noob build! good? bad?

seems fine, only thing I would fix is get a tad bit smaller of a PSU, something like 650w-700w will do you good with your config

SEEMS K.

guy above is right. that psu is a bit too many, can use a smaller opne if you need to

Error: 410

Looks real good for a "noob" build.  Haha, it'll be able to play lots of things at max settings; with low filters though. Assuming it's just for gaming since you only have a 256 GB SSD. Other than that, everything goes well with one another. Would've suggested a smaller PSU but you're using an old one so no worries.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

Do you specifically want a touch screen monitor? If not a PA248Q or Dell U2412HM would be a better value.

You're planning a new build yes? If so, it'd be nice to know what parts you might be able to use from your old pc. 

What's this build going to be used for?

I'd bump up to haswell, get a cheaper mobo, get cheaper ram, bump up to a 7950/7970, and not get a touch screen monitor. They are very gimmicky imo and you won't be using it if you're on a desktop. It's really only useful when it's for a mobile device. You won't be saving any time by lifting your hands off of the mouse or keyboard to touch the screen.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

lower psu. maybe 500 watts
upgrade the graphics card with the extra money.

Get rid of the touchscreen monitor you will not use it as much as you think and won't need it, go Haswell and get a smaller psu like 600w as Haswell sips power, get cheaper ram unless its already the best option as full black is hot as hell.

This would net you possibly 150 to 200 more to upgrade your gpu or your cooling for a beast build or you could spend it on periphals.

Seems good, one suggestion, knock the SSD to the Samsung 840 250GB instead of the Pro version. The change in speed is not noticeable in reality.

i5 4670k @ 4.6Ghz | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4) 2133MHz | Gigabyte GA-Z87x-UD3H | Silverstrone 850W | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 250GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | 2x Gigabyte Windforce Gtx 780s

@Durzy

1, Upgrade to Haswell.

2. Get Radeon Hd 7950 (better performing and overclocks SUPER well, up to 7970 performance), 760 Ti (when it comes out), or wait for AMD 9000 series.

3. I dont think 256gb is enough, u should get a 1TB HDD (Seagate or WD is fine)

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

NinjaStyle013 what gpu upgrade did you have in mind?

7950 or 7970 would be good, I'm unsure on the prices in your area however. This is assuming you are still spending 1500.

Going Haswell means you can get more performance at lower heat and power consumption.

@Henry why haswell?

Haswell is newer and better.

update! after consideration of feedback! 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qIK3

Edits: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qOVw

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@WoodenMarker gosh I love pcpartpicker! 

I don't quite understand the recommendation of the amd 7970 3gb over the 770 4gb though

Much, much cheaper. Nearly neck to neck performance.

Haswell is newer and better.

Edits: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qOVw

I totally agree with this, except if it were me, I'd totally get 1.5V ram, but I am jus being super picky :).  Are OCZ PSU's that great?? I heard they bought out PP&C but they still don't use their oem's :(.  Mebbe I am totally over thinking this tho xD

<3

Steph

PS: I LOVE the Prodigy, it's such an adorable little case :)

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

I totally agree with this, except if it were me, I'd totally get 1.5V ram, but I am jus being super picky :).  Are OCZ PSU's that great?? I heard they bought out PP&C but they still don't use their oem's :(.  Mebbe I am totally over thinking this tho xD

Intel employees have confirmed 1.65v ram works with no problem. As long as you're not going over 1.8-1.9v, you're perfectly fine.

OCZ makes decent psus.

I don't quite understand the recommendation of the amd 7970 3gb over the 770 4gb though

Cheaper and similar performance.

Or even go cheaper and get 7950 ($230) and OC, EASILY get to 7970 performance, which is similar to 770 performance.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1rf6w

This I would say is ideal. You have the PSU already.
so fo 1400$ you get a decent monitor IPS monitor at 16:10 aswell as an XFX Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition

You can proberly switch the IPS monitor to a TN and save costs there if you don't think you are gonna miss the better display.

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

Much, much cheaper. Nearly neck to neck performance.

This, unless you really want physX.