Anyone else hate the term "Esports"?

KarateHottie93

OP seems to have gotten something wrong... Esports is gaming, not a physically active sport, esport is a thing in itself, the grey area between just competitive and sport.

A requirement for a sport is as you said, being physically active.

To the mistake. You say you hate when gaming is called esports, but there is no argument in that. Gaming is esports, or is baseball not a normal sport?

So many things to point out in this, I wish i could share my group project, a 40 minute presentation about esport, its in danish though, to open up some peoples mind.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

SNIP

Gaming still requires physical actions, button presses, and is reliant on skill, teamwork and for long tournaments endurance and focus

Sure it does not require a physique, and its not about physical exertion, but more about mental exertion and a game of skill

Its not called a sport

its an E-Sport just like an email is nothing to do with mail, there is no physical letter being sent, its an electronics representation, just like games are an electronics representation of physical activity

"ELECTRONIC SPORT"  seems a perfectly reasonable name for what it is

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yes.. People who call gaming a sport make me wanna throw up, and this is coming from someone who has been gaming since he was in diapers.

Clearly you're still in nappies if you're making a comment like this. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Esports is fine for me, but I cringe every time I hear "esport athletes".

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

"ELECTRONIC SPORT"  seems a perfectly reasonable name for what it is

well when you put it like that....

I'm not going to throw myself in the argument just stating my opinion. I personally don't like the term esports for the general use. I like competitive gaming more, even professional/pro gaming. I really like the term MLG but that is an organization so you can't really use it for general use.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Esports is fine for me, but I cringe every time I hear "esport athletes".

I've never heard that term used, but it sounds pretty special. That's like calling calling a football player "A sport athlete". Sounds pretty silly.

The guy who inspires footlong subs in ship girl skirts.

I've never heard that term used, but it sounds pretty special. That's like calling calling a football player "A sport athlete". Sounds pretty silly.

N0fqBLa.png

Razer use that term pretty often when marketing their products.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

They call it esports because a) there's teams b) there's competitive-ness and c) it does take some skill

But yes, if any one were to call gaming a sport outside of the internet i would probably cringe a bit

Shipping sucks

Clearly you're still in nappies if you're making a comment like this. 

Why, because my opinion is different than yours?

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Why, because my opinion is different than yours?

No, because you said it in such a childish way, instead of backing up your argument with reasoning. I couldn't care less if someone has a different view to me. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

No, because you said it in such a childish way, instead of backing up your argument with reasoning. I couldn't care less if someone has a different view to me. 

I was simply stating my opinion. I don't need to explain myself, it's an opinion, plain and simple. It wasn't an "argument". I don't see anywhere on my post where I claimed that my opinions are factual.

And how was it childish?

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Eh... there's lots of things that instinctively seem to me like they shouldn't be called sports, but every time I try to think of an actual reason, there's a decent enough argument to make me accept it so I don't really care what it's called.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

N0fqBLa.png

omg are they trying to show that the controller is very aerodynamic!?  How on earth does that matter in any way!?  lol

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

How can it be a sport when every definition of "sport" has the words "physical and athletic" in it?

Chess is a sport according to the Olympics.  Why can't competitive gaming be one?

Why does it even matter anyways? It doesn't affect you :P

These people spend hundreds & thousands of hours practicing and becoming professionals, it is physically and mentally exhausting even if they aren't running around on a basketball court or something of the sort.

Have you ever played a video game, tried your absolute hardest whilst recording your gameplay, and then gone and diagnosed everything you did wrong or could do better?  Now, go do that for 10 hours a day for months or years and tell me it's not physically exerting. 

Also about the whole "obesity" thing, a lot of professional gamers in the LoL teams actually have scheduled gym and exercise time nowadays, and have been receiving sponsorships from supplement & work-out companies.  "Gamer life" hopefully will improve because of this.  

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

N0fqBLa.png

Wow, I guess I lied. I saw that ad but didn't register how silly it sounded in contrast to the fact they're marketing a controller like an airplane. lol

The guy who inspires footlong subs in ship girl skirts.

If you want to go extremely technical, Technically, moving your finger IS a physical activity, strenuous or not. You move your fingers constantly when playing a game, so technically, when sat next to the definition of "Sports" it fits the bill. So, even if you barely get enough exercise to burn 1 calorie, its still technically a sport by definition. Hell, walking can be a sport. Twitching your nose can be a sport. Theoretically, when sat next to the definition of "Sport", anythings a "sport" considering we are using muscles to pump blood to the human body daily.

Intel i5 4690k | NZXT Kraken x61 | MSI z97 Gaming 5 | MSI GTX 970 EVGA Supernova G2 750 G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB 2133mhz [2x8] | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB SSD NZXT H440 [black and Red]

Saving for a Dream rig :)

• 1 month later...

I have nothing against competitive gaming. Hell, I'm one of the highest rated Death Knights in North America on WoW. Why call it Esports though? Why not just call it competitive gaming?

I can accept a lot of things as sports...even pro wrestling and fishing. Gaming is not a sport though. Gaming contributes to obesity from the simple fact you are not being physically active in most scenarios. How can something that makes you fat be a sport? That's worse than calling professional eating a sport.

And before anyone tries to define "sport" to me, no! Gaming is in no definition a sport!

I'm sorry for the rant. I just get so sick every single time I hear gaming referred to as "Esports".

Edit:

Sorry, not trying to offend people by calling gamers fat. Was simply pointing out that if you game 24/7, you will either be overweight on underweight because it is not physical. Sports are literally defined by the words physical and athletic.

If gaming is a sport than so is drawing and cooking...culinary sports, anyone?

It's not a sport because you don't get physical activity, it's a skill ! Also, eating isn't a sport either ppl. I agree OP, I am not against it either, just the sport part.

If you want to go extremely technical, Technically, moving your finger IS a physical activity, strenuous or not. You move your fingers constantly when playing a game, so technically, when sat next to the definition of "Sports" it fits the bill. So, even if you barely get enough exercise to burn 1 calorie, its still technically a sport by definition. Hell, walking can be a sport. Twitching your nose can be a sport. Theoretically, when sat next to the definition of "Sport", anythings a "sport" considering we are using muscles to pump blood to the human body daily.

I think were using it colloquially and not in the technical sense though.

• 2 weeks later...

This years old argument is really tiring, especially since the arguments against using the term haven't evolved at all. It's just a word. I honestly don't care what it's called. I use the term "esport" since it is shorter than "competitive game" and it sounds alright to me. And if chess and poker can be considered a sport then I don't see why not call it that. 

• 4 weeks later...

Esports are a joke

*logs out*

The phrase itself is a joke. 'Competitive Gaming' or 'Hardcore Gaming' sound much better imo.

I mean, chess is considered a sport so why not?

Chess is a sport? Whaaa???? I never knew this...

If you want to go extremely technical, Technically, moving your finger IS a physical activity, strenuous or not. You move your fingers constantly when playing a game

-snip-

Technically yes, but I'm pretty sure most real sports don't lead to bodily defects such as RSI etc

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

The phrase itself is a joke. 'Competitive Gaming' or 'Hardcore Gaming' sound much better imo.

Technically yes, but I'm pretty sure most real sports don't lead to bodily defects such as RSI etc

Yep, recognized as one by the Olympic league.

Uhh, football results in brain damage, you can break a leg, scrape your leg and get an infection of something like mrsa?

Intel i5 4690k | NZXT Kraken x61 | MSI z97 Gaming 5 | MSI GTX 970 EVGA Supernova G2 750 G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB 2133mhz [2x8] | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB SSD NZXT H440 [black and Red]

Saving for a Dream rig :)