A challenging game to play with my 10 year old nephew.

orcinhell

So recently I have been spending more time with my nephew. I pick him up from school because his dad works late, I help with his homework and then we play some PC together before he goes home. Last time I was at his house he showed me his games on xbox, all of them had very low or no progression, he is not very good at games, and expects them to be easy or fails to understand the concepts. He loves arcade style games mainly because I feel they already have things unlocked i.e. with racing games most tracks are unlocked with a good selection of cars.

I decided to teach him how to play games, and purposely choose harder more grown up games. The last game we played and finished was Tomb Raider 2013. It had great mechanics, such as ledges being painted white to tell the player they can climb there... boss battles were easy to solve. I never beat something for him but paused the game and explained the situation and the problem... Why are you dying here? too many enemy... What weapon are you using? the bow... So what weapon should you use? he would go Ahhh the rifle (ak47 style gun)... Now what do you see? barrels... exactly. use the environment. At the start he would often dye using the same tactic and weapon over and over until he beat it, by the end while every so often he would do that he started using more weapons and trying different tactics when one failed a few times. It might sound boring but he had a blast while I helped him understand how games communicate with the player.

For our next game I was thinking fallout 3 but wanted some opinions on a good second game to play with him. Control support is almost a must, while I plan to build a pc for him when he is older his hands are still a bit small to use WASD and shift to run while also using his other hand to control the mouse so he uses an xbox one controller i got. 

kerbal space program, learn the early stages of rocket science.

rocket league.

octodad dadliest catch

sonic, really any old school game you grew up on, like crazy taxi. 

So recently I have been spending more time with my nephew. I pick him up from school because his dad works late, I help with his homework and then we play some PC together before he goes home. Last time I was at his house he showed me his games on xbox, all of them had very low or no progression, he is not very good at games, and expects them to be easy or fails to understand the concepts. He loves arcade style games mainly because I feel they already have things unlocked i.e. with racing games most tracks are unlocked with a good selection of cars.

I decided to teach him how to play games, and purposely choose harder more grown up games. The last game we played and finished was Tomb Raider 2013. It had great mechanics, such as ledges being painted white to tell the player they can climb there... boss battles were easy to solve. I never beat something for him but paused the game and explained the situation and the problem... Why are you dying here? too many enemy... What weapon are you using? the bow... So what weapon should you use? he would go Ahhh the rifle (ak47 style gun)... Now what do you see? barrels... exactly. use the environment. At the start he would often dye using the same tactic and weapon over and over until he beat it, by the end while every so often he would do that he started using more weapons and trying different tactics when one failed a few times. It might sound boring but he had a blast while I helped him understand how games communicate with the player.

For our next game I was thinking fallout 3 but wanted some opinions on a good second game to play with him. Control support is almost a must, while I plan to build a pc for him when he is older his hands are still a bit small to use WASD and shift to run while also using his other hand to control the mouse so he uses an xbox one controller i got. 

I know I'll get blasted for this but I'd highly recommend Final Fantasy!  It's a thinking game with full controller support and runs on pretty much any computer.  It has beautiful graphics and I like the mechanics in it.  It has a story line and that means life lessons so it's never bad to put impressions like that on kids.

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

Right now I'm playing FFXIII and I am loving it but really an final fantasy game is good and I'd highly recommend all of 'em!

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Outlast  :lol:

you want him to give the kid nightmares

kerbal space program, learn the early stages of rocket science.

rocket league.

octodad dadliest catch

sonic, really any old school game you grew up on, like crazy taxi. 

agreed kerbal space program, 

OP, maybe some strategy games like Civ 5

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Lol... I showed him doom 3 and he was scared (tried acting brave)... I don't think he would ever sleep again after outlast.

You could just play GTAV with him and teach him the strip club mechanics :3

Fallout might be a little too graphic, but Halo if it's an xbox definately for movement and aiming skills...

There's an awesome game called Skyrim out there (Sarasm meter high) that isn't too graphic (I believe there's settings if you're worried about that)... Every gamer I know has played the ElderScrolls at least for 3 hours, so y'know what I mean. Assassins Creed I found is a not too violent (heheh but seriously, I got more scared of Halo thaan AC) but it's pretty easy to understand with pretty good tutorials and forgiving respawns (so you don't rage alot)...

OR just buy him a gamecube and buy all the old-school Zelda games. That's how my grandparents got me into gaming (yus, my parents weren't fond of it...)

