Xperia Z5 Premium Teardown: Dual Heat Pipe Cooling, Thermal Paste

So this is fairly interesting. By now we've all heard that the SD810 is the literal Mount Vesuvius of SoCs and almost every manufacturer has had to either deal with the heat or come up with hanky solutions (like throttling the chip) to make sure your experience isn't soured. 

Sony however? Showing their expertise in hardware design shoved a couple of heat pipes and thermal paste. Awesome. Overkill cooling solution but one that allows this phone to even record a reported 38 minutes of 4K video without throttling or otherwise crashing. 

Source

xperia-z5-premium-teardown.jpg

Well, Sony claims that it has fixed the issues, but other manufacturers have claimed this as well. Not all the journalists present on site, at IFA, are agreeing with Sony, but until a consensus is reached let’s take a look at what Sony did to ameliorate the overheating resulted from the 4K display – Snapdragon 810 combo.

Take a look, and join us after for more details.Considering the pic above is legit, Sony not only that went with a dual cooling heat-pipe system (see the upper part of the smartphone, probably where the CPU is located), but also applied one layer of thermal paste. You know, just like that paste you apply from time to time on Desktop CPUs.

This is freaking awesome that they could fit it in the phone. I wonder what their solution is for the regular Z5 and Z5 compact?

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

0_0 Sony with that engineering. But still speculation.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Nice, hope that the Z5 Compact has this 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Thats absolutely fantastic if confirmed! So is Samsung launching a closed water loop on theyr upcoming Note 6 :P?

Groomlake Authority

This is fucking awesome, just hope wireless charging is built in like on Motorola phones.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

That is impressive, i'm eager to see the result once independent reviewers get there hands on these.