Tek Syndicate (video) The Tek 0193: G-Sync is Dead

First off free sync ranges are not limitation of adaptive sync which are 30hz to 240hz it is the manufactures tof the monitors hat limit the ranges. Second why does Nvidia use a form of free sync on laptops and not there monitors for screen teraing?

G-ysnc is dead not for the module but because the royalties  the charge for it which is all ,about the money Nvidia fanboys.

First off free sync ranges are not limitation of adaptive sync which are 30hz to 240hz it is the manufactures tof the monitors hat limit the ranges. Second why does Nvidia use a form of free sync on laptops and not there monitors for screen teraing?

Those laptops use embeded displayport which isn't a desktop technology. I'm not too sure on its specifics but I believe it allows more direct control of the display from the computer hardware.

well if x = percentage of NVIDIA GPU users than gsync is important for those x people, since x is higher than AMD GPUs I doubt it

more people use intel iGPU over Nivida gpu.......sooo what ever intel supports is going to be the bigger push

and intel is going to start supporting freesync (at least a version of it. and they already have been on laptops for a while.)

more people use intel iGPU over Nivida gpu.......sooo what ever intel supports is going to be the bigger push

and intel is going to start supporting freesync (at least a version of it. and they already have been on laptops for a while.)

Ayy lmaaoo yes because my mother who uses IGpu will buy a IPS 1440P 144hz FreeSync monitor for that demn fast Facebook-refreshs.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Ayy lmaaoo yes because my mother who uses IGpu will buy a IPS 1440P 144hz FreeSync monitor for that demn fast Facebook-refreshs.

lots of gamers use igpu.

and freesync benifits more then gaming. and over time as wendell said MORE if not all monitors will support something like it, as it is becoming a standard.

G-ysnc is dead not for the module but because the royalties  the charge for it which is all ,about the money Nvidia fanboys.

G-Sync doesn't add in the price, It's just that ACER has a monopoly right now on the gaming monitors.

There is no competitor for the Acer XB270HU since it's release in April.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

lots of gamers use igpu.

and freesync benifits more then gaming. and over time as wendell said MORE if not all monitors will support something like it, as it is becoming a standard.

Except for third world countries or Asia people should shame for using a IGPU. Even a 13 year old can earn 60€/$ by doing something as simple as newspaperrounds. 

But I doubt the people with IGpu's will spend 200-300$ on a new monitor just because it has Freesync. Turning on V-SYNC is free.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

G-Sync doesn't add in the price, It's just that ACER has a monopoly right now on the gaming monitors.

Which is exactly why Benq's xl2420g gsync monitor is more expensive than its non gsync counterparts in the xl series.

Which is exactly why Benq's xl2420g gsync monitor is more expensive than its non gsync counterparts in the xl series.

That's because Benq ask a premium for it. Why shouldn't they as a company who wants to make a profit?

Also that screen is like ridiculously overpriced for a 24 inch 1080P TN 144hz monitor.  If someone is unwilling to get a returned/refurbished Acer XB270HU for 400-500$ then atleast get the Eizo Foris FG2421 which has a 120hz VA panel.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

That's because Benq ask a premium for it. Why shouldn't they as a company who wants to make a profit?

Also that screen is like ridiculously overpriced for a 24 inch 1080P TN 144hz monitor. 

Which means gsync adds to the cost, whether from the module itself or just because royalties. Contradicting exactly what you said just before.

Which means gsync adds to the cost, whether from the module itself or just because royalties. Contradicting exactly what you said just before.

And why should I care about costs? Just because some people are unwilling to buy a refurbished/returned Acer XB270HU for 400-500$ because people have to go trough 5 of them before they get one without defects?

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

And why should I care about costs? Just because some people are unwilling to buy a refurbished/returned Acer XB270HU for 400-500$ because people have to go trough 5 of them before they get one without defects?

Unless I misunderstood what you said or your intended meaning you essentially said gsync doesn't add to the price, which is wrong.

Unless I misunderstood what you said or your intended meaning you essentially said gsync doesn't add to the price, which is wrong.

It doesn't add up to the price, since there are no competiors to compared two screens with.

XB270HU is the ONLY IPS 1440P 144hz G-SYNC screen.

XB280HK is the ONLY 4K screen with G-SYNC

Yes there is the Asus MG279Q but that one only has FreeSync up to 90hz which bascially makes it pretty useless, since the difference between 90hz and 144hz is huge

You will see when the new Asus ROG Swift PG279Q comes out the XB270HU will drastically drop down in price.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

With Nvidia holding something like 80% of the discrete GPU market and that being the market that is most likely to care about VRR I think G-sync is far from dead especially if they take advantage of the extra control they get and push features that plain adaptive-sync wont support.

