Can you overclock the Pentium G3258 to 4.5ghz on a stock cooler?

Go to solution Solved by FuzzyYellow,

don't listen to them I own a G3258, and it ran it at 4.4Ghz @1.25v on the stock cooler with max load temps around 80C. the G3258 is only a dual core, so it doesn't pt out nearly as much heat as the i5s and i7s do.

Just cs:go and lower end games tbh I'm not really a fan of BF4 or Crysis

it should be fine if you use a lower bitrate (less than 3000) and Quicksync. I can stream Insurgency just fine and it uses the same engine as CSGO.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

4.426Mhz is average overclock on air. half of them are lower than that.

what do you want now? i only look at benchmarks, i dont deal with hypothetical jibberish

buying pentium to overclock in on stock cooler is lottery

yes, you can reach 4.4... if you apply volts and put cooler on it.

have of them are lower than that because half of people overclocking don't take the time to overclocked right. nearly every G3258 can reach 4.4 when pushed.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

have of them are lower than that because half of people overclocking don't take the time to overclocked right. nearly every G3258 can reach 4.4 when pushed.

no problem, even at stock pentium can deal with games that dont require quad cores, so its cool now

you can run it at stock for cs go and stuff, better than have 4.4 ghz hairdryer :D

Some reviewers did. I personally got 4.5GHz @ 1.285V which is a tad too high for the stock cooler, but if you buy a board that is voltage locked to 1.2V like most H81s it doesn't matter anyway.

This is why the G3258 is bad. Not because it cannot play games, but because IT WILL STUTTER AND LAG.

We can test for this by looking at Frame Timing. Frame Timing is basically the consistency of your framerate... If you got bad frame timing, even a average FPS of 60-100 will look choppy, because frames are dropped or dips to a very very low framerate.

Here are some tests showing the G3258 in action and WHY it is a ABSOLUTELY SHIT CPU FOR GAMING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu2Io0NhYxU

Look at how the frame timing, and thus FPS, is fluctuating all over the place...

It is not STABLE...

Sure, some of you may think it doesnt matter... well, the video is always played back at a fixed framerate, so only really bad lags or stutters will show in a video... However to the end user, these microstutters, especially if you turn around fast, or things happen really quickly, will be CLEARLY visible to the one looking at the screen...

Buy i3 or go home, the difference between just having hyper threading and NOT having hyper-threading is fucking day and night, several of these videos prove just that.

I think you're missing the point.. for £50 it's performing just as well as an i7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlS5Q7tEJI also why spend more for a tiny amount of improvement in fps. The Pentium probably has the best price to performance ratio throughout the whole of Intel CPU's

I think you're missing the point.. for £50 it's performing just as well as an i7 

also why spend more for a tiny amount of improvement in fps. The Pentium probably has the best price to performance ratio throughout the whole of Intel CPU's

In that video, the 750Ti is the bottleneck. It proves noting.

Put a bigger GPU, like in the videos i posted, and you see how things play out.

hell, even with the 750Ti being a massive bottleneck the G3258 STILL fluctuates in games. fucking great eh? It cannot even power one of the lowest end "modern" GPU on the market without having unstable FPS.

The Pentium has the WORST performance to price ratio, the winner of that is the i3 41xx. Why? because it can deliver BETTER, SMOOTHER AND MORE OFTEN HIGHER FPS, AT BARELY ANY HIGHER PRICE.

In many games, the rock stock 3.4-3.6GHz i3s can keep up with 3.5GHz i5s and 4.8GHz G3258s...

In that video, the 750Ti is the bottleneck. It proves noting.

Put a bigger GPU, like in the videos i posted, and you see how things play out.

hell, even with the 750Ti being a massive bottleneck the G3258 STILL fluctuates in games. fucking great eh? It cannot even power one of the lowest end "modern" GPU on the market without having unstable FPS.

The Pentium has the WORST performance to price ratio, the winner of that is the i3 41xx. Why? because it can deliver BETTER, SMOOTHER AND MORE OFTEN HIGHER FPS, AT BARELY ANY HIGHER PRICE.

In many games, the rock stock 3.4-3.6GHz i3s can keep up with 3.5GHz i5s and 4.8GHz G3258s...

Yeah, pretty much. I don't see a reason for getting the pentium over an X4 860k or i3. PCper did a decent article comparing quad cores(i3s included).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QFjAAahUKEwig6rykkczHAhVHrB4KHVsJDYE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcper.com%2Freviews%2FSystems%2FQuad-Core-Gaming-Roundup-How-Much-CPU-Do-You-Really-Need&ei=5YPgVeDjCMfYetuStIgI&usg=AFQjCNGfPP9VBD8Dgi56JquFp802Udlj7Q&sig2=LKIdwydRrLOmtzFGIxRYCA

exactly...

people need to get the fuck off their intel horses and face reality... clockspeeds hardly matters these days... If clock speed was all that mattered, then the 8core FX 9590 would wipe the effin floor with every CPU on the market. But reality called and told me to tell these intel fanboys that 5GHz, while amazing, wont neccessarily make you better.

exactly...

people need to get the fuck off their intel horses and face reality... clockspeeds hardly matters these days... If clock speed was all that mattered, then the 8core FX 9590 would wipe the effin floor with every CPU on the market. But reality called and told me to tell these intel fanboys that 5GHz, while amazing, wont neccessarily make you better.

I clearly stated twice that I have £100 to spend on a Mobo, Case, Cpu

Edit - if there is a better CPU,Case and Mobo than a Pentium G3258, MSI H88-E35 v2 and a fractal core 1300 could you list them? Thanks :P

I had my G3258 at 4.4 GHz on the stock cooler at 1.18V. Gaming temps were in the low 60s, with Prime95 temps in the low 80s. 

Just cs:go and lower end games tbh I'm not really a fan of BF4 or Crysis

What other lower end games are you looking at? For CS:GO an overclocked Pentium is perfect. But the G3258 even at 4.4 GHz really struggled with a lot of AAA games I played on it, even older stuff like Skyrim and Tomb Raider. Now for old Call of Duty games (MW3 and before) my G3258 ran them like a champ. Crysis 1 ran very well on it too. Any game designed for Core 2 Duo era CPUs runs great since the G3258 is by far the best straight dual core CPU ever made. For games that recommend quadcores it's usually not very good (other than Bioshock Infinite, which ran flawlessly on my Pentium even at 3.2 GHz), but for games that recommend dual cores it's outstanding.

What other lower end games are you looking at? For CS:GO an overclocked Pentium is perfect. But the G3258 even at 4.4 GHz really struggled with a lot of AAA games I played on it, even older stuff like Skyrim and Tomb Raider. Now for old Call of Duty games (MW3 and before) my G3258 ran them like a champ. Crysis 1 ran very well on it too. Any game designed for Core 2 Duo era CPUs runs great since the G3258 is by far the best straight dual core CPU ever made. For games that recommend quadcores it's usually not very good (other than Bioshock Infinite, which ran flawlessly on my Pentium even at 3.2 GHz), but for games that recommend dual cores it's outstanding.

Just generally Source games and most of the popular steam games, but I have just read up that an X4 860k is much more reliable for nearly all games compared to the g3258 but has a slight decrease in fps (like 2-5 fps)