Vegas 13, Photoshop CS5, Sketchbook Pro 6, YouTube browsing, and school work. I definetly need an upgrade being that I play CS:GO with average 9 frames per seconds with low settings. The build that I have designed is down below. So onto the CPU stuff, I've been told by many Intel fan boys that I should get an i3 instead of FX Amd CPU's because games today are still kinda meant for dual cores. I do not know if this is correct so please help. I do know that Intel puts more power per core but do I really need quad cores for games?

Also, why is there no FM3+ ITX Motherboard because $100 I like better than the i3's and Pentiums. Even if I get told to use the i3, seriously why no FM3+ ITX Motherboard. Additionally, should I spend more money for the GTX950 or go with the 750ti?

$1000 desktop build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YW7zTW

is there no monitor you can use? do you NEED to buy one?

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

also remember to follow your own topic

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

thats a nice build considering you're 13, a 950s vs a 960s performance margins are somewhat close to each other but  if you find the 960 on sale its a better choice. Also if you can afford the 4gb option you'd be future proofing your build even more

i would stick with it, just get rid of the mini motherboard and the mini tower and make it a full sized one, unless you want a mini one, which i dont see why.

is someone going to mention that neither FM3 or FM3+ are currently a thing yet.

Also there are quite a few FM2 ITX boards too chose from.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

^This.

You can swap out the 970 for something like a 390 and get more performance.

The 970 will do better with heat inside such a small case, and the 970 and 390 pretty much trade blows in most games. Plus the games he says he plays are gonna be easy as cake to run, meaning with a custom fan curve the 970's fans can stay off most of the time. Also he said he works in Adobe and they have good CUDA support.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

While the I3 series are good processors they are aimed at basic computer applications and low power systems. They preform poorly on more demanding applications. The I5 will generally stay useful longer plus you will be able to overclock it when it begins to show its age. Intel has some general advantages like support for PCI-e 3.0 while AMD use 2.0 even on the fx platform. Meaning currently only intel meets the requirements for NVIDA SLI certification currently as it requires a PCI-e 3.0 8x connection. The AMD CPU will bring you more CPU cores and threads now at the expense of future expandability and lack of options for multiple GPU set-ups.

There is M-itx size motherboard for AMD FX CPU due to an number of reasons and limitations that the FX platform has. With the only m-ATX available and those are lacking in gaming preferred features.

The 960 is much better for desktop gaming applications with the 750 ti being a great option for entry level desktop gaming or htpc use. The 750 ti is also a lacklustre overclocker due to the lack of additional power. they potential is there for it to be a great over clocking card but the lack of a supplemental power connector holds it back  

The corsair power supply will be a bit of a Hassle to use in a m-itx case where air flow is at a premium the silverstone ST45SF-G is a much better choice

for m-ITX cases 

EDIT: the FM series of sockets (I.E. FM1 FM2 and FM2+)  is for the APU's and the Socket for the FX is the AM3+ all the names that AMD has for its sockets is so confusing  

Woke up today and got excited when I saw all these comments, because you don't get this kinda support in YouTube comments. I have a question though, which of the following is best bang for the buck; R9 390, GTX 970, or the R9 290. And could you tell me which one to buy (Asus, MSI, etc.) Thanks.

Woke up today and got excited when I saw all these comments, because you don't get this kinda support in YouTube comments. I have a question though, which of the following is best bang for the buck; R9 390, GTX 970, or the R9 290. And could you tell me which one to buy (Asus, MSI, etc.) Thanks.

390 for a bit more future proofing

970 if you like cuda and physx and gameworks..and nvenc

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Xeon (i7) + 390 + ssd/hdd + monitor

Get windows from reddit or g2a.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($40.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($41.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.78 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  ($314.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus VX228H 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($122.98 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1005.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-11 08:11 EDT-0400

The site has changed....

i would stick with it, just get rid of the mini motherboard and the mini tower and make it a full sized one, unless you want a mini one, which i dont see why.

The mini is cheaper and more portable

Xeon (i7) + 390 + ssd/hdd + monitor

Get windows from reddit or g2a.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($40.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($41.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.78 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  ($314.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ NCIX US)

Monitor: Asus VX228H 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($122.98 @ Best Buy)

Total: $1005.67

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-11 08:11 EDT-0400

There is no OS

There is no OS

reddit or g2a.

Otherwise cut down to R9 380/290 and get windows 10

The site has changed....

is there no monitor you can use? do you NEED to buy one?

Well I do have one from 1992...