Ghetto Shield Disapproval

The Johnny and Billy build scenarios were awesome.   Now I want to see these in the build logs please.  :D

I'd actually do the ghetto shield.  I already have everything I'd need to make it work, so why not?  I'm all about being ghetto.

I didn't read this much even when i was in English 101 in University ._.

Go on YouTube and look for videos on hooking up a gamepad to a controller. You can map certain areas of the screen to a certain button, so in a sense the ghetto shield may work better than the real thing. For streaming to the PC one can use mini HDMI. For portability someone could use a slide in design for the thing that holds the phone which could be removed, making it more portable.  For cost, its actually cheaper for a owner of a highend smartphone to just pick up a 40$ gamepad. I hope this clears thi8s up for you :)

PC in Profile

To jump to the conclusion of this post, I disapprove of the "Ghetto Shield".

Now, onto my reasons.  I feel that this project makes a mockery of the new nVidia Shield. 

You should of stopped there.

The Shield is a mockery of gaming.

First, there was lame held hand games like Coleco (look it up) then it moved on to a more minimalist format like GameBoy, now its back to ridiculousness of a console game controller with what essentially is a smart phone screen and CPU.

Really? Is this a super improvement on portable gaming?

Ghetto Shield as far as I'm concerned better than spending money on a mockery of portable gaming console, aka Shield. There are plenty of smart phone add-on's to make it a game console already, don't see the need to buy a actual device that looks like something you'd buy at a flee market.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

You should of stopped there.

The Shield is a mockery of gaming.

First, there was lame held hand games like Coleco (look it up) then it moved on to a more minimalist format like GameBoy, now its back to ridiculousness of a console game controller with what essentially is a smart phone screen and CPU.

Really? Is this a super improvement on portable gaming?

Ghetto Shield as far as I'm concerned better than spending money on a mockery of portable gaming console, aka Shield. There are plenty of smart phone add-on's to make it a game console already, don't see the need to buy a actual device that looks like something you'd buy at a flee market.

I am not sure what you mean by "ridiculousness of a console game controller".  It seems that you suggest that console game controllers are ridiculous.  I don't have any numbers of the popularity of console game controllers in the industry, but I am led to believe that they are quite popular.  Game consoles package these as a part of most SKUs.  Also, many third party controllers are sold, and they can also be purchased for other things like mobile phones and PCs.  I am going to have to assume you are not a fan of game controllers as a result.  Perhaps you play games like FPS and RTS on the PS mostly?  Maybe this is why you think that something you do not use often is "ridiculous"?

I am unsure of the claim about "super improvement".  I am not sure that this is revolutionary to portable gaming, but I would say that a gamepad probably feels better to play portable games over the tiny buttons of portable systems including the DS and PSVita.  I don't even think I claimed that the Shield was a super improvement, either.

The price of the Shield is indeed in question.  The way I see it, the gamepad alone is probably worth around $40 retail, which leaves $260 as a claim to everything else.  The question is then: Is $260 worth a screen (e.g. monitor), Tegra 4 processor, and a system with various I/O including SD, HDMI-out, and USB connectivity?  I am unsure if it's worth it.  I urged LTT to feel free to give the system "bad marks" if this was true.

Finally, after watching various reviews, I wouldn't claim this device to be " something you'd buy at a flee market".  The review I recall the most is Lew's review at Unbox Therapy.  Even though the review is a 30 FPS video on YouTube, the delay in the streaming still appears to be quite minimal, and it is certainly less latency than that of the Ghetto Shield.  Also, there was mention of the build quality being adequate.  I presume that the built-in support for the controller of the real shield, it can really push-forward the addition of gamepad support to Android games and mobile gaming in general.  It is my hope that it could change things in the industry and even force Apple to no longer mandate that iOS games must have touch-only support.

So yea, I pretty much accept your post as hostile ranting by a PC raging fanboy.  I would welcome your comments, however, if you've owned and played the device yourself, and have assessed why the nVidia Shield is detrimental to the industry.  For now, your comment is on the side of "OMFG device SUXORS and is TERRIBLE OMG I HATE IT >_<".

P.S. I am a PC fanboy, as I game with 2x GTX 680 in SLI, 32 GB of overkill amounts of RAM, 3820 at 4.9 GHz, 4x SSD in RAID-0, and a PB278Q where gaming at 2560x1440 occurs nightly.  I just don't see the justification of hating on the Shield unless it is threatening PC gaming as the consoles do (through resulting in terrible PC ports).

