T-Mobile going after data 'thieves' who abuse unlimited data

TopWargamer

Its the fact that the are doing it tethered and using other things to get around it. I can guarantee that it's in the terms that you can't do it. I know it is with my carrier. I have tethered when I dont pay for it and it's been fine but I don't exceed my limit.

This is about tethered data, not mobile data.

So should you be allowed to tether your home router to your phone and use it as unlimited home broadband? This is the issue they are talking about. Not people using 2TB of data on their mobile device.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Once you reach 7GB(or 9/11/13/whateverGB your paying for) speeds just get reduced to 128kbps.

I'd like to point out that ^ is utter bullshit and a flat out lie from T-Mobile, it's no where even close to that 99% of the time.

2TB of data a month? What a bunch of fucking ass holes. I have seven people on my home internet(Comcast 50mbps down 10mbps up) and all of them download games, watch netflix/hulu and torrent and we'll usually use about 800GB to 900GB a month. Sometimes if I need to redownload a bunch of games it will go up to around 1.2TB. The most we've ever used in a single month was 1.4TB.

Yeah it's an open buffet but don't be the fat asshole piling up ten fourteen inch plates with all the food in sight that then goes back for seconds and thirds.

You're going to bitch about someone actually using the internet? That's hilarious. I've gone well over 2 TB a month before just doing things I always do.

I'll leave this here.

Yes, to use over 2TB a month is ridiculous, but if you are gonna be publicly salty about people using their unlimited data plan, then don't offer one.

This is why every contract with these companies usually has a clause in it stating that they can terminate your account at anytime no questions asked.

I'd like to point out that ^ is utter bullshit and a flat out lie from T-Mobile, it's no where even close to that 99% of the time.

You're going to bitch about someone actually using the internet? That's hilarious. I've gone well over 2 TB a month before just doing things I always do.

2TB a month by yourself? You'd better be running a server or you might need professional help for your addiction.

They use 70% more internet than 'your house' and that makes them 'fucking ass holes'?

I'm living in a house with seven gamers and netflix junkies including myself. If we cant reach 2TB a month on all of our Game downloads, 1080p video streaming and torrenting then you sure as hell shouldn't be hitting it on a fucking cell phone plan unless you're doing something greasy that isn't entirely above board.

2TB a month by yourself? You'd better be running a server or you might need professional help for your addiction.

Just because I do things doesn't mean there's anything wrong with me. You don't know how many dozens of gigabytes of files I've sent and received between people to work on.

Just because I do things doesn't mean there's anything wrong with me. You don't know how many dozens of gigabytes of files I've sent and received between people to work on.

Yes, but anyone that uses that much data on a freaking mobile phone plan (while not using it on a mobile phone/tablet) is EASILY in violation of contract.

Yes, but anyone that uses that much data on a freaking mobile phone plan (while not using it on a mobile phone/tablet) is EASILY in violation of contract.

Probably not. Cheating the system to not get throttled, most likely yes. But using 2 TB of data? Firstly, who gives a flying fuck. Secondly, some people might use that as their only internet connection.

LOL.

I've always found it a load of cr@p that you pay extra for tethering when your just using data you paid for.

Slightly different case here, but I'd say they're just bypassing the ISPs crappy restrictions with a VPN connection.

Add the two up and someone's seedbox is running some healthy numbers.

Probably not. Cheating the system to not get throttled, most likely yes. But using 2 TB of data? Firstly, who gives a flying fuck. Secondly, some people might use that as their only internet connection.

If I had the time right now I'd go through my T-Mobile agreements and find whatever part of the contract that says this. And using 2TB of data on your phone isn't breaching the contract, John Legere is specifically talking about the people who are changing APNs, using CM or various apps to get through the tethering limit they had set.  

If I had the time right now I'd go through my T-Mobile agreements and find whatever part of the contract that says this. And using 2TB of data on your phone isn't breaching the contract, John Legere is specifically talking about the people who are changing APNs, using CM or various apps to get through the tethering limit they had set.  

That is not what you said. ;)

That is not what you said. ;)

No.... That's what I said. " people who are changing APNs, using CM or various apps to get through the tethering limit they had set.  "  "Yes, but anyone that uses that much data on a freaking mobile phone plan (while not using it on a mobile phone/tablet) is EASILY in violation of contract." 

I was simply saying that you're paying for data on your phone. People could go ahead and use 2TB on it if they could somehow manage that. It's when people are using the data they paid for on their phone, and using it on another device.

