CPU Argument 4790k vs 6600k

Hi fellas.

my older brother is going to build his own PC and he has been deciding whether to go for the older i74790k or the newer i5 6600k.

because I own a 4790k I told him that this would be the best option for what he plans to do with the PC. However, his friend who only games on his PC has the new skylake 6600k. My bro wants to not only play games but also upload vids to youtube, browse the internet and live stream movies from his PC.

NOTE: he will be using the GTX 980 EVGA SC ACX 2.0 like me as he not likes the look of it but also its performance.

can someone back me up here? am I giving him the best advice? or is his friend?

If he doesn't understand a computer that well tell him this exactly "hyper-threading = more cores" of course a complete lie, but it does make rendering and streaming a lot less stressful :3. You're in the right here, your brothers friend must be the kind of guy who thinks a bigger number is better.

The 4790k will be a lot better in rendering and stuff. Tell him to go 4790k or if he absolutely wants skylake get a i7-6700k. If he wants to render videos and stuff don't bother with an i5

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

The 4790k is a far more powerful cpu. I'd get that over the 6600 any day.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

He'll get maybe 2-5 more FPS, but if thats enough for him, then go for that.

But i would recommend the 4790k.

For his purposes, the 6600K would be the better option. However, the 4690K would perhaps be a more viable option because DDR4 is still expensive compared to DDR3 and Skylake offers perhaps 5% performance over Haswell. The extra cost for the 4790K isn't worth it.

Edit: When you say upload videos to Youtube, is he editing them?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

i7>i5 ofcourse but if he mostly just games then the i5 will be plenty, save the money and get the newer tech imo

the occasional youtube upload wont benefit much from an i7 but if he does alot of editing and rendering THEN he would want the i7

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

Hello there masked. Although the skylake line is (theoreticcaly) far more powerful than it's counterpart, there is still a distinctive difference between the 4790k and 6600k. The 4790k and 6600k both have 4 cores, although the 4790k has hyper-threading, and is clocked a bit higher. It truly depends on what you need either one for, if your workflow is more geared towards multithreaded workloads you can't go wrong with the 4790k. Although if you are simply playing games, the 6600k is a more cost effective solution. Considering that your friend would like to play games, process videos, and livestream, I would personally go with the 4790k, it being more powerful. 

--Darkness3840

For his purposes, the 6600K would be the better option. However, the 4690K would perhaps be a more viable option because DDR4 is still expensive compared to DDR3 and Skylake offers perhaps 5% performance over Haswell. The extra cost for the 4790K isn't worth it.

Edit: When you say upload videos to Youtube, is he editing them?

Yes he will be editing them. I don't think he cares about the FPS difference, he'll go into OC'ing soon enough though.

If he doesn't understand a computer that well tell him this exactly "hyper-threading = more cores" of course a complete lie, but it does make rendering and streaming a lot less stressful :3. You're in the right here, your brothers friend must be the kind of guy who thinks a bigger number is better.

Yeah his friend went with the 6600k as he thought the 6600 is higher number than the 4790 so it must be better. I went with 4790k when building my PC and didn't even thing skylake was worth it.

Yes he will be editing them. I don't think he cares about the FPS difference, he'll go into OC'ing soon enough though.

If he's not doing it too often, a 4690K or 6600K will suffice.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

his friend keeps referring to this Video to support his argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWxncqbe1H8

If he's not doing it too often, a 4690K or 6600K will suffice.

he does plan to do quite a bit, but sometimes Uni will get in the way so he might not be able to do as much as he wishes.

he does plan to do quite a bit, but sometimes Uni will get in the way so he might not be able to do as much as he wishes.

His friend must be kidding me. He compares an overclocked 6600K @ 4.5GHz to "stock speed" 4790K and 3770K. Yeah, good comparison. 

His friend must be kidding me. He compares an overclocked 6600K @ 4.5GHz to "stock speed" 4790K and 3770K. Yeah, good comparison. 

That video also includes a stock 6600K. It compares favourably against the 4790K even then-in spite of the fact it's clocked lower. 

That video also includes a stock 6600K. It compares favourably against the 4790K even then-in spite of the fact it's clocked lower.

Factor in video editing and photo editing where all threads are used and the 6600K will lose.

A 4790k still has more power per core and also has hyper threading

The Brokish Boy v1: CPU: i7-8700k GPU: MSI Gaming X GTX ti MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus X Code Ram: G.Skill Trident Z 4x8gb 3200mhz DRIVES: 2x3TB WD Black , 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 500gb 970 EVO SSD Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black Headphone: ATH-MSR7 Mic: Blue Yeti Monitors: 27" BenQ GW2765 1440p; IPS, 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p; VA

Add to all these voices... there is a bug in the Skylake chips. It's *slower* than the Haswell when using a discrete gpu. Only by 1-3% and it's going to be fixed but right now the Haswell is faster.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Here in Australia the 6700K and 4790K are almost the same price, only like a $10-20 difference (a lunch pretty much). Z170 motherboards are also pretty much the same too ($5-10 difference). DDR4 prices is insignificant compared to DDR3 these days. Why not go with the i7 6700K instead?

The i7 6700K has extra 4 PCIe lanes which is really helpful and the Z170 mainstream/budget motherboards uses the latest technologies that is found on more premium Z97 boards.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

Realistically it doesn't matter which one.

Though he should really be choosing between a 6600k and a 6700k.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Hyperthreading helps multitasking IMMENSELY as well.

4790K > 6600K there's no real other arguement for this. Unless someone can prove that the 6600K absolutely can OC much higher on air, and the users doesn't want to multitask or do anything where hyperthreading benefits, that is.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Hi fellas.

my older brother is going to build his own PC and he has been deciding whether to go for the older i74790k or the newer i5 6600k.

because I own a 4790k I told him that this would be the best option for what he plans to do with the PC. However, his friend who only games on his PC has the new skylake 6600k. My bro wants to not only play games but also upload vids to youtube, browse the internet and live stream movies from his PC.

NOTE: he will be using the GTX 980 EVGA SC ACX 2.0 like me as he not likes the look of it but also its performance.

Forget the 6600k, he should be comparing the 4790k and the 6700k.

They ran those tests at below 1080p (most likely 720p) to maximize the difference between those CPUs. The differences are much smaller at 1080p or greater. 4790k.

"Try not to take things personally; what people say about you on the internet is a reflection of them, not you!"

Hi fellas.

An i7 beats an i5, doesn't matter the generation. I would say tho, for his usage, an i5 might be perfectly fine, and i always prefer going with the newest platform. If the budget allows a 6700k that would be the best choice. If not, probably the 4790K, but i would really think about how much will he actually benefit from hyperthreading, if the benefit is near to nothing, then i would get the newest platform, if it would make a difference on heavy workloads, then it's smarted getting an i7

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

• 4 weeks later...

Here in Australia the 6700K and 4790K are almost the same price, only like a $10-20 difference (a lunch pretty much). Z170 motherboards are also pretty much the same too ($5-10 difference). DDR4 prices is insignificant compared to DDR3 these days. Why not go with the i7 6700K instead?

The i7 6700K has extra 4 PCIe lanes which is really helpful and the Z170 mainstream/budget motherboards uses the latest technologies that is found on more premium Z97 boards.

I'm in New Zealand and that's true as well. I can find a 4790k for 573$ and a 6700k for 609$ the only thing is if my bro goes for ddr4 he will be getting the Asrock pro4 which doesn't look good compared to ddr3 mobos at around the 260$ mark.

I wish I had a brother to argue about CPU's with... :(

Either way, go for the i7 as multitasking capabilities would likely be more efficient.