I am not sure what you mean by "ridiculousness of a console game controller".  It seems that you suggest that console game controllers are ridiculous.  I don't have any numbers of the popularity of console game controllers in the industry, but I am led to believe that they are quite popular.  Game consoles package these as a part of most SKUs.  Also, many third party controllers are sold, and they can also be purchased for other things like mobile phones and PCs.  I am going to have to assume you are not a fan of game controllers as a result.  Perhaps you play games like FPS and RTS on the PS mostly?  Maybe this is why you think that something you do not use often is "ridiculous"?

I'm a fan of tech that works or is sensible for its price. Hand held complete gaming systems have been hit and miss from its inception, always has more to do with the quality of the games than the devices themselves. Shield isn't much of an improvement on current or past portable gaming consoles, I may not own any of them but have used almost all of them at some point of their life-cycle, again all of their success has always relied on the games and so much less on the portable console features. Most included a ton of features that most users never ever used, like how many have included a charger for use in an automobile? Its a freaking portable gaming console! It should offer the wall plug as an option and include the auto plug by default, otherwise it should chuck the word portable in its description or feature set.  Most portable gaming consoles are mainly a way to pass the time on a trip or just waiting for something, that's why smart phones should just replace any such type of gaming device as you can add pretty much any game to it, sure some are not ideal due to the controller but who's going to spend the $200+ just for one game to be more useable?

The real audience (as far as growth is concerned) for these portable gaming consoles are kids (<16) and guess how many actually know about them? But how many know about the games they can add to a smart phone/kindle/iPad (aka smart devices)? The ease of access to a smart device is way more important, kids use parents smart devices for gaming way more than a separate dedicated portable gaming console that is basically a smart phone minus the phone. Please consult a kid near you.

Sure, some adults will buy Shield to play for a short duration but it will eventually be somewhere on the shelf for most of the time and be forgotten about it, shield provides no feature-set that is not already available today on some other device or combination of devices for less money. A console controller connected to a 4.3" screen is nothing to be excited about even if its 1080p or some super resolution, its still a 4.3" screen (insert Slick's weak "yeay" sound).

It be pretty funny if this guy works for nvidea

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

I'm a fan of tech that works or is sensible for its price. Hand held complete gaming systems have been hit and miss from its inception, always has more to do with the quality of the games than the devices themselves. Shield isn't much of an improvement on current or past portable gaming consoles, I may not own any of them but have used almost all of them at some point of their life-cycle, again all of their success has always relied on the games and so much less on the portable console features. Most included a ton of features that most users never ever used, like how many have included a charger for use in an automobile? Its a freaking portable gaming console! It should offer the wall plug as an option and include the auto plug by default, otherwise it should chuck the word portable in its description or feature set.  Most portable gaming consoles are mainly a way to pass the time on a trip or just waiting for something, that's why smart phones should just replace any such type of gaming device as you can add pretty much any game to it, sure some are not ideal due to the controller but who's going to spend the $200+ just for one game to be more useable?

The real audience (as far as growth is concerned) for these portable gaming consoles are kids (<16) and guess how many actually know about them? But how many know about the games they can add to a smart phone/kindle/iPad (aka smart devices)? The ease of access to a smart device is way more important, kids use parents smart devices for gaming way more than a separate dedicated portable gaming console that is basically a smart phone minus the phone. Please consult a kid near you.

Sure, some adults will buy Shield to play for a short duration but it will eventually be somewhere on the shelf for most of the time and be forgotten about it, shield provides no feature-set that is not already available today on some other device or combination of devices for less money. A console controller connected to a 4.3" screen is nothing to be excited about even if its 1080p or some super resolution, its still a 4.3" screen (insert Slick's weak "yeay" sound).

I like this reply much better since it offers some real valid points, especially the car charger and price point. :)

For me, I think this iteration of the Shield is probably going to be dubbed "the emulator enthusiast's handheld", since Android has a handful of emulators.  The gamepad is equivalent to the Xbox 360 controller and probably can be mapped to every existing console (except for the Jaguar's odd keypad addition).  I am not sure how well the Shield can emulate systems past the N64, but surely it can handle any classic console without any frame drops or stutter.

As for the age group, as you said about some adults, those are probably the ones who are emulating Super Mario World because those were the games of those people's childhoods.  I don't think there is a AAA title that has been created for the Android yet (let's say an equivalent to Assassin's Creed 3 or Uncharted game), so it is hard to compare PSVita and Shield games-wise.  And you are right in that it won't matter if the hardcore games are not there.

