Microsoft DisplayCover a new touch cover for Microsoft surface

jos

Microsoft created a new touch cover for Microsoft surface called DisplayCover. It has an additional e-ink display that is multitouch enabled. the functionality of the display is adaptive as it changes the functionality based on the application  being run.. there are also e-ink only apps like e-mail which can be used to send email while the screen is occupied with other tasks..Microsoft just posted this video, with explanation..

Why can't microsoft understand that if I attach a keyboard to my device, I want to use it as a laptop and don't give a damn about touch input?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Why can't microsoft understand that if I attach a keyboard to my device, I want to use it as a laptop and don't give a damn about touch input?

Because that are still many people that want to use touch features. If it's an improvement and you don't end up using it, it won't hurt you.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

It's not an actual for-sale thing, it's a concept.

Besides, it's going to fail. I'm quite happy with my Surface as it is. I don't see this attached to my computer any time soon.

I quite like this and find this much more ergonomic than touching the screen while you have a keyboard plugged in. 

This is a prototype. And not an actual product.

This will probably join the team of The keyboard that detects how much you press hard on keys which can be used for password or gaming (acceleration of car for example as you press W)., and another keyboard for desktops with a screen on it.

It's a neat concept, and would certainly be useful to a selection of Surface customers, but if it ever makes it to market, it'll be relatively niche.

I love how everyone who doesn't need it is clamouring that it'll be a failure or is pointless.

I don't need a Wacom Artists Tablet - that doesn't mean Wacom is going out of business anytime soon. I also don't need a Helicopter, but Airbus and Sikorsky are both doing totally fine without me.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

This would be neat if it can be implemented in actual keyboards for PCs or even some laptops

It would be a useless feature for some, but I think it's a nice addition for multitasking and adding some real estate for applications

Microsoft should just make a really sleek surface laptop, maybe a phone as well (with android) , surface could become there hardware brand,

Microsoft should just make a really sleek surface laptop, maybe a phone as well (with android) , surface could become there hardware brand,

Well if you want to get technical, Microsoft makes the "Nokia Lumia" phones, since they bought the mobile division from Nokia. I wouldn't be surprised if they transitioned those into the Surface branding.

Don't expect an Android phone that is Surface branded - that would make literally zero sense from a branding/product strategy point. If Microsoft makes a Surface Phone, you can be 100% sure it'll have Windows 10 Mobile on it.

A Surface Laptop? Neat idea - though I'm not sure if there is actually a need for that. We have lots of excellent Ultrabook designs currently from OEM's. Microsoft only bothered with the Surface tablets (Pro especially) because the OEM's just couldn't make anything that wasn't shit - so Microsoft stepped in and said "Here, THIS is the baseline - the benchmark to aim for".

Surface basically is their hardware brand at this point - I think that will be their ongoing strategy.

But remember, Microsoft doesn't want to be a major hardware manufacturer. That's what all the OEM's are for. They usually only step in when the OEM's are slacking or not innovating or just seem to not understand a new product segment.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well if you want to get technical, Microsoft makes the "Nokia Lumia" phones, since they bought the mobile division from Nokia. I wouldn't be surprised if they transitioned those into the Surface branding.

Don't expect an Android phone that is Surface branded - that would make literally zero sense from a branding/product strategy point. If Microsoft makes a Surface Phone, you can be 100% sure it'll have Windows 10 Mobile on it.

A Surface Laptop? Neat idea - though I'm not sure if there is actually a need for that. We have lots of excellent Ultrabook designs currently from OEM's. Microsoft only bothered with the Surface tablets (Pro especially) because the OEM's just couldn't make anything that wasn't shit - so Microsoft stepped in and said "Here, THIS is the baseline - the benchmark to aim for".

Surface basically is their hardware brand at this point - I think that will be their ongoing strategy.

But remember, Microsoft doesn't want to be a major hardware manufacturer. That's what all the OEM's are for. They usually only step in when the OEM's are slacking or not innovating or just seem to not understand a new product segment.

I have to say, the Surface tablets were really a good idea from Microsoft. Not so much the Windows RT versions-which are still actually pretty good apart from a lack of apps-but the Pro version with Windows 8.1 Pro.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I have to say, the Surface tablets were really a good idea from Microsoft. Not so much the Windows RT versions-which are still actually pretty good apart from a lack of apps-but the Pro version with Windows 8.1 Pro.

Well Microsoft did fix the "RT" versions as well. The new Surface 3 (non-pro) is full x86 Windows. We actually just picked one up at work for testing purposes. It's a quad-core Atom CPU - not great - but it's alright for basics like web browsing, email, Facebook, etc. It has what appears to be a mini-DP port on it, for external monitors. You could easily use this as an entry-level workstation for MS Office work, just as long as you didn't go crazy with Excel spreadsheets or anything.

The Surface Pro 3 is on a completely different level of speed though - our CEO uses one as her portable computer - we might end up having to get another Pro 3 for the above mentioned testing, since we don't think the Surface 3 will be powerful enough for our specific application (A front-end interface for an ILS Server - Integrated Library System - basically the backend of a Library).