Upgrading To GTX 970 Worth It?

Grem0

Hey all,

Just another thing I wanted to ask.

At the moment I have a GTX 760 4GB Superclocked which is getting old now (always crashing and random glitches in textures etc) 

I have tried everything to fix it but nothing worked and on top of that i have had it for 2 years 

I am thinking of a GTX 970 but will i see a difference 

Thanks in advance

Well what's the rest of your specs? The question is DO YOU feel you need an upgrade? Do you feel it would worth it? Myself personally yeah it would.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Hey all,

At the moment I have a GTX 760 4GB Superclocked which is getting old now (always crashing and random glitches in textures etc) 

I have tried everything to fix it but nothing worked and on top of that i have had it for 2 years 

Thanks in advance

If you feel the need to upgrade, get the Radeon R9 390. It's better than the GTX 970 and costs about the same.

Also, make sure your CPU won't bottleneck it

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

If you feel the need to upgrade, get the Radeon R9 390. It's better than the GTX 970 and costs about the same.

Also, make sure your CPU won't bottleneck it

there is a different use for the r9 390 as maybe he has a small case with little airflow or small wattage psu

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

Hey all,

Thanks in advance

Is it worth it? Depends on the rest of your specs but i upgraded from a GTX 760 OEM (a worse version of the regular 760) to a 970 and i got some extreme performance increases so yes as long as the rest of your components dont bottleneck it its a great step up. You also get a free copy of Metal Gear Solid The Phantom Pain when you purchase a GTX card atm.

there is a different use for the r9 390 as maybe he has a small case with little airflow or small wattage psu

I am a happy owner of a GTX 970. And I am telling you, the R9 390 is better. It might draw some more power and be 10 degrees hotter but it doesn't matter. It's a better card.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Hey all,

Thanks in advance

If the 760 is broke, RMA it and sell it then upgrade. ( or send me the borken card :P )

A R9 390 would be a great upgrade from a 760 ( about 30% more performance going from 7970 to 290, and your 760 is slower than my 7970 while my 290 is slower than the 390 )

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

I am a happy owner of a GTX 970. And I am telling you, the R9 390 is better. It might draw some more power and be 10 degrees hotter but it doesn't matter. It's a better card.

first off in a small case it can be much more hot also it is a physically bigger card and like i said look up the wattage if he has a big enough psu then great but unless he has a 600+ watt psu it probably isnt a good idea

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

Have you owned or do own a 390?

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

Have you owned or do own a 390?

No, I do have a buddy that does though cause I told him to get it, it's a very good card for the money, over twice as much VRAM, and better raw performance than the 970, under DX11 they perform about the same cause Nvidia put a lot of resources for DX11 drivers however, under DX12 the R9 390 will win quite heavily, considering they both cost the same, I recommend the 390

No, I do have a buddy that does though cause I told him to get it, it's a very good card for the money, over twice as much VRAM, and better raw performance than the 970, under DX11 they perform about the same cause Nvidia put a lot of resources for DX11 drivers however, under DX12 the R9 390 will win quite heavily, considering they both cost the same, I recommend the 390

Twice the vram is pointless for this card. You are gonna run short on core power before you reach anywhere near the 8 gb. That raw performance is just wrong. At 1080p they perform the SAME. Even at 1440p and 4K jayz benchmarks had them performing nearly the same. As for DirectX12 performance as many others have said it is WAY too early and one game benchmark isn't enough to prove a point entirely.

Still I recommend either one depending on what case you have, cooling and other factors such as software and pricing at the time (specials and MIR's).

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

It's clocked to give it a slight edge out of the box but the 970 usually overclocks better. How can you say anything about Directx 12 performance? There are literally no games that use it yet. Future performance may differ, but everything we have to go on right now say that these cards are basically the same.

The performance difference between an R9 390 and a GTX 970 is always going to be minimal; they are after all cards that fall in the same price bracket and were designed to compete directly with one another. Rather than looking at that minimal difference, I'd personally look at the more tangible differences in support, including driver updates and the level of optimisation in games (the ones that you play) for either Team Red or Team Green, and then make a decision based on that.

Realistically though, you can't go wrong with a 970.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

It'd be a worthy upgrade to me, someone coming off a 760 them self, saw a nice performance increase in most games.

PC Specs: 

CPU: i7-9700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite | RAM: 16GB's Team T-Force Vulcan 3000MHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition  | Storage: 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Crucial BX200 240GB SSD | OS: Windows 10 64-bit  | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition's, HD 598 Cs | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire XT MX Blues Monitors: Acer GN246HL 144Hz, Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

I went from the ASUS gtx 760 to the ASUS gtx 970. It was well worth it.

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

yup. the only downside is that you will need a high wattage PSU, or a very good 600w psu. 

if you live in tropical, Asian countries, you will FEEL the temps creeping up (trust me, I know. had a 280x once and it turned my room into a sauna)

It's clocked to give it a slight edge out of the box but the 970 usually overclocks better. How can you say anything about Directx 12 performance? There are literally no games that use it yet. Future performance may differ, but everything we have to go on right now say that these cards are basically the same.

