What do YOU think of Unity3D? And the future of game engines like Unity?

**NOTE!** This is not a advertisement for Unity3D nor am I affiliated with Unity3D!

Alright so as the title has implied what do you think of Unity3D? and the future of indie friendly game engines like Unity?

With so many 3D and 2D game engines coming out that allow for rapid development, Unity is one of the top hits among indie developers and the likes. With Unity's 3D and 2D functionality you can make games in Unity to your hearts content because Unity's main language is C# it is very easy to begin scripting because lets admit it C# is a darn easy programming language! Now this is not to say that Unity isn't the only easy to use 3D and 2D game engine out there there is also Unreal Engine 4 which can give you stunning graphics with minimal work and with Unreal Engine 4's Blueprint visual scripting it is hands down another top hit among indie developers but it's undeniable that Unity's UI is more user friendly and with Unity 5. Unity can also sport some really stunning graphics. So what do you think of Unity?

This brings me to my last question what do you think of the future of Unity and the direction of these types of game engines as a whole?

Do you mean using Unity in terms of playing games that use that engine or in terms of working with it as a game developer?

Still prefer Unreal engine 4 but I guess Unity has gotten better. whats the pricing?

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Unity 3D is mostly used for shitty free games. However, I can't deny some games can take advantage of it.

Shitty free games?

The quality of the game is entirely dependent on the devs, not the game engine. The game engine just gives developers the tools they need.

Look at Ori and The Blind Forest. That game is SUPERB and made in Unity.

JijEe0ml7GmPC5WV.jpg

Anyway, I use Unity and I really like it. It's simple and everything makes sense. You get results quite easily, and it's free! Of course, now Unreal Engine is free as well, but I tried it and didn't enjoy as much as Unity honestly.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Shitty free games?

The quality of the game is entirely dependent on the devs, not the game engine. The game engine just gives developers the tools they need.

Look at Ori and The Blind Forest. That game is SUPERB and made in Unity.

Anyway, I use Unity and I really like it. It's simple and everything makes sense.

You failed to miss "mostly" and "However, I can't deny some games can take advantage of it."

READ. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Still prefer Unreal engine 4 but I guess Unity has gotten better. whats the pricing?

Unity is a free engine itself, although there is a Unity Pro

------
And... damn! This got ALOT of replies QUICK!!

I don't use unity, but that's partly because I don't do any game development at all. I probably will play around with it at some point. These game engines are a great as they provide the community with choice. If you wanna make your own game engine, then great go for it, but if you don't then there are still options available to you.

You failed to miss "mostly" and "However, I can't deny some games can take advantage of it."

READ. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.

Why do you have to be offensive?

I just pointed something out.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

READ. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.

You're failing to understand that if you're a new or a single developer learning 3D then Unity is the way to go due to its more simple learning curve as compared to Unreal.

You're failing to understand that if you're a new or a single developer learning 3D then Unity is the way to go due to its more simple learning curve as compared to Unreal.

I do agree with you at least for me I learned how to use Unity way quicker than Unreal.

Why do you have to be offensive?

I just pointed something out.

Okay, I'm sorry for going off. But still, I really didn't mean "in general".

That's not the point I was trying to make? I've messed with Unity and it was simpler than even Blender Game engine.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Game engines are generally oriented towards certain genres, with Unreal e.g. having a lot of pre-built tools for FPS and TPP games, has its own code-less "language" for scripting and is overall powerful as fuck.

Unity is not as powerful as an engine, but has much bigger community with tools to allow development of anything, anywhere on the platform.

I personally am not a fan of the drag and drop interface that doesn't expose you to all innards of an engine. I work in OGRE3D with a mix of plugins on code-level as a way to learn about engines, how they work, how to expand them etc.

It's more difficult, you can't slap a game together in a week, but you can build whatever you want however you want it to be.