[UPDATE 3 - Sapphire's Reference Costs $649 USD] AMD Reveals R9 Nano Benchmarks Ahead of Launch

HKZeroFive

We're talking bureaucratic logic here. They would most certainly be retarded enough to not consider dGPU and iGPU different markets.

Which is why Nvidia is always on the throttle and Intel are always on the brakes. Because Intel WOULD have anti-trust coming their way if AMD disappears, (consumer CPU market) while Nvidia would not. (Intel would be considered competition)

iGPU and dGPU markets are starting to cross lines. dGPU market is slowly dying out.

I have my doubt in regards to that. It is not like Intel isn't facing competition. They aren't facing competition in x86.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

iGPU and dGPU markets are starting to cross lines. dGPU market is slowly dying out.

I have my doubt in regards to that. It is not like Intel isn't facing competition. They aren't facing competition in x86.

Lol, its actually not. And Intel isn't facing competition due to all of AMD's cockups.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Lol, its actually not. And Intel isn't facing competition due to all of AMD's cockups.

You just keep thinking that then..  :lol:

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

You just keep thinking that then..  :lol:

Lol, there is nothing to think about-its fact.

PMSL

Lol, there is nothing to think about-its fact.

It is apparent you haven't thought it through.

Good thing supercomputing isn't the only area where server processors is relevant in..

Every customer desire something different. Intel cannot fulfill all their customers needs.

AMD doesn't have to beat Intel in pure performance. Because that is not necessarily what is most important.

There are many things to consider when a company land a contract. It is not as simple as "skylake is better than zen".

AMD should be done with zen core IP and uncore IP, and should start tape-out around this time, before they start mass-producing.

I think it is funny people are already calling out "AMD dying". What if they shrunk to the irrelevance of VIA, and continued with semi-custom?

AMD structured issues are been taking care of. They have been restructuring the company in the last half decade or so.

For AMD to win, they just need to gain a fair share. They don't need to win over Intel.

Supercomputing is just the market with the highest margins and highest volume. AMD needs to win. VIA's main markets are developing South America and Africa, primarily in provision of cheap desktop and mobile CPUs, not semi custom in the first world. Second, yes, Intel can cover all of those needs. Avoton and Xeon D proved ARM is going to be practically useless in servers.

Financial analysts only a couple months ago say AMD still has critical issues in its top-down structure with high levels of management overhead. The problems are still there. Intel can beat AMD in raw performance, form factor, and power consumption. What's left exactly?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Nvidia will never have a monopoly in the eyes of the FTC anyway, as long as Intel keeps making CPUs with iGPUs.

We're talking bureaucratic logic here. They would most certainly be retarded enough to not consider dGPU and iGPU different markets.

Which is why Nvidia is always on the throttle and Intel are always on the brakes. Because Intel WOULD have anti-trust coming their way if AMD disappears, (consumer CPU market) while Nvidia would not. (Intel would be considered competition)

Intel and Nvidia don't compete in GPUs with the advent of DX 12 and Vulkan having multiadaptor support. Intel would win that argument in court hands down. Second, Intel doesn't have to worry about antitrust lawsuits if AMD dies. It's done nothing illegal to win. Intel's problem with AMD dying is Nvidia most likely obtaining x86_64 as the FTC and investors scrap AMD for parts. X86 with Denver is dangerous in mobile and Intel knows it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

VIA's main markets are developing South America and Africa, not semi custom in the first world. Second, yes, Intel can cover all of those needs. Avoton and Xeon D proved ARM is going to be practically useless in servers.

Financial analysts only a couple months ago say AMD still has critical issues in its top-down structure with high levels of management overhead. The problems are still there. Intel can beat AMD in raw performance, form factor, and power consumption. What's left exactly?

I never mentioned that VIA was involved with semi-custom.

No, they can't. Avoton and xeon D is making compromised on other areas.

ARMs strength in servers are only rising.

I'm not saying their structural issues aren't there, I'm saying that AMD have taken, and still are, actions to do something about it. It is not something you do in a day.

Everything else..

I never mentioned that VIA was involved with semi-custom.

No, they can't. Avoton and xeon D is making compromised on other areas.

ARMs strength in servers are only rising.

I'm not saying their structural issues aren't there, I'm saying that AMD have taken, and still are, actions to do something about it. It is not something you do in a day.

Everything else..

Avoton and Xeon D delivered on every want of the dense micro server crowd. Qualcomm was left with its dick in its hand on that one, and Samsung faired no better. ARM has lost the server war completely apart from microcontrollers.

Avoton and Xeon D delivered on every want of the dense micro server crowd. Qualcomm was left with its dick in its hand on that one, and Samsung faired no better. ARM has lost the server war completely apart from microcontrollers.

Because zen certainly was focusing micro server crowd.. Why are you bringing it up?

No, they haven't.

It is apparent you haven't thought it through.

I have-and as long as there are always gamers and 'modern' consoles under delivering over previous generations, there will always be a demand for dGPU. You also sem to have no clue as to how many uses there are for them outside of gaming.

PMSL

I have-and as long as there are always gamers and 'modern' consoles under delivering over previous generations, there will always be a demand for dGPU. You also sem to have no clue as to how many uses there are for them outside of gaming.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Consoles are already giving a peak of the future. Integration.

And those need will be fulfilled with a APU. Haven't we learned anything, past the last couple of years?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Consoles are already giving a peak of the future. Integration.

And those need will be fulfilled with a APU. Haven't we learned anything, past the last couple of years?

Ok....there are a few words that describe you perfectly, however since they are against the COC I'm not going to say them and I'll simply add you to my block list. I don't want to waste my time on <insert word here>.

PMSL

Because zen certainly was focusing micro server crowd.. Why are you bringing it up?

No, they haven't.

K12 is. Zen won't deliver on anything above what Skylake EP/EX is. Intel's bringing the fully custom SKUs, the FPGA and iGPU combination for those who want/need it. What is Zen's advantage? Core count? Amdahl's Law already has majorly diminishing returns by that point, and AMD's not beating Skylake in performance or power. Without either of those, it has no selling point in HPC.

And yes, ARM has permanently lost that war. It can't compete with x86. Heck it can't compare with Power 8 or Ultrasparc either. There's no room for it in the market. It's done, and its time in tablets and phones is coming to an end in a decade.

Then how come Intel still doesn't have 100% x86 market share, even in newer products?

Fanboys and price brackets.

K12 is. Zen won't deliver on anything above what Skylake EP/EX is. Intel's bringing the fully custom SKUs, the FPGA and iGPU combination for those who want/need it. What is Zen's advantage? Core count? Amdahl's Law already has majorly diminishing returns by that point, and AMD's not beating Skylake in performance or power. Without either of those, it has no selling point in HPC.

And yes, ARM has permanently lost that war. It can't compete with x86. Heck it can't compare with Power 8 or Ultrasparc either. There's no room for it in the market. It's done, and its time in tablets and phones is coming to an end in a decade.

And how does that matter to zen? Which was the topic.

I dont think you know what "full custom" means.

I don't know what zen advantages is, like you don't know its disadvantages.

Because that is solely what they based their purchase on..

No, they haven't. Are you gonna keep spouting out nonsense?

Fanboys and price brackets.

Your level of bias is through the roof these days... you are out of control dude.

You sound like a preacher with weird theories... a company like AMD is afloat because of Fanboys... and price.

Your level of bias is through the roof these days... you are out of control dude.

You sound like a preacher with weird theories... a company like AMD is afloat because of Fanboys... and price.

No sir, you misunderstand. He is a selfproclaimed prodigy and the single mastermind of coding currently alive.

Or so he claims

And how does that matter to zen? Which was the topic.

I dont think you know what "full custom" means.

I don't know what zen advantages is, like you don't know its disadvantages.

Because that is solely what they based their purchase on..

No, they haven't. Are you gonna keep spouting out nonsense?

It's not off-topic. The discussion was AMD as a whole.

I do. Clients can pick any number of Skylake cores, iGPU EUs, PGA chips, extra PCIe lanes, extra memory channels. They can pick whatever they want with Intel's building blocks.

That and long-form cost which is determined by power and heat which is itself a function of power.

ARM is 1 entity. It has lost. It lost the 1 chance it had to break in, and now it's hitting performance walls while Intel's screaming ahead in performance at the same power envelopes.

It's not off-topic. The discussion was AMD as a whole.

I do. Clients can pick any number of Skylake cores, iGPU EUs, PGA chips, extra PCIe lanes, extra memory channels. They can pick whatever they want with Intel's building blocks.

That and long-form cost which is determined by power and heat which is itself a function of power.

ARM is 1 entity. It has lost. It lost the 1 chance it had to break in, and now it's hitting performance walls while Intel's screaming ahead in performance at the same power envelopes.

I was VERY specific it been about zen.

You clearly dont. Read up on it. 

Oh god..

Yes, you did continue..

No sir, you misunderstand. He is a selfproclaimed prodigy and the single mastermind of coding currently alive.

Or so he claims

He is just Intel's holy crusader. He will always defend Intel, even when the situation does not call for it. He also gets overly aggressive when you ask him to supply any proof to his claims, and will only cite cryptic metaphors based on Intel's history, rather than cite a source confirming his claims. Fighting against a man with blind devotion is almost entirely futile. Luckily, i love to argue.

If you want to see a truly hilarious post from him, take a look at this thread, where he claims Skylake's GT3e will match the GTX 950. He genuinely believes it! 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/433764-intel-plans-to-support-vesas-adaptive-sync/?p=5834861

Notice how the man brings up Intel in a thread that has nothing to do with them, completely unprovoked. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/436531-update-gtx-970-mitx-comparison-amd-reveals-r9-nano-benchmarks-ahead-of-launch/?p=5861464

Face it @patrickjp93, you have a problem. I know it is petty of me to call you out on it, but our last two fights ended with you not providing proof to your claims. Perhaps if you are shown your shortcomings, you will be less likely to fall prey to them in the future.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

conclusion: they have competition.

It's that simple.

If sale is not 100%, then there IS competition. Doesnt matter how puny it is.

I didn't contest that, ever.

Where is AMD getting design wins? Consoles? That's pennies per chip which barely offset the R&D costs. And now AMD has a monopoly there. In laptops/tablets Kaveri and Carrizo are only selling on the low end with low margins. In dGPUs, the market is shrinking and AMD is losing market share. In accelerators, they've now fallen behind the Xeon Phi in performance, efficiency, and popularity. What's left? In CPUs, it's the same story. All AMD has is price on its side there. If you'd like to refute these claims, feel free.