Uses for a (not so old) AMD card? (Answered)

I'm going to upgrade my GPU from an HD 6870 to a new one, and I'm wondering if there's any use (besides selling it or saving it for another computer build) in keeping the 6870 in my system? This new card is not Crossfire compatible with the new one as the new one is an R9.

I know for NVIDIA cards you can use a seperate card for dedicated PhysX; is there anything like that for AMD?

Bonus question: Would it be possible to dedicate it to rendering Movie Studio 13 videos, like dedicated PhysX?

Thanks in advance.

Folding@home

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

HTPC, Ghetto Build, Folding, etc;

I'm going to upgrade my GPU from an HD 6870 to a new one, and I'm wondering if there's any use (besides selling it or saving it for another computer build) in keeping the 6870 in my system? This new card is not Crossfire compatible with the new one as the new one is an R9.

I know for NVIDIA cards you can use a seperate card for dedicated PhysX; is there anything like that for AMD?

Bonus question: Would it be possible to dedicate it to rendering Movie Studio 13 videos, like dedicated PhysX?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a home server? Do you have any interest in building one?

AMD cards are famous for being compatible with VMWare's GPU Passthrough. You could create a virtual desktop that has a physical video card which can output to real displays.

See https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Multi-headed-VMWare-Gaming-Setup-564/

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Thanks in advance.

Sell it or keep as spare., build a cheap pc for someone.

Not a real use for it in your upgraded PC, no PhysX like things for AMD..

Not sure about the rendering.

You could use it in a LAN PC or whatever, give it to a friend, give it to me  :ph34r: or sell it online

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It would make a good coaster.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

build a htpc with it

HTPC, Ghetto Build, Folding, etc;

I don't really need a HTPC - I have an old laptop hooked up to my TV I use it for.

Not 100% sure if Movie Studio 13 supports OpenCL rendering. If it does, d0 it.

I love your signature! xD

Folding@home

Folding@Home of course!

Is it possible to select the 6870 specifically, and have it use only that?

I wouldn't mind if it needed a little bit of the rest of my system, but if it completely hogged it....

Do you have a home server? Do you have any interest in building one?

AMD cards are famous for being compatible with VMWare's GPU Passthrough. You could create a virtual desktop that has a physical video card which can output to real displays.

See https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Multi-headed-VMWare-Gaming-Setup-564/

I do not currently have a home server, but I don't have a huge need for one, unless I'm missing a key feature of having one.

The virtual desktop idea caught my attention. While I don't know if I need it for gaming, I could use it for other things. Thank you for the link! :D

Sell it or keep as spare., build a cheap pc for someone.

I may do that, if a need arises.

Not a real use for it in your upgraded PC, no PhysX like things for AMD..

Not sure about the rendering.

You could use it in a LAN PC or whatever, give it to a friend, give it to me  :ph34r: or sell it online

Would I be able to come visit it, if I give it to you? :(

It would make a good coaster.

"Oh crap I forgot to unplug it."

Thank you everyone for your replies! All your replies gave me some good ideas, thank you very much! :D