Linus internet?

DominicNikon

what is Linus internet provider if he gets 200mb download speeds?

I don't know but whatever provider it is he's probably paying quite a premium to get it with all its guaranteed bandwidth glory.

I'd like to say Telus.

Sig under construction.

It's a pretty crappy deal really but where he's located probably the best option.

Where I live, I can get 2Gb/2Gb for 299 a month.....I mean it's comcast, but still

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I believe he said Business Class Shaw or Bell.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

It's a pretty crappy deal really but where he's located probably the best option.

Where I can, I can get 2Gb/2Gb for 299 a month.....I mean it's comcast, but still

2Gb sounds pretty good and I'd want to pay that price. I can't find any providers that will even get a leased line to my house - not that we could afford it.

Sig under construction.

I'd say bell. They offer gigabit speeds now so 200mbps constant is probably a non issue\

Where I live, I can get 2Gb/2Gb for 299 a month.....I mean it's comcast, but still

my down load speed is 15mb to 25mb

Please don't confuse residential connections with business class connections that have IP SLA's.

what is Linus internet provider if he gets 200mb download speeds?

I believe he said Business Class Shaw or Bell.

I'd say bell. They offer gigabit speeds now so 200mbps constant is probably a non issue\

He said to have a fiber run to the office cost somewhere in the 4-5 figure range.

Please don't confuse residential connections with business class connections that have IP SLA's.

Looks like iTel.

buNRJHz.jpg

Sig under construction.

He's paying for business class internet. That comes with guaranteed up time percentages. I bet he pays over $1500 CAD per month for it.

The guarantee of service, as well as the level of service they would provide (such as working on an issue within a few hours - even if it means sending out a service tech ASAP), is well worth the cost.

This ain't no consumer internet.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

He's paying for business class internet. That comes with guaranteed up time percentages. I bet he pays over $1500 CAD per month for it.

The guarantee of service, as well as the level of service they would provide (such as working on an issue within a few hours - even if it means sending out a service tech ASAP), is well worth the cost.

This ain't no consumer internet.

I would have quoted a price if they have it for business class yet. They don't, but will soon. I was looking into getting a ~200Mb business class line myself here and it's still leagues cheaper than there.

Plus, at the price, you can get decent 'business class' internet, like maybe a 50Mb connection, nothing special as a backup, as well as a residential 2Gb line and still pay a lot less.

Consider while the connection is important to LMG, they do produce and upload videos, they don't host a webserver from the office or anything so, if avaible, residential internet would work fine.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I would have quoted a price if they have it for business class yet. They don't, but will soon. I was looking into getting a ~200Mb business class line myself here and it's still leagues cheaper than there.

Plus, at the price, you can get decent 'business class' internet, like maybe a 50Mb connection, nothing special as a backup, as well as a residential 2Gb line and still pay a lot less.

Consider while the connection is important to LMG, they do produce and upload videos, they don't host a webserver from the office or anything so, if avaible, residential internet would work fine.

I really don't think that residential internet is sufficient for them any longer. If they have an outage? It could last for days before getting fixed.

That's what you're really paying for with business class. When your entire business relies on you being able to upload tons of large videos daily, down time is kind of a big deal.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I really don't think that residential internet is sufficient for them any longer. If they have an outage? It could last for days before getting fixed.

That's what you're really paying for with business class. When your entire business relies on you being able to upload tons of large videos daily, down time is kind of a big deal.

well yah. Of course you can't get the 2Gb here as the only line. But, it's at the right price to where I persoanlly would get it, as the 99% of the time it's up, it would be a godsend. With a backup line of course. 

Of course, I'm interested in the "business class" prices for a fiber line like that. It would be a dream come true if the price is reasonable. 

(Surprisingly here, Comcast has been great about downtime on residential recently. i can log in and see exactly what time to expect service if it's down, usually between 3-5am if it is)

muh specs 

All parts black

well yah. Of course you can't get the 2Gb here as the only line. But, it's at the right price to where I persoanlly would get it, as the 99% of the time it's up, it would be a godsend. With a backup line of course. 