Also, if you're going to build him a PC, you should start talking about whaat type of gear he'll want (i.e. Mechanical switches, Razer, Corsair, Logitech, Razer, etc)... Just a good converstion starter. Who knows?! He might not even like PC games. I have a few friends that use controllers for everything.

NOTE: If there's any spelling errors, don't hate plz... My keyboaard is giving me issues (TIP: Don't spill waater on a mecchaantical keyboard...)

-LukeS

I_M_3rd

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

Counter Strike GO, at 10 years old his reactions and reflexes will be god like...

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

Fallout might be a little too graphic, but Halo if it's an xbox definately for movement and aiming skills...

There's an awesome game called Skyrim out there (Sarasm meter high) that isn't too graphic (I believe there's settings if you're worried about that)... Every gamer I know has played the ElderScrolls at least for 3 hours, so y'know what I mean. Assassins Creed I found is a not too violent (heheh but seriously, I got more scared of Halo thaan AC) but it's pretty easy to understand with pretty good tutorials and forgiving respawns (so you don't rage alot)...

OR just buy him a gamecube and buy all the old-school Zelda games. That's how my grandparents got me into gaming (yus, my parents weren't fond of it...)

Also, if you're going to build him a PC, you should start talking about whaat type of gear he'll want (i.e. Mechanical switches, Razer, Corsair, Logitech, Razer, etc)... Just a good converstion starter. Who knows?! He might not even like PC games. I have a few friends that use controllers for everything.

NOTE: If there's any spelling errors, don't hate plz... My keyboaard is giving me issues (TIP: Don't spill waater on a mecchaantical keyboard...)

-LukeS

I_M_3rd

Wow yea good call on skyrim not sure why but it totally didn't occur to me. Great game suggestion and I already have it.

Worms. It can be played with a pad, is fun for a kid that age and challenging.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

world of goo :) its an indie game, has childish styled graphics and makes you think :)

Wow yea good call on skyrim not sure why but it totally didn't occur to me. Great game suggestion and I already have it.

Keep me informed on how it's going! He's lucky to have you as an uncle/aunt... If you need any steam games, I have a few codes I can get you for a good % off of stuff.

Will you try co-op games with him on xbox/pc? If so, then probably Call of Duty or something like that in a private LAN party just to teach him basic FPS game mechanics. Just an idea, so when he goes to his friends' houses, he can pwn all of them... I wish I had that training *looks into distance*...

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

Keep me informed on how it's going! He's lucky to have you as an uncle/aunt... If you need any steam games, I have a few codes I can get you for a good % off of stuff.

Will you try co-op games with him on xbox/pc? If so, then probably Call of Duty or something like that in a private LAN party just to teach him basic FPS game mechanics. Just an idea, so when he goes to his friends' houses, he can pwn all of them... I wish I had that training *looks into distance*...

I was thinking the same thing. What a great uncle/aunt. I'm not sure how old he is but one of my favorite games is Call of Duty:World at War zombies. On PC, there are endless amounts of maps to play. I also back skyrim too. Also with the Xbox, maybe some sports games? Baseball,football, hockey, what ever y'all are into. You could also emulate the Zelda games too. Those are great fun. The batman arkham games are good too. @orcinhell

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

People who recommend shooters to a 10 Year old Kid should think about themself.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

People who recommend shooters to a 10 Year old Kid should think about themself.

Unlike you I'm not selfish and single minded......

Anyway, I played FPS games when I was that age...

Unlike you I'm not selfish and single minded......

Anyway, I played FPS games when I was that age...

Im selfish and singleminded because i think Games in which you Kill arent good for 10 Year old Kids?

Well, i hope you are no Father.

Im selfish and singleminded because i think Games in which you Kill arent good for 10 Year old Kids?

Ohhh hooo boo hoo hee haa ughhh puke.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

If he has a Xbox why not try out Forza or a similar racing game, teach him fine thumbstick movement and how to time things like gear changes and when to brake. Other then that maybe a Batman game cause button mashing or Portal if hes into puzzles.

When i was 10, i was playing BFBC 2 ,BF2, Cod MW2,Need for speed,World of tanks on PC

i was really good in BF2 and BC2, but i was quite bad in MW2

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

one finger deathpunch!!!

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

People think that that's what makes these kids 'mental'. I'd disagree. I'd say yes, phsycologically, a child may be driven to points of anger or angry outbursts due to the games, but rarely will actually kill someone knowing what the consequenses are. Instead, I'd blame the parents for encouraging the child to do evil or harm to others, or even if they got a divorce. Those types of things effect kids more than violent video games do. I did a debate on this topic. I have it somewhere...