GTX TITAN 6GB vs GTX 970

3570tech

So i have the opertunity to buy the " original" titan 6gb from 2013, for about the same price as a brand new 970 ( thinking about the msi 100me) but i was wondering about which is the best overall card for gaming and daily use? Is the 3,5 gig problem something to worry about. I need a futureproof pc.

I am going to use a 6700k in the new build. I game alot of games, but not a hardcore gamer.

The 970 beats the Titan in gaming, the Titan is around 780 performance and is pointless for gaming.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

I'd go for the Titan tbh. But with the 970 you could SLI in the future.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I own a 970, and i have to say, the card is an absolute jewel. My EVGA was is rated at around 1100 MHZ but throttles all the way up to 1400! As for the VRAM issue, I have never had much of an issue with that. Linus Did a video on it, and If i recall, by the time you actually need that extra .5GB you are already pushing the card hard enough to suffer a framerate drop. Ill say this, I can run witcher 3 on ultra with hairworks on at around 40 FPS, 60 if i turn off hairworks and a few other things.

I'd go for the Titan tbh. But with the 970 you could SLI in the future.

For gaming? I'm sorry but you can't know anything about gpus if you think a titan beats a 970.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

The 970 beats the Titan in gaming, the Titan is around 780 performance and is pointless for gaming.

Do you have a 970?

For gaming? I'm sorry but you can't know anything about gpus if you think a titan beats a 970.

For the same price i'd get it simply for the vram over the 970. 

But i never said that it beat, i simply stated what my preference was. And the performance difference in gaming between them @1080p isn't that much tbh.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1355?vs=1060

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

The original titan is what he's talking about I think.

The 780 and 970 are similar in performance, 970 is a bit faster. But the Titan is about 10% faster than a 780, so I'd say it's probably pretty close in terms of performance for Titan vs 970.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Do you have a 970?

Look At my signature.

Nice. Happy with the MSI? No coil whine or anything?

The original Titan and 970 are about even. They're both slightly faster than a 780. The 970 might beat the Titan slightly if you factor in overclocking since it does overclock a bit better than the Titan, but they're roughly even on the whole.

But it having 2,5 more vram must have something to say, hasnt it?!

Nice. Happy with the MSI? No coil whine or anything?

I think the majority if not all 970s have coil whine but it's only on games that get stupid fps like over 1k like in the far cry 4 menu, my 970 has it but only very very slightly and not noticeable unless you shove your ear Infront of it, but yes I'm very happy with it, 1560mhz is the best it's gone interms of ocing.

But it having 2,5 more vram must have something to say, hasnt it?!

You mean 2gb, the 970 has 4gb.

The last 500mb run in slowmo speed and cant be used properly

The original Titan and 970 are about even. They're both slightly faster than a 780. The 970 might beat the Titan slightly if you factor in overclocking since it does overclock a bit better than the Titan, but they're roughly even on the whole.

Just checked and you seem to be right, last time I checked though the 780 was better and obviously cost a lot less back then.

The last 500mb run in slowmo speed and cant be used properly

I've used over 3.5gb with no problem, don't listen to all these people trying to cause arguments over it, they see 1fps less and assume it's slower , what do fbey expect, it's a lot of vram usage.

It has been scientificly proven that the last 500mb runs at slower speeds. And nvidia did lie about the ROPs and l2 cache

I own a 970, and i have to say, the card is an absolute jewel. My EVGA was is rated at around 1100 MHZ but throttles all the way up to 1400! As for the VRAM issue, I have never had much of an issue with that. Linus Did a video on it, and If i recall, by the time you actually need that extra .5GB you are already pushing the card hard enough to suffer a framerate drop. Ill say this, I can run witcher 3 on ultra with hairworks on at around 40 FPS, 60 if i turn off hairworks and a few other things.

Lol, jewel, then WTF is a 980Ti?

Also OP, go with R9 390, I thought this was common sense by now, lol.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Are you using a 1080 or 1440 monitor?

Are you using a 1080 or 1440 monitor?

1080p and how can something be scientifically proven if it has nothing to do with science xD it's been proven by benchmarks, I've used 4gb before and no problem,

I think you're thinking of the 780 Ti.

Nope.