Can you overclock the Pentium G3258 to 4.5ghz on a stock cooler?

Go to solution Solved by FuzzyYellow,

don't listen to them I own a G3258, and it ran it at 4.4Ghz @1.25v on the stock cooler with max load temps around 80C. the G3258 is only a dual core, so it doesn't pt out nearly as much heat as the i5s and i7s do.

don't listen to them I own a G3258, and it ran it at 4.4Ghz @1.25v on the stock cooler with max load temps around 80C. the G3258 is only a dual core, so it doesn't pt out nearly as much heat as the i5s and i7s do.

dont listen to this guy, if you play silicon lottery, you are dum

buy i3, its like pentium at 5ghz :D

Just please, keep in mind it's a dual core CPU without Hyperthreading. This means that MULTITHREADED TASKS RUN LIKE SHIT.

You can really really really notice it in for example the battlefield franchise and video-playback (twitch + spotify + chrome for instance)

it would be an unlocked i3. :P

Id still want that lol :P would be cool and fun

Consume The Darkness

Dude 4,4ghz is easy! Don't say things you don't know

Just please, keep in mind it's a dual core CPU without Hyperthreading. This means that MULTITHREADED TASKS RUN LIKE SHIT.

You can really really really notice it in for example the battlefield franchise and video-playback (twitch + spotify + chrome for instance)

Yeah true would the pentium be good for recording/streaming?

Well yah, its ment to be just for games and cheap over clockers. In game youll be hard pressed to notice much of a difference between it and like an i3 or something. But for like video editing of course it wont be that good at all. 

Consume The Darkness

have you ever used the G3258?

and 4.4Ghz is not a silicon lottery chip. pretty much every chip out there can hit 4.4. the i3 is better than the G3258, but it's also 2x the price.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

it depends on what game. it also has the iGPU which you can use for encoding. I find that works really well. 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

it depends on what game. it also has the iGPU which you can use for encoding. I find that works really well. 

Just cs:go and lower end games tbh I'm not really a fan of BF4 or Crysis

ehhhhh... Over clocking it would get you slightly better results. But for that id save some more money and get an i5 if thats what your doing.

Consume The Darkness

Well yah, its ment to be just for games and cheap over clockers. In game youll be hard pressed to notice much of a difference between it and like an i3 or something. But for like video editing of course it wont be that good at all. 

Well, any game that uses more than 2 cores will run like shit on the pentium. 

Just cs:go and lower end games tbh I'm not really a fan of BF4 or Crysis

Yeah, its fine for games like that.

and 4.4Ghz is not a silicon lottery chip. pretty much every chip out there can hit 4.4. the i3 is better than the G3258, but it's also 2x the price.

Mine beets out i3s all the time, even in AAA games easy :P

I call it the little chip that could :D

Consume The Darkness

Well, any game that uses more than 2 cores will run like shit on the pentium. 

Yeah, its fine for games like that.

Most games dont at this time tho. The only ones i can think of is DA:I and FC4

Consume The Darkness

Most games dont at this time tho. The only ones i can think of is DA:I and FC4

you are better of buying used cpu, i3 haswell preffered

look at that minimum fps. clear bottleneck. at  4.5 Ghz...

gtav_n_cpu2.png

i know what silicon lottery is :)

another guy crying cant do 4.2 on evo.

This is why the G3258 is bad. Not because it cannot play games, but because IT WILL STUTTER AND LAG.

We can test for this by looking at Frame Timing. Frame Timing is basically the consistency of your framerate... If you got bad frame timing, even a average FPS of 60-100 will look choppy, because frames are dropped or dips to a very very low framerate.

Here are some tests showing the G3258 in action and WHY it is a ABSOLUTELY SHIT CPU FOR GAMING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu2Io0NhYxU

Look at how the frame timing, and thus FPS, is fluctuating all over the place...

It is not STABLE...

Sure, some of you may think it doesnt matter... well, the video is always played back at a fixed framerate, so only really bad lags or stutters will show in a video... However to the end user, these microstutters, especially if you turn around fast, or things happen really quickly, will be CLEARLY visible to the one looking at the screen...

Buy i3 or go home, the difference between just having hyper threading and NOT having hyper-threading is fucking day and night, several of these videos prove just that.

4.426Mhz is average overclock on air. half of them are lower than that.

what do you want now? i only look at benchmarks, i dont deal with hypothetical jibberish

buying pentium to overclock in on stock cooler is lottery

yes, you can reach 4.4... if you apply volts and put cooler on it.

Have you seen what the G3258 at 4.7 Ghz can do?

It can barely match a stock clocked i3...

Face it, the Pentium is only good as a temporary or backup CPU.

How can you say that after it clearly gets over 60fps or very close in a bunch of benchmarks you show? If they are the games that you are hoping to play and you aren't using a high refresh rate display then the Pentiums is a very good budget CPU. I would hope the i3 is better, it's about double the price, but for some people the Pentium is all they need.

Obviously a £50 CPU won't be the best at everything, but you guys are really adamant about ignoring the cost to performance ratio that would be the only reason to choose a CPU of this tier.

Lol bare in mind I clearly said I had £100 to spend on a mobo case and cpu and only will play csgo and lower end games I really don't like bf4 or AAA games

How can you say that after it clearly gets over 60fps or very close in a bunch of benchmarks you show? If they are the games that you are hoping to play and you aren't using a high refresh rate display then the Pentiums is a very good budget CPU. I would hope the i3 is better, it's about double the price, but for some people the Pentium is all they need.

Obviously a £50 CPU won't be the best at everything, but you guys are really adamant about ignoring the cost to performance ratio that would be the only reason to choose a CPU of this tier.

Exactly atleast you realised that it's cheap and not £150 for an i5

Lol bare in mind I clearly said I had £100 to spend on a mobo case and cpu and only will play csgo and lower end games I really don't like bf4 or AAA games

So an X4 860K is out of the question?