At the end of the day this sounds like something Logan came up with (Wendells the tech savvy one and IIRC he never said G-sync is dead), its based on an article that claims Intel supports free-sync which in itself shows a lack of understanding of the technology (much like how Logan calls it pretty much everything but adaptive-sync).

Personally I think (hope) we would be more likely to see G-sync and something like G-sync lite where lite is plain adaptive-sync support and G-sync has some extra bells and whistles which give us the choice of one or the other. I'd also expect the price gap to close when more screens add it and they finalise the design so they can justify the move from FPGA to ASIC.

Basically when Wendell says something listen but when Logan says something take it with a few grains of salt... he's the entertainment ;)

Personally I think (hope) we would be more likely to see G-sync and something like G-sync lite where lite is plain adaptive-sync and G-sync has some extra bells and whistles which give us the choice of one or the other. I'd also expect the price gap to close when more screens add it and they finalise the design so they can justify the move from FPGA to ASIC.

That's my biggest wonder. What can the gsync module do that would actually have a meaningful benefit over adaptive sync. 

Yes.

Proprietary Technology Needs To Die. The End.

That's my biggest wonder. What can the gsync module do that would actually have a meaningful benefit over adaptive sync.

I'm hoping for at least an implementation of ULMB, in theory they could do it and support sub 100Hz refresh rates without dimming (which they would need to do) by controlling the backlight algorithmically, if they aren't working on it I would be very disappointed. Time will tell though, unless they can get features like that the gap between G-sync and free-sync/adaptive-sync will be to small to justify the proprietary hardware and sadly I fear until they gap is justifiable they wont support adaptive-sync because they would be cannibalising a market they are still trying to grow.

No companies are willing to spend millions developing something that there rivals can just use for free right after they release it.

AMD

Google

Mozilla

DuckDuckGo

FreeRDP

VNC Developers

Novell

Canonical

Red Hat Corp

Manjaro Team

Motorola

ASUS DD-WRT

Giving a list of companies wont help, as we need to know what they made first and then if other companys are even using it.

Amd = Freesync

Google = Chromium + Android

Mozilla = Firefox + Thunderbird

DuckDuckGo = DuckDuckGo

FreeRDP = RDP Application under Apache 2.0

VNC Developers = OpenVNC Client

Novell = OpenSUSE

Canonical = Ubuntu

Red Hat Corp = Cent OS

Manjaro Team = Manjaro Linux

Motorola = THE ENTIRE MOBILE PHONE MARKET

ASUS = Open Source Router Firmware.

Amd = Freesync

Google = Chromium + Android

Mozilla = Firefox + Thunderbird

DuckDuckGo = DuckDuckGo

FreeRDP = RDP Application under Apache 2.0

VNC Developers = OpenVNC Client

Novell = OpenSUSE

Canonical = Ubuntu

Red Hat Corp = Cent OS

Manjaro Team = Manjaro Linux

Motorola = THE ENTIRE MOBILE PHONE MARKET

ASUS = Open Source Router Firmware.

Yes but call me back when AMD can deliver a decent card after overhyping and spending millions on advertising for nothing, ok?

Also, when Asus will deliver a FreeSync monitor that actually works, and doesn't have to be called back because it skips every 6th frame. Other than that, it only supports FreeSync up to 90hz.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

They'll have no choice other than to kill it unless they stop selling for price premiums, which they won't, because they're Nvidia. Once it becomes detrimental to their profit margins to keep selling Gsync panels (because at some point, the majority will be using Freesync), they would be stupid to keep it alive. I mean, all it would take is a single driver update and it would be supported. And on the subject of Mantle...

AMD's magic is DX12. Look at the tests they've been doing. DX12 is making AMD's cards fly. Anyone know why this is the case?

Because DX12 is based heavily on Mantle. Mantle itself is dead, but it isn't dead.

You say that but Nvidia has a much larger market share in GPU sales. So I doubt Freesync will take over anytime soon. If anything I predict G-Sync will stay dominant. It got in the market first and it's marketed better.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Like I care lol. I even tried IPS 7680x1440 144hz with G-SYNC can't get much better than that monitor setup.

G-SYNC and FreeSync are some marketingscams? Why? Because you don't need it at 144hz and nobody who calls themself an enthusiast gamer at 60hz.

Well that fucks that idea. Time for a 144Hz screen and a second GTX 970. (Rip 1080p 60Hz TN middle class-peasantry is relegated to my old 768p 85Hz IPS monitor and my Original Xbox-a true console from the days of PC peasants.).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL