Windows 7 "GodMode" - Control Center for Everything About Windows 7

EChondo

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-10423985-285/understanding-windows-7s-godmode/

Although its name suggests perhaps even grander capabilities, Windows enthusiasts are excited over the discovery of a hidden "GodMode" feature that lets users access all of the operating system's control panels from within a single folder.

By creating a new folder in Windows 7 and renaming it with a certain text string at the end, users are able to have a single place to do everything from changing the look of the mouse pointer to making a new hard-drive partition.

The trick is also said to work in Windows Vista, although some are warning that although it works fine in 32-bit versions of Vista, it can cause 64-bit versions of that operating system to crash.

To enter "GodMode," one need only create a new folder and then rename the folder to the following:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Once that is done, the folder's icon will change to resemble a control panel and will contain dozens of control options. I'm not sure it's my idea of playing God, but it is a handy way to get to all kinds of controls.

I've asked Microsoft for more details on the feature and how it came to be. But so far, Redmond is silent on the topic.

"GodMode" is pretty much the all in one place where every bit of control is placed in.

Go ahead and create a folder and rename it "GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" then press enter!

Wow, great find!

Really useful for me since i like changing themes/whatever, no more wasting time going through control panel and shiz

Just to confirm, it does indeed work on Windows 8. Why it would not, I do not know, but it certainly does work.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Just to confirm, it does indeed work on Windows 8. Why it would not, I do not know, but it certainly does work.

How about Windows XP? I would assume so...

this is like the oldest thing ever!

Awesome! You should have told us sooner then!

Thanks OP, I'm surprised I never found this before after all the years I've been using Windows 7 :P

GW2: Vettexl.9726

How about Windows XP? I would assume so...

If it has issues in Vista, I am note sure about XP.

Hmm, hold on, let me run it in compatibility mode and find out. /joke

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Yea I saw this in CPU Magazine a while ago and it is pretty cool imo. Thanks for posting this! :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I must be the most boring windows user on the planet, i don't even change the default windows background. Mostly I keep everything about a windows install vanilla, I just install my programs and go, never deal with Window Blinds and such.

/godmode

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

It's a cool trick for not-so-computer-savy-but-want-to-get-good-at-computers-fast people. But I seriously thought it would have commands beyond what you can find just snooping around the OS.

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

I saw this on my twitter feed about a year ago. lol never thought of posting it here. my mistake:)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Was thinking about it until I saw that it could cause crashes with 64-bit OS's

The Syndicate

How is this news? Shouldn't this be in the general discussions part of the forum? Sorry for being rude about this.

PC in Profile

The word godmode is just for fun, if you name a folder 'LinusTechTips.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}' it will do the same thing. It's not the name, it's the UID after the . that does it.

How is this news? Shouldn't this be in the general discussions part of the forum? Sorry for being rude about this.

You're not :) Just report the thread, the mods should determine where it best fits.

I just heard about this, and many others. So I thought since it is on websites like CNet, it could be classified as news, but meh.

This is very handy. I did not know about this before but I just found out that my girlfriend, who sits next to me with her PC, that she knew about this for some time and never told me about it. There WILL be a divorce, right after I marry her first..lol

This is awesome! I just created a file named "one file to rule them all" I wonder whether WB will try to C&D me...

I personally don't have much use for it(at least I didn't realize it) but good to know! Might come in handy at some point. =D

Pretty sure this has been around since NT. I know it works on XP through 8.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I knew about this about a year ago

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Can you put the GodMode folder on a thumb drive and use it on any PC? If so it could go with the other fancy tools you use to debug and declutter the PC's of friends and family, or in a work environment.

Know this when i try to bypass isp throttling. Had to change many stuffs,after that never touch it again.