Of course, I'm interested in the "business class" prices for a fiber line like that. It would be a dream come true if the price is reasonable. 

(Surprisingly here, Comcast has been great about downtime on residential recently. i can log in and see exactly what time to expect service if it's down, usually between 3-5am if it is)

My backup (Consumer grade) ISP states in our contract that in case of an outage they have 72 hours to repair the damage and return operations to normal. Imagine LMG not being able to upload anything for 3 days.. And some ISPs don't want to provide consumer grade internet to a business. Somewhere even the law forbids such.

All in all, yes you can *predict* when the change of IPs happens, but what if the ISP node fails somewhere or fiber get's cut, also peering and so on.

Nobody in here uses Google Fiber?

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

My backup (Consumer grade) ISP states in our contract that in case of an outage they have 72 hours to repair the damage and return operations to normal. Imagine LMG not being able to upload anything for 3 days.. And some ISPs don't want to provide consumer grade internet to a business. Somewhere even the law forbids such.

All in all, yes you can *predict* when the change of IPs happens, but what if the ISP node fails somewhere or fiber get's cut, also peering and so on.

well in the case that they won't provide the consumer grade internet to businesses, that I didn't consider seeing they are in an actual building instead of a house. And I meant the business grade as the backup. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Our residential Internet around here is not very good. Top of the line upload speeds are 15Mbit, and data caps are 400GB/month (not nearly enough) It makes a big difference for us to have a proper internet connection.

Our residential Internet around here is not very good. Top of the line upload speeds are 15Mbit, and data caps are 400GB/month (not nearly enough) It makes a big difference for us to have a proper internet connection.

Hey Linus, I'm on Telus and I get around 25 - 30 Mbit up. This still probably isn't fast enough for your office, but just wanted to point out that 15Mbit isn't the max for the area.

4610581588.png

Linus certainly has iTel and Linus certainly pays a few thousand a month for it.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

Hey Linus, I'm on Telus and I get around 25 - 30 Mbit up. This still probably isn't fast enough for your office, but just wanted to point out that 15Mbit isn't the max for the area.

4610581588.png

Vancouver is a pretty damn big place man :P

In his neighbourhood where the Warehouse is, 15Mbit probably is the best you can get. Industrial sectors are often seriously lacking in Internet Infrastructure.

At my old job, the best our office complex could get was 6 Mbps.

2Gb sounds pretty good and I'd want to pay that price. I can't find any providers that will even get a leased line to my house - not that we could afford it.

£299 a month? sorry but youre on drugs mate, thats well too expensive just for internet.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

£299 a month? sorry but youre on drugs mate, thats well too expensive just for internet.

For 2Gbps synchronous? You're on drugs, my friend. Almost nowhere in the US has 1Gbps Internet, let alone 2Gbps (Google Fibre is incredibly rare and only covers a very small section of the country).

Plus, that's $299 USD, not 299 GBP. For consumer Internet, that's a pretty damn good deal. I pay $85 CAD for 150Mbps Internet.

Furthermore, this was about Linus' Internet, which is business grade. He likely pays well over $1000 for Business Grade Internet because of the SLA (Service Level Agreement - basically a guarantee of uptime, plus repair/service turnaround times that are usually within an hour or two).

For 2Gbps synchronous? You're on drugs, my friend. Almost nowhere in the US has 1Gbps Internet, let alone 2Gbps (Google Fibre is incredibly rare and only covers a very small section of the country).

Plus, that's $299 USD, not 299 GBP. For consumer Internet, that's a pretty damn good deal. I pay $85 CAD for 150Mbps Internet.

Furthermore, this was about Linus' Internet, which is business grade. He likely pays well over $1000 for Business Grade Internet because of the SLA (Service Level Agreement - basically a guarantee of uptime, plus repair/service turnaround times that are usually within an hour or two).

Erm he's from the U.K. not the U.S. so how could it be $299, and yes it is a stupid price, you can already get 1Gb speeds in some parts of the U.K. for £22 ($34) for 6 months then £47 ($72) after, we don't get ripped off as bad as people in the U.S.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |