MSI GeForce GTX 970 problems with Dell U2414H

Bruu Betyr
Go to solution Solved by Senzelian,

Im unsure about this so i started a topic.

Im going to buy the Dell Ultrasharp U2414H but i heard it has problems connecting with Nvidia graphics cards.

I am going the purchase an MSI GeForce GTX 970 and was wondering if it would have problems with the Dell monitor.

Can someone explain this to me?

Yup, this problem exists with HDMI.

It can also occur with DisplayPort as it seems.

The NVidia card will simply detect the monitor has a HDTV, which shouldn't happen.

But there is a fix, by creating a custom resolution:

Btw.: This problem seems only to have existed with the first revision. By now this issue should be mostly fixed. But like I said, even if it happens then there's a simple fix. Nothing to worry about I think

Im going to buy the Dell Ultrasharp U2414H but i heard it has problems connecting with Nvidia graphics cards.

I am going the purchase an MSI GeForce GTX 970 and was wondering if it would have problems with the Dell monitor.

It has issue with using MST with three monitors, but it shouldn't have issues with Nvidia cards. I know several people that use the monitor with Nvidia GPUs. 

The NVidia card will simply detect the monitor has a HDTV, which shouldn't happen.

Btw.: This problem seems only to have existed with the first revision. By now this issue should be mostly fixed. But like I said, even if it happens then there's a simple fix. Nothing to worry about I think

From what I've heard the display has problems with daisy chaining monitors with nvidia cards. Were you planning to use one or multiple monitors?

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

From what I've heard the display has problems with daisy chaining monitors with nvidia cards. Were you planning to use one or multiple monitors?

Dual

After i create a custom display, will the screen be as high res and as powerful as it normaly would?

After i create a custom display, will the screen be as high res and as powerful as it normaly would?

Yup. Everything will be as it should be. It will simply force the GPU to recognize your display as a monitor and show you the full spectrum of colors.

Yup. Everything will be as it should be. It will simply force the GPU to recognize your display as a monitor and show you the full spectrum of colors.

What about dual monitors? Is there any change? After i connect the 2 monitors (U2414H) will i just have to follow the video and then BOTH monitors will be fixed?

What about dual monitors? Is there any change? After i connect the 2 monitors (U2414H) will i just have to follow the video and then BOTH monitors will be fixed?

If you have a dual or tripple monitor setup it might actually work automatically, because it's a completly different resolution.

But yes, you can simply do the same again. But then you probably have to count both displays together as one resolution. Should definitly be fixable.

Dual

Well then daisychaining will probably not work (though I have heard people with Nvidia cards say they are having no problems with it). You can still hook it up using a DP and a DVI though.

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

If you have a dual or tripple monitor setup it might actually work automatically, because it's a completly different resolution.

But yes, you can simply do the same again. But then you probably have to count both displays together as one resolution. Should definitly be fixable.

Im having dual. What do you mean a completely different res? 

Well then daisychaining will probably not work (though I have heard people with Nvidia cards say they are having no problems with it). You can still hook it up using a DP and a DVI though.

Wait, so if i use DVI i wont have any problems at all?

Btw, how do you tell if the GPU thinks that the monitor is a HDTV

Wait, so if i use DVI i wont have any problems at all?

I think there are two problems, and that mine is not the one you were talking about. The problem I described is that daisychaining of these monitors (so attaching monitor A with DP to a GPU and monitor B with a DP to monitor A) apperently doesn't work wel with Nvidia GPU's. I'm not sure what the reason for this is, but the monitor being detected as a HDTV does ring a bell for something I heard on a forum. The problem other people in this post describe seems to be unrelated to the daisychaining. The problem I describe is fixed by not daisychaining (so DP + HDMI / DP + DVI / HDMI + DVI) should all work just fine. I think the problem other people describe may not be that easy (I never heard of this problem so I can't help you there).

Sorry for the confusion.

My System:

Spoiler

I think there are two problems, and that mine is not the one you were talking about. The problem I described is that daisychaining of these monitors (so attaching monitor A with DP to a GPU and monitor B with a DP to monitor A) apperently doesn't work wel with Nvidia GPU's. I'm not sure what the reason for this is, but the monitor being detected as a HDTV does ring a bell for something I heard on a forum. The problem other people in this post describe seems to be unrelated to the daisychaining. The problem I describe is fixed by not daisychaining (so DP + HDMI / DP + DVI / HDMI + DVI) should all work just fine. I think the problem other people describe may not be that easy (I never heard of this problem so I can't help you there).

Sorry for the confusion.

Ok thanks, so your saying that instead of daisy chaining the monitors i connect them separately to the GPU. So monitor 1 connects using DVI while Nr 2 HDMI? And then i configure the rest in the pc settings?

Ok thanks, so your saying that instead of daisy chaining the monitors i connect them separately to the GPU. So monitor 1 connects using DVI while Nr 2 HDMI? And then i configure the rest in the pc settings?

Yeah like I said, I have heard about the problem and I have heard from people with a Nvidia card who don't have any issues at all. But that issue can be solved by attaching every monitor to a seperate output on the GPU. I am not sure whether or not that will solve the problem other people mentioned!

My System:

Spoiler

Yeah like I said, I have heard about the problem and I have heard from people with a Nvidia card who don't have any issues at all. But that issue can be solved by attaching every monitor to a seperate output on the GPU. I am not sure whether or not that will solve the problem other people mentioned!

yh i can solve the u2414h problem afterwards, thanks