radeonsi gallium3d drivers outperforming catalyst on Linux

Gala

The open-source radeonsi gallium3d driver, with Alex Davy's si scheduler, is outperforming AMD's closed source proprietary fglrx and catalyst drivers.

A3O6yYE.png

As you can see, a 7950 with the si scheduler is on par with a GTX 960 in Metro: Last Light

owpRH2c.png

DiRT: Showdown shows similar results.

On the Tessaract, the 7950 outperforms the 980 Ti at 4k.

bQCJqgf.png

On Xonotic, both on Ultra and Ultimate, the 7950 is faster than the 980 Ti.

chWvto3.png

AWgijLH.png

https://archive.is/Xlnoa#selection-651.1-651.25

The opensource boys did it! They outperofmed both the closed source NVIDIA driver, and AMD's closed source catalyst drivers.

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

But what's the performance compared to Windows drivers?

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

WAT.

And I thought it was fantastic my 280 was performing so well with their drivers. ME WANT DRIVER. However I just managed to get AMD's danky 14.6 driver to work, so i can't test it. :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Can't compare those.  Windows used DirectX, Linux uses OpenGL instead.  DirectX (sadly) is the more efficient platform because that's what the devs develop for, so you can't do an apples to apples comparison.

That's because AMD drivers suck.

not...that great improvements to be honest. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

i'm more interested in what nvidia drivers they used, because i'm seeing some oddities in how the nvidia parts are performing.

I don't even think either company actually truly supports Linux anyway. By that I mean that the drivers get little love compared to Window drivers. (correct my if I'm wrong though).

I'm pretty sure this shows that at least someone can do something for AMD cards on Linux. I don't think Nvidia supports anything similar to this on Linux.

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2911459/why-nvidia-graphics-cards-are-the-worst-for-open-source-but-the-best-for-linux-gaming.html

I'm gonna wait for Vulkan, because that'll be the real game changer on Linux.

Probably lower because most of the games are ported from windows directX to Linux OpenGL non-native implementation. And openGL drivers are very unpredictable, performance tends to be all over the place. Very complicated drivers. A lot of devs seem to think that openGL ecosystem is a mess.

Only with the new Vulkan API will Linux users finally get consistent performance at directX12 levels in AAA games. It's very similar to DX12.

Probably lower because most of the games are ported from windows directX to Linux OpenGL non-native implementation. And openGL drivers are very unpredictable, performance tends to be all over the place. Very complicated drivers. A lot of devs seem to think that openGL ecosystem is a mess.

Only with the new Vulkan API will Linux users finally get consistent performance at directX12 levels in AAA games. It's very similar to DX12.

HYPE

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

Why wasn't the 290 tested with that driver?

Hopefully just because they did it as a point of reference, but realistically they probably still can't get those open source driver to work on hawaii

-------

Current Rig

-------

Fantastic news. Hopefully both Nvidia and AMD will start to make decent Linux drivers.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

The only surprise here is that it took this long. Everyone knows nether company dedicates the resources needed to make Linux gaming great. The only Linux drivers that matter to them are for the enterprise markets.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The only surprise here is that it took this long. Everyone knows nether company dedicates the resources needed to make Linux gaming great.

I guess the fact that they use openGL means it's a lot of extra work for AMD/NVIDIA who consider it not worthwhile for the 1% market share. On windows only IDtech games use openGL. I guess the hope going forward is that

(1) Vulkan being so similar to DX12 means less extra effort required from GPU makers. Or ideally Vulkan becomes popular on windows too (Valve's goal)

(2) the new gen of APIs has a thinner driver layer and efficient utilization of GPU hardware will be more in the hands of the game dev and less in the driver

Let's wait until vulkan is ready, only then is Linux and gaming worth talking about. But it really will be worth it, Lord Gaben demands it.

The ignorance is real...

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

I don't even think either company actually truly supports Linux anyway. By that I mean that the drivers get little love compared to Window drivers. (correct my if I'm wrong though).

I'm pretty sure this shows that at least someone can do something for AMD cards on Linux. I don't think Nvidia supports anything similar to this on Linux.

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2911459/why-nvidia-graphics-cards-are-the-worst-for-open-source-but-the-best-for-linux-gaming.html

Yup. We are in the chicken/egg scenario with Linux, except in this case users/software makers.

Yup. We are in the chicken/egg scenario with Linux, except in this case users/software makers.

Chicken/egg isn't even a problem anymore. If a system of evolution governs all life, the egg came first as a mutation of the parent specie. If Creationism or Intelligent design are right, the chicken came first.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd