should i fold on my school 2 in 1?

Guest Johnny5g

might as well

wish i could on my school laptop but they have windows 8.1 and are locked down to hell and back

But I can get into a somewhat-locked-down BIOS.

hum

Most (if not all) schools tend to have an acceptable use policy or a computer/technology policy you must abide to.

Also read F@H policy FAQ here: https://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-policies/

Run Folding@home only on computers that you own, or for which you have obtained the owner’s permission. Some companies and schools have policies that prohibit using their computers for projects such as Folding@home.

Might piss off the school depending on how stringent they are, last thing you need is to be put on probationary status. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I voted No

But fold at your own risk, schools and businesses alike don't like their equipment having unauthorized software installed or used for things other than its main purpose for having it.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I voted No

But fold at your own risk, schools and businesses alike don't like their equipment having unauthorized software installed or used for things other than its main purpose for having it.

ok thanks!

I really WOULD like to know the answer to this question. While the PPD will be utter sheista, would it actually DAMAGE the device per se, by simply running a folding client using 1 out of the two cores on a dual core Atom CPU, such as in the ASUS Transformerbook T100?

I think I might just plug it into AC outlet and let it run, if it will not explicitly destroy the CPU. B)

This is the Craft of PC Building. Mastered. #AshlarPC

I really WOULD like to know the answer to this question. While the PPD will be utter sheista, would it actually DAMAGE the device per se, by simply running a folding client using 1 out of the two cores on a dual core Atom CPU, such as in the ASUS Transformerbook T100?

I think I might just plug it into AC outlet and let it run, if it will not explicitly destroy the CPU. B)

I fold on my school laptop but I have to fold at medium or it gets so hot it turns of. our laptops are 5 years old and are getting replaced this year so I figure I might as well run it into the ground

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

I fold on my school laptop but I have to fold at medium or it gets so hot it turns of. our laptops are 5 years old and are getting replaced this year so I figure I might as well run it into the ground

My T100 has been running at full (Atom's 4/4 cores) for the last 2 hours without any sort of error whatsoever. Open HW Monitor shows all 4 cores hovering around 28-30'C at near 100% usage. Yeah, it's only getting 1630 PPD, but it's still contributing to my total on LTT. looks like the average CPU WU will take me 13h to complete on it. That said, Long-term side effects of folding at this elevl on a tablet is yet to be seen. Sincerely hope this isn't inadvertently killing other components. (Not hot to the touch)

This is the Craft of PC Building. Mastered. #AshlarPC

Nope if you break the computer during abuse and installing other software i think you will have to pay for it. just use you're hardware ;) i have at my work 46 servers empty they are always tempting me to fold on it but it is my work i cannot do that even for 1 minute,

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

might as well

wish i could on my school laptop but they have windows 8.1 and are locked down to hell and back

But I can get into a somewhat-locked-down BIOS.

my school is pretty tight about that stuff too, but I can still run stuff like ultrasurf off a flash drive to get past their dumb restrictions

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

LTT Forum Beginners Guide

Why don't you use this as an opportunity for your Senior Project (if you have one)? You could have your computer science instructor as a mentor and work on setting up a network or finding a way to use the PCs at reduced power. You could calculate the power consumption vs cost, and work on optimizing the hardware for this.

my school is pretty tight about that stuff too, but I can still run stuff like ultrasurf off a flash drive to get past their dumb restrictions

last year i really didn't give a shit about our school laptop policies

so i found my way onto the administrator account and installed steam on it

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

last year i really didn't give a shit about our school laptop policies

so i found my way onto the administrator account and installed steam on it

lol cool

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

LTT Forum Beginners Guide