Anyone else hate the term "Esports"?

KarateHottie93

It doesn't cease to amaze me how ignorant you're being, physical and mental skill are two things that can make a competitive activity a sport and you're outright denying the competitive gaming's ability to be a sport because it's not "physical enough". 

Uhm no...cause competition does not make it a sport. Physical activity does. You are just in denial.

Sport (UK) or sports (US) are all forms of usually competitive physical activity which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills.

Gaming does not improve your physical ability. To say it does is a blatant denial.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Uhm no...cause competition does not make it a sport. Physical activity does. You are just in denial.

Sport (UK) or sports (US) are all forms of usually competitive physical activity which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills.

Gaming does not improve your physical ability. To say it does is a blatant denial.

Took a while to find something that barely supports your point huh? Gaming is an amazing way to aim to use, maintain, and improve your hand eye coordination (a physical ability / skill), and reflexes (a physical ability / skill). Sure you're not building muscles or gaining stamina but you are, using, maintaining, and improving several physical abilities and skills.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Took a while to find something that barely supports your point huh? Gaming is an amazing way to aim to use, maintain, and improve your hand eye coordination (a physical ability / skill), and reflexes (a physical ability / skill). Sure you're not building muscles or gaining stamina but you are, using, maintaining, and improving several physical abilities and skills.

Hand-eye cordination is entirely neurological. Once again, by your logic, opening a door is a sport.

Hand-eye cordination is entirely neurological. Once again, by your logic, opening a door is a sport.

Do you open doors competitively? I'd love to see that. I'm not saying any activity is a sport, I'm saying a physical / mental activity in a competitive atmosphere is a sport. You're argument is invalid, and redundant.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

Do you open doors competitively? I'd love to see that. I'm not saying any activity is a sport, I'm saying a physical / mental activity in a competitive atmosphere is a sport. You're argument is invalid, and redundant.

No, your argument is simply that...an argument.

No, your argument is simply that...an argument.

You're now failing to reply with anything beneficial so I will take that as you no longer having any points to debate with because my logic is superseding your arrogance. Also here is the dictionary definition of an argument :)

http://imgur.com/pbDbxUL

A sport is where the skill helps improve the physical performance, gaming is almost entirely skill.

Arguing E-sports isn't sports is like arguing E-mail shouldn't be mail.

It isn't written with pen and paper, you don't have to have postage, nothing tangible is delivered. No person drives your mail and smashes it in the back of the truck.

However its still delivered, electronically, read, electronically,  with the message getting across yet. Nobody had to walk outside and deliver that shit to the mailbox.

Gaming still requires input by hands, and games like Dota 2, League of Legends, Counter Strike. (Popular E-Sports [Games]). Still have captains, teams working together to defeat another team. A general acceptance of rules, cheaters, drug enhancement. Extremely high paid players in comparison to casual players (Both Sport and Games), Fantasy Leagues and Gambling.

Hell MOBAs are pretty much an Electronic Gladiator pit, and if Gladiators weren't part of a sport, can you please go back and inform the Romans.

But yeah I vote we call E-mail, Electronically Typed Input Instantly Traveling to an Internet Storage Location at Overly Convenient Speeds. Or ETIITISLOCS, also E-Tiiti is acceptable for short.

Because relating roughly similar activities with words that roughly describe a subject. Well that's just getting silly.

gaming can be confused with gabling, a term like esports is easily identifiable

for this reason i view the term very reasonable

electronicSports

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

It is a sport.How fast you can move your fingers on your mouse keyboard while formulating a strategy to take-down your opponents.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

"Sports are all forms of usually competitive physical activity which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing entertainment to participants, and in some cases, spectators.[2] Usually the contest or game is between two sides, each attempting to exceed the other. Some sports allow a tie game; others provide tie-breaking methods, to ensure one winner and one loser. A number of such two-sided contests may be arranged in a tournament producing a champion."

The question is merely whether gaming is a physical act.  With gaming there are input errors and sometimes very complex timings, quick hand movement, and precision.  If you compare gaming competitions to golf (which is commonly accepted as a sport), then the true amount of physical exertion involved in gaming is arguably higher for your typical video games (especially fighting games).  If you look at race car driving, which allows for next to no physical exertion at all, but does require some implementation of it, this is also accepted as being a sport. With that, along with the other identifying factors of what is considered a sport, video gaming would have to be classified as a sport as well.  

When you call it E-Sports, as opposed to sports, it creates a situation where it could literally be anything, technically.  It has its own name, and therefore any definition could be created for this term.  So, however you look at it, both sports and E-Sports are accurate terms for what video gaming competitions are.  And bear in mind that when the definition was originally created, it was approximately 1,400 years ago, for the English language, just a tad before video games became popular.

Gaming doesn't contribute to obesity, it's a choice someone makes not to have balance in their life. People choose to game more than get exercise, just like how people who all they do is sit around and read aren't getting exercise. Just because it's not a "physical" activity doesn't mean it's contributing to obesity.

Don't you know reading causes obesity. /s

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

• 2 weeks later...

If you say that chess is not a sport, than you are claiming that you have a better understanding of what a sport is than the International Olympic Committee.

And by the way, there are professional darts players who are obese, does this mean that darts is not a sport?

A headshot in CSGO requires precise coordination just like a bullseye does in darts or archery.

If you look at the scenes in South Korea, you will see that the social phenomenon shares a lot of properties from other types of sports, i.e. teams, leagues, associations, stadiums full of fans, commentary etc.

Also, from a linguistic standpoint, "competitive gaming" is way too long to be used frequently and repeatedly, the principle of language economy warrents a shorter term to be created.

Reducing the meaning of sports to athleticism is an over-simplification.

Yes.. People who call gaming a sport make me wanna throw up, and this is coming from someone who has been gaming since he was in diapers.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

"Sport" comes from the Old French 'desport' meaning "leisure"(or Pleasure), with the oldest definition in English from around 1300 being "anything humans find amusing or entertaining". Other meanings include gambling and events staged for the purpose of gambling; hunting; and games and diversions, including ones that require exercise. Roget's defines the noun sport as an "activity engaged in for relaxation and amusement" with synonyms including diversion and recreation. I will point out that definitions are fluid, and can be swayed by it's use in certain cultures or sub groups. According to the Sports Accord (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SportAccord)(http://www.sportaccord.com) which is the current authority on whether or not something becomes a sport it does not require physical activity .They give a comprehensive list, and a set of categories for where sports are divided up. as far as I can tell it was never a requirement to have a physical requirement, but more of a cultural assumption since not many things that could be a sport have come around that don't have a lot of physical activity.

I would like to point out that South Korea is a big preponderant of video games as part of their culture.

In the end it pretty much comes down to whether or not you like the sport or not... so fuck off to your machismo corner, while people move on with their life without worrying about their words being sullied.

read my messages in a gleeful tone. 

Look at it like chess, its called a sport. Nothing physical, but it requires brain power. Gaming is the same too, eSport athletes have great minds, they're able to predict and manipulate "average" players. Gaming and chess are the best ways to look at it.

Edit: Saw everyone wrote the same thing. Lmao, much ashamed.

Xeon 1231 v3/ H81m - P33 / 8GB Corsair Vengeance/ GTX 950/ Fractal Design Core 1000.

I'm just gonna leave that and especially the first answer from Monte ( commentator / analyst in Lol)

Who cares

Eh, Poker is considered a sport. Am i a big fan of the term "ESports"? No but i don't really see it changing anytime soon so we will just have to go with it.

Main Rig: | CPU: Intel Core i9-7900x | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 Founders | Mobo: Asus ROG Strix X299-E Gaming | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 MHz | SSD: Samsung 980 Pro w/Heatsink 1TB & Samsung 960 Pro 1TB | Sound: Parasound ZDAC & Burson Soloist Amp | PSU: Corsair RM850 | Fans: 2x Noctua NF-F12 | Case: Caselabs MAGNUM SMA8 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 800 | Keyboard: WASD V3 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Mousepad: Logitech G PowerPlay | CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | Primary Monitor: Acer Predator XB272 | Extra Monitors: Samsung Syncmaster PX2370 |

But sports is literally defined by physical activity and athletic ability.

Sports is not defined by just competition. If that was the case than rock, paper, scissors would be a sport.

That differs between languages tho, in swedish e.g what you refer to would best be translated by athletics and someone practicing such a activity would be an athlete. While sport can be used as a wider definiton for all sorts of competitons. 

Also, how many professional players in the eports scene are overwheight? I acually recall watching a swedish documentary series about NiP, where they visited The Swedish School of Sports and Health Sciences (GIH) and were educated about the importance of keeping physically fit to be able to preform at the level of a professional. 

Keeping fit gives you more energy, better endurance and helps you keep focus for extended periods of time. All things neccecary if you want to compete at ESL, TI, LCS level of play. 

Sorry for the rant, here's a heart <3

• 3 weeks later...

Poker is broadcasted on ESPN and enjoyed by many. They having shooting based sports in the olympics.

I'm not saying people who think competitive gaming isn't a sport are close minded assholes, but I mean, come on. It's not that big of a leap to think eSports are as valid a sport as so much of the other shit that is. You'd be better off complaining about card games and marksmanship before you say competitive gaming isn't a sport.

The guy who inspires footlong subs in ship girl skirts.

Doesn't bother me at all. It sounds more legit than competitive gaming

I just want to make a couple of points...

#1. Many pro gamers understand that in order to have a trained mind, you have to have a trained body. There are many guys that strive to succeed just as much in the gym as they do on the sticks (or keyboard). Calling them "fat" is a lazy argument, especially when some of these guys are more physically fit than some pro-athletes.

#2. While it wasn't mentioned in the OP, I'd still like to point out that you burn just as many calories watching League of Legends as you do watching the NFL.

#3. Why are people so threatened by the name "eSports" to begin with? Who really cares? It's existed long enough that arguing about it isn't going to change the name...