I'm living in a house with seven gamers and netflix junkies including myself. If we cant reach 2TB a month on all of our Game downloads, 1080p video streaming and torrenting then you sure as hell shouldn't be hitting it on a fucking cell phone plan unless you're doing something greasy that isn't entirely above board.

Ah k, that makes more sense. T-Mobile isn't in my country, and I didn't actually know that the 'mobile' in the title referred to mobile phones. I always just assumed it was some new-age ISP name.

I will quote my question again.

This is about tethered data, not mobile data.

So should you be allowed to tether your home router to your phone and use it as unlimited home broadband? This is the issue they are talking about. Not people using 2TB of data on their mobile device.

This is essentially what you implied when you said "some people might use that as their only internet connection".

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

No.... That's what I said. " people who are changing APNs, using CM or various apps to get through the tethering limit they had set.  "  "Yes, but anyone that uses that much data on a freaking mobile phone plan (while not using it on a mobile phone/tablet) is EASILY in violation of contract." 

I was simply saying that you're paying for data on your phone. People could go ahead and use 2TB on it if they could somehow manage that. It's when people are using the data they paid for on their phone, and using it on another device.

I quoted you directly.. But sure, why not, disagree..somehow?

I will quote my question again.

This is essentially what you implied when you said "some people might use that as their only internet connection".

I think it's one in the same, or that they'd bitch either way. But I don't see a problem with people using mobile data for home devices.. it costs nearly the same as an internet connection from an ISP so why not?

I think it's one in the same, or that they'd bitch either way. But I don't see a problem with people using mobile data for home devices.. it costs nearly the same as an internet connection from an ISP so why not?

That's fair enough. I'm not sure of the price plans. If it does cost nearly the same then I can see a point in what you said.

I (EU) have a unlimited "with fair usage" mobile policy, that states a 15GB or more and we're going to throttle you. I pay €20 a month compared to approx €50/month home broadband packages. For €20 a month (phone/data costs) I don't expect to use mobile data as unlimited home data.

That's fair enough. I'm not sure of the price plans. If it does cost nearly the same then I can see a point in what you said.

I (EU) have a unlimited "with fair usage" mobile policy, that states a 15GB or more and we're going to throttle you. I pay €20 a month compared to approx €50/month home broadband packages. For €20 a month (phone/data costs) I don't expect to use mobile data as unlimited home data.

It could be priced competitively if they wanted to. Unlimited data with no throttling is entirely possible, they have the capacity they just choose not to.

Woke up

Saw this

instant headache.

How is it legal to call it unlimited, if it is limited? Seriously......flagrant false advertising? 

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Sounds like this wouldn't even be an issue if T-Mobile and other ISPs just did this:

Unlimited Data*

*1TB bandwidth per month.

or even this:

1TB bandwidth.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

To play devils advocate, the issue is purple who use tethered data on all their devices. I'll bet that if you're somehow going through 2TB of data on just your phone they won't bother you.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Woke up

Saw this

instant headache.

How is it legal to call it unlimited, if it is limited? Seriously......flagrant false advertising? 

people don't read the tos, or contracts

the limit is specified there .

but i think they got hammered before for false advertising. 

Yea guys its unlimited mobile internet they only allow 5 gigs of tethered data so it is exactly what you agreed to.

Its even written right under the main page

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

The problem is people are using their phones as 5 device Hotspots and getting rid of their home internet. You pay for cell Internet for your phone. You aren't paying for home services.

Intel Core I7-4790K 4.5GHz 1.225V, NZXT Kraken x60 AIO Cooler, EVGA Z97 FTW Board, Kingston Fury 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram, EVGA GTX 980 TI SC+ ACX GPU, Corsair Air 540 Case w/ 3x120MM & 3x140MM Cougar Red LED Fans, EVGA G1 650W 80+ Gold PSU, Crucial MX100 512GB SSD, Samsung UD590 4k 60Hz Monitor

I quoted you directly.. But sure, why not, disagree..somehow?

No it doesn't. Unlike wired network, wireless late has a spectrum and has a much lower capacity c ap. About 1/250th of copper/fiber line.

Intel Core I7-4790K 4.5GHz 1.225V, NZXT Kraken x60 AIO Cooler, EVGA Z97 FTW Board, Kingston Fury 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram, EVGA GTX 980 TI SC+ ACX GPU, Corsair Air 540 Case w/ 3x120MM & 3x140MM Cougar Red LED Fans, EVGA G1 650W 80+ Gold PSU, Crucial MX100 512GB SSD, Samsung UD590 4k 60Hz Monitor