I didn't read the entire post you made but you clearly don't get the point of the ghetto shield. it was never intended to replace the shield it was to give the user an idea of how the shield would perform and if they liked the experience. I don't want to buy a shield that costs like 300$ and find out i don't like it why not build a cheap thing for 3$ that you can test and find out if you like it.

It's not a replacement for the Shield it is just for waiting till the Shield. 

Shield 2 or 3 where I can play PC games seamlessly on it without being beside an AC router is what I'm after.  I'd love to have a handheld out on the road.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Shield 2 or 3 where I can play PC games seamlessly on it without being beside an AC router is what I'm after.  I'd love to have a handheld out on the road.

You seriously think something like shield (which ever version) will play PC games seamlessly? Maybe long lost ex-PC games but never the current hot games.

I like this reply much better since it offers some real valid points, especially the car charger and price point. :)

For me, I think this iteration of the Shield is probably going to be dubbed "the emulator enthusiast's handheld", since Android has a handful of emulators.  The gamepad is equivalent to the Xbox 360 controller and probably can be mapped to every existing console (except for the Jaguar's odd keypad addition).  I am not sure how well the Shield can emulate systems past the N64, but surely it can handle any classic console without any frame drops or stutter.

As for the age group, as you said about some adults, those are probably the ones who are emulating Super Mario World because those were the games of those people's childhoods.  I don't think there is a AAA title that has been created for the Android yet (let's say an equivalent to Assassin's Creed 3 or Uncharted game), so it is hard to compare PSVita and Shield games-wise.  And you are right in that it won't matter if the hardcore games are not there.

Come on who's going to play a AAA title on a 4.3" screen? As it is people are now on 24" or greater monitors if not 3 monitors of that size and now a 4.3" screen is going to be a game changer? Never. Shield will be a console for those titles one can play when you're waiting for a flight or you are on a flight and you've already watched the movies they have, simple games that can be played on a Tegra processor. Just look at the crown here on LTT, everyone wants the latest top CPU and now someone is going to talk them into using a Tegra processor with a 4.3" screen to run the games they are running seamlessly on their i7's or over clocked i5's with a dedicated latest edition GPU with a 3 monitor setup? How? Where is the kool aid to get them to buy it?

Come on who's going to play a AAA title on a 4.3" screen? As it is people are now on 24" or greater monitors if not 3 monitors of that size and now a 4.3" screen is going to be a game changer? Never. Shield will be a console for those titles one can play when you're waiting for a flight or you are on a flight and you've already watched the movies they have, simple games that can be played on a Tegra processor. Just look at the crown here on LTT, everyone wants the latest top CPU and now someone is going to talk them into using a Tegra processor with a 4.3" screen to run the games they are running seamlessly on their i7's or over clocked i5's with a dedicated latest edition GPU with a 3 monitor setup? How? Where is the kool aid to get them to buy it?

Who? Not me, like I said, I already achieved a 27" screen at 2560x1440. :)

Now let me ask you, which is a greater number: people with mid-range to high-end Android phones and iPhones, or PC gamers with 2x GTX 680's.  I know, that is much too narrow, because we can get an acceptable experience of Crysis 3 on a 660 Ti.  So, I'll include even mid-range PC's.

With that inclusion, still, which number is greater? Number of Android + iPhones vs. gaming PC's?  I am not being facetious, I truly don't know the number myself.  I get a sense however, that not only there are more Android + iPhones out there capable of playing 3D games now, but in quantities that are magnitudes larger.

To more directly answer your question now, "Come on who's going to play a AAA title on a 4.3" screen?": Many.  Over the next 5 years? Many more.

"Where's the kool aid?" None needed.  The mammoth number of devices will drive developers/publishers towards Android and iPhone.  I didn't make it this way--it's just how the way things are.  I am from the camp that is appalled that GTA 5 is not being launched on PC first.  But here we are in the same boat: more consoles vs. hardcore PC gamers = more games on consoles first, and more attention.  Same applies for the next 5 years for mobile evolution.

Keep in mind that about 4 years ago, we had iPhone 3GS with just 256 MB of system memory.  Today we see no less than 2GB.  4 years from now? 8-16 GB easy, though I will estimate 8 GB because of the savings the manufacturers will start wanting.  4 years before 2009? Nokia 8800 with 64 MB of RAM.

If you or anyone thinks that the Android console will die, think again.  Even gaming itself had a first game, which was the unexciting Pong.  Today we have Metro 2033, Crysis 3, and BF4.

Current controller based console ports aren't very demanding.  There's no reason I shouldn't be able to play a LOT of games.

You seriously think something like shield (which ever version) will play PC games seamlessly? Maybe long lost ex-PC games but never the current hot games.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers