980ti , 390, or fury?

Tony.C

I am planning to build another computer soon and I am just unsure of which GPU to purchase at the moment. Especially with all the talk of dx12 and freesynch being cheaper at the moment. Id like to get a 1440p ultrawide monitor eventually as well. 

Your opinions and suggestions are all appreciated!

• You won't be able to find a Fury

390 is ehh imo

980ti is your best bet. Though I would get a 960 and spend the rest on a night out or something.

go for the 980ti. its the more popular option and is just an overall good idea. i guarantee you wont complain about the performance in 1440p 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

If you want to go 1440p ultrawide in the near future, than the 980ti or Fury are your best bet. The 980 Ti is better performing than the Fury AFAIK (the Fury is somewhere between the 980 and 980 Ti) so the 980 Ti is the one I'd go for if you have the cash.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I am planning to build another computer soon and I am just unsure of which GPU to purchase at the moment. Especially with all the talk of dx12 and freesynch being cheaper at the moment. Id like to get a 1440p ultrawide monitor eventually as well. 

Definitely 980ti.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

980Ti. It's really too early to tell how DX12 will really affect performance. We'd have to wait for more than one game to come out with full support. 

That's true. It's looking like full DX12 support will benefit the Fury cards quite a bit, as the lack of full support on Nvidia's side has restricted performance, although this has only been measured in one game. Once more games and benchmarks come out for DX12 then we'll know more on just how much the GTX 980 Ti is suited to DX12 or not. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

personally because of the above reasons I would either wait or go down the AMD route. The Nano is out shortly so maybe at least wait until then for benchmarks etc. 

That's true. It's looking like full DX12 support will benefit the Fury cards quite a bit, as the lack of full support on Nvidia's side has restricted performance, although this has only been measured in one game. Once more games and benchmarks come out for DX12 then we'll know more on just how much the GTX 980 Ti is suited to DX12 or not. 

You also need to bear in mind that it will take time for DX12 to become the norm. There are still games that don't support DX11, so it's not like DX12 will be adopted straight away. 

There will be new GPU series designed for DX12 full support (rather than the DX12 11_1 that most current cards have) by the time DX12 is commonplace. 

• 390 is ehh imo
  • 980ti is your best bet. Though I would get a 960 and spend the rest on a night out or something.

Unless it's with your crush it doesn't really make sense to change a 980ti for a 960

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

• 390 is ehh imo
  • 980ti is your best bet. Though I would get a 960 and spend the rest on a night out or something.

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-TRIPLE-PCI-Express-Graphics/dp/B011D7A526/ref=sr_1_12?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1441743762&sr=1-12

I5 4460 | Sapphire R7 265 | 8gb DDR3

980ti

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

If you've got the spare change, definitely the 980 Ti.

Arcturus(log here): Intel Core i7 6700K // MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G(1454/1995) // Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 16GB //  MSI XPower Gaming Titanium Edition // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB // WD Black 2TB // Corsair 760T // Corsair RM850i

• 390 is ehh imo

^^^ Pretty much all of this, and I'll just add that I think it would be very silly to make any $650 purchasing decisions based on the DirectX 12 information we have available right now.

Why?

Because AMD has problems with HBM delivery...

Here in Europe it's not in stock anywhere.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

960 is shit. Also that's a expensive 500$ night out....

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Who cares? I will be definitely getting a Pascal or Arctic Island next year.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

either get a 390, or wait to see how Pascal will perform. If money is no concern, than a 980ti will do well for existing dx11 games.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Because AMD has problems with HBM delivery...

Here in Europe it's not in stock anywhere.

U wot m8? Seems pretty damn available to me here in the Netherlands.

Price isn't too bad either. Used to be available but €100 extra a few months ago.

U wot m8? Seems pretty damn available to me here in the Netherlands.

Price isn't too bad either. Used to be available but €100 extra a few months ago.

I think you are the drunk one, that's a normal aircooled Fury not Fury X.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

thx guys! it looks like everyone has managed to convince me with the 980ti

thx guys! it looks like everyone has managed to convince me with the 980ti

Good choice man there awesome

(Take no notice of the converter he has no idea what he's on about)

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933