Anyone else hate the term "Esports"?

KarateHottie93

No but other than extreme amounts of physical activity it's the exact same.

But sports is literally defined by physical activity and athletic ability.

Sports is not defined by just competition. If that was the case than rock, paper, scissors would be a sport.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

http://imgur.com/v2ykXZo

By that images definition, it's physical exertion and skill that makes an activity a sport. Gaming has to a degree has the physical aspect but is mostly based on skill, things like chess are considered a sport, so why not gaming, where you are the chess pieces.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

You're right, if chess is considered a sport,than gaming should be as well, but who the hell considers chess to be a sport? At least with gaming you need some physical skill, it's not all mental.

You're right, if chess is considered a sport,than gaming should be as well, but who the hell considers chess to be a sport? At least with gaming you need some physical skill, it's not all mental.

Hand-eye coordination is a physical skill, as a child I had very poor hand-eye coordination but the older I got the more video games I played the more I developed that skill, to the point where my reaction times and reflexes are much better than those of my peers who don't play video games and partake in similar activities.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

Hand-eye coordination is a physical skill, as a child I had very poor hand-eye coordination but the older I got the more video games I played the more I developed that skill, to the point where my reaction times and reflexes are much better than those of my peers who don't play video games and partake in similar activities.

I agree, it's a physical skill, but you need more than that to make a sport. Chess isn't a sport because there isn't much physical work being done, racing isn't a sport because the machine does most of the work, the driver only controls the machine, gaming is a bit of both, not much physical work is being done and the computer works harder than the gamer.

I'm a huge racing fan, I game, and I wish I was a better chess player. I have a lot of respect for all three of these, but that doesn't make the people that practice those athletes. It's not because you respect something that you have to pretend that it's something it's not.

I agree, it's a physical skill, but you need more than that to make a sport. Chess isn't a sport because there isn't much physical work being done, racing isn't a sport because the machine does most of the work, the driver only controls the machine, gaming is a bit of both, not much physical work is being done and the computer works harder than the gamer.

I'm a huge racing fan, I game, and I wish I was a better chess player. I have a lot of respect for all three of these, but that doesn't make the people that practice those athletes. It's not because you respect something that you have to pretend that it's something it's not.

The computer doesn't work harder than the gamer, sure it renders the image on the screen but you're the one telling it what to do- you make all the decisions, it simply allows you to make them.

http://imgur.com/v2ykXZo

By that images definition, it's physical exertion and skill that makes an activity a sport. Gaming has to a degree has the physical aspect but is mostly based on skill, things like chess are considered a sport, so why not gaming, where you are the chess pieces.

No. That is seriously stretching a definition beyond reality. You do not exert yourself physicaly when you game!

When I was a high school wrestler and we trained to the point where I threw up on some days...that was physical exertion. Sprinting a 400 meter dash is physical exertion, doing a triathlon is physical exertion.

By your logic, jumping when something scares you is physical exertion.

The computer doesn't work harder than the gamer, sure it renders the image on the screen but you're the one telling it what to do- you make all the decisions, it simply allows you to make them.

Then high performance PCs are useless for pro gamers ?

Really grasping at straws there huh? High end computers are used to render games at high resolutions and framerates so that a gamer can have a better more immersive experience. It's kinda like using a 250$ baseball glove over a 15$ baseball glove, it's for a better experience.

Really grasping at straws there huh? High end computers are used to render games at high resolutions and framerates so that a gamer can have a better more immersive experience. It's kinda like using a 250$ baseball glove over a 15$ baseball glove, it's for a better experience.

You don't rely on the baseball glove for every single aspect of the game...

Pretty much this. Perfect example of why I can barely consider fishing as a sport. The machine you are using is 100% mechanical and driven entirely by physical exertion.

When you play a video game, like racing, you are just piloting another machine.

You don't rely on the baseball glove for every single aspect of the game...

But you can't play baseball without a glove, bat, or ball.

You can play baseball without a glove. Lets see you drive a car or play a video game without the machine. The engine powers the car, not you. The energy source powers the PC or console, not you.

But you can't play baseball without a glove, bat, or ball.

You don't have to have the glove to play. The bat and ball are powered 100% by the player. That is 100% physical. Power your PC by running on a hamster wheel while you play and I'll call it a sport.

You can play baseball without a glove. Lets see you drive a car or play a video game without the machine. The engine powers the car, not you. The energy source powers the PC or console, not you.

You've some how confused "physical exertion" with combustion and electrical signals. I'd like to remind you those are two different things.

You've some how confused "physical exertion" with combustion and electrical signals. I'd like to remind you those are two different things.

You somehow think that when a machine or external power source does all the work, you are exerting yourself physically.

You don't have to have the glove to play. The bat and ball are powered 100% by the player. That is 100% physical. Power your PC by running on a hamster wheel while you play and I'll call it a sport.

The movement of the cursor on my screen and the movement of the player I'm controlling is 100% me. The computer is simply processing the information. Just like you swinging the bat is physical you're not driving the ball. You're giving the bat potential energy and the ball receiving it as kinetic energy.

The movement of the cursor on my screen and the movement of the player I'm controlling is 100% me. The computer is simply processing the information. Just like you swinging the bat is physical you're not driving the ball. You're giving the bat potential energy and the ball receiving it as kinetic energy.

The tools we use are simply a middleman. 

You somehow think that when a machine or external power source does all the work, you are exerting yourself physically.

You're controlling the machine and exerting yourself. It may be a much smaller amount but it's still an amount.

The source of the energy is the person swinging that bat or pitching that ball.

The sourch of energy that powers your computer is coming from the outlet in your wall, which comes from a power line, which comes from a power plant...

I don't need an outlet or engine to hit a ball with a bat. All I need is my physical body, the bat I'm swinging, and the ball I'm hitting.

The source of the energy is the person swinging that bat or pitching that ball.

The sourch of energy that powers your computer is coming from the outlet in your wall, which comes from a power line, which comes from a power plant...

I don't need an outlet or engine to hit a ball with a bat. All I need is my physical body, the bat I'm swinging, and the ball I'm hitting.

You seem to be missing the point that I'm causing an action, just like you are causing an action by swinging a bat. The only difference is what you are doing.

You seem to be missing the point that I'm causing an action, just like you are causing an action by swinging a bat. The only difference is what you are doing.

I get that you are causing the action but unlike in a real sport, you can't cause that action without the use of an external energy source.

I get that you are causing the action but unlike in a real sport, you can't cause that action without the use of an external energy source.

I can simply respond with you're not causing the ball to come at you when you're at the plate, it's caused by an external energy source, another person. I mean I can go so far down the chain by saying someone working in a nuclear power plant somewhere is providing power to my home by keeping the nuclear reactor stable, like the suns nuclear energy is giving our body vitamin D, which is vital to allowing our body to do various activities.

I can simply respond with you're not causing the ball to come at you when you're at the plate, it's caused by an external energy source, another person. I mean I can go so far down the chain by saying someone working in a nuclear power plant somewhere is providing power to my home by keeping the nuclear reactor stable, like the suns nuclear energy is giving our body vitamin D, which is vital to allowing our body to do various activities.

But the thing is, the ball coming at you is thrown physically by another player. It doesn't matter how you try to put it. Playing video games via a mouse/keyboard or controller is no more physical than eating a pinecone. Actually, it's less.

It doesn't cease to amaze me how ignorant you're being, physical and mental skill are two things that can make a competitive activity a sport and you're outright denying the competitive gaming's ability to be a sport because it's not "physical enough".