How do I put this... The R9 390 is a better card in terms of raw computing power, it's just stronger. GTX970 performs about the same under DX11 cause of its great drivers that Nvidia put lots of resources into, however the DX12 is specifically made for getting as much performance out off a GPU as possible, and the R9 390 can provide more of that.

How do I put this... The R9 390 is a better card in terms of raw computing power, it's just stronger. GTX970 performs about the same under DX11 cause of its great drivers that Nvidia put lots of resources into, however the DX12 is specifically made for getting as much performance out off a GPU as possible, and the R9 390 can provide more of that.

How do I put this... you are assuming all of this based on zero information whatsoever. We have one directx 12 benchmark and that is being called unrepresentative by Nvidia and has shown literally none of the features advertised by Microsoft which only corroborates Nvidia's claim. We have no idea what Directx is going to mean for either of these cards in the real world.

How do I put this... you are assuming all of this based on zero information whatsoever.

Don't believe me? Fine. I don't really care, you'll see I was right soon enough ^^

Don't believe me? Fine. I don't really care, you'll see I was right soon enough ^^

It's not a question of believing you. I believe that you believe it. It's just that you're basing this opinion on rumour and the fucking phase of the moon. We have no idea what Directx 12 is going to mean in actual real games.

It's not a question of believing you. I believe that you believe it. It's just that you're basing this opinion on rumour and the fucking phase of the moon. We have no idea what Directx 12 is going to mean in actual real games.

Well, I'll explain why I believe it: I compared specs of both cards, and the R9 390 wins in everything besides clock speeds. Not taking into consideration the power usage and heat output, I'm talking performance here. Game benchmarks: The R9 390 goes equal or slightly better in most cases under current DX11. DirectX12: It is said to rely more on GPU and get as much as possible out of it, and lower the CPU overhead. Logically assuming, the R9 390 if it has better specifications will be better. Also 3,5GB vs 8GB of VRAM is always nice for the same price. Even if it wasn't better but equal it's still worth getting over the 970 due to the VRAM for the equal price in my opinion

Well, I'll explain why I believe it: I compared specs of both cards, and the R9 390 wins in everything besides clock speeds. Not taking into consideration the power usage and heat output, I'm talking performance here. Game benchmarks: The R9 390 goes equal or slightly better in most cases under current DX11. DirectX12: It is said to rely more on GPU and get as much as possible out of it, and lower the CPU overhead. Logically assuming, the R9 390 if it has better specifications will be better. Also 3,5GB vs 8GB of VRAM is always nice for the same price. Even if it wasn't better but equal it's still worth getting over the 970 due to the VRAM for the equal price in my opinion

Firstly the vram is a complete red herring. Not only does the 970 have 4GB of usable vram, not 3.5, even at 4K it's uncommon to use more than 3.6 GB. No one should ever buy a card just because it has 8GB, not until 4K surround and 8K are a thing.

Secondly, you're comparing compute performance with CUDA performance and expecting this to translate directly into games. In which case Kepler should heavily outperform Maxwell too. Yeah good luck with that one.

You are making naïve "logical" leaps without understanding the technology you're talking about.

It'll give you a pretty big increase. Be it the 970 or 390. And I don't get the squabble about overclocking. We've seen the benchmarks, and a 1600mhz 970 will have very similar performance of a 1200mhz 390. And all of us knows that typical 970 overclocks are around 1500mhz and the 390 is anywhere from 1140mhz. 

yup. the only downside is that you will need a high wattage PSU, or a very good 600w psu. 

if you live in tropical, Asian countries, you will FEEL the temps creeping up (trust me, I know. had a 280x once and it turned my room into a sauna)

And this is where I disagree with you. Firstly you don't need a high wattage PSU. But you need a good one, not necessarily a 600w one. A 550w Golden green or Leadex unit will be able to do it. And of course whether or not your room turns into a sauna will depend on your room. I have a 280x, live in a tropical country and no my room does not turn into a sauna.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Firstly the vram is a complete red herring. Not only does the 970 have 4GB of usable vram, not 3.5, even at 4K it's uncommon to use more than 3.6 GB. No one should ever buy a card just because it has 8GB, not until 4K surround and 8K are a thing.

Secondly, you're comparing compute performance with CUDA performance and expecting this to translate directly into games. In which case Kepler should heavily outperform Maxwell. Yeah good luck with that one.

No, I'm comparing live split screen game benchmarks. Look at this video:

It clearly shows the superiority of the R9 390 even under DX11. At 8:10 there are benchmarks. The dude repeat every single of them 3 times to make sure the average is accurate. The R9 390 won very very hard.

No, I'm comparing live split screen game benchmarks. Look at this video:

It clearly shows the superiority of the R9 390 even under DX11. At 8:10 there are benchmarks. The dude repeat every single of them 3 times to make sure the average is accurate. The R9 390 won very very hard.

Did you even bother to look at the clock speeds he got out of those cards? He couldn't get his 970 stable beyond 1440 MHz, which is shite btw. Yes, a heavily overclocked 390 will beat a potato of a 970. That doesn't prove anything. It is evidence that they are very close -- the difference between a slight overclock and a massive overclock is enough to put one of them ahead.

I should probably just have a copy-paste of this every time someone without any critical analysis skills brings up this video. That's daily, btw, which you'd know if you paid attention.