4790k Vs 5820k

Which will be better for the money for gaming, some streaming, and some video editing? I'll be going off of KC Micro Center pricing.

The sixth core will help with the streaming and editing.  If your budget can support the CPU, x99 mobo and DDR4 ram, go for it.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Which will be better for the money for gaming, some streaming, and some video editing? I'll be going off of KC Micro Center pricing.

5820k cuz more cores and threads

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

depends, are you strictly gaming or editing/rendering/basically doing youtube. if your doing both then the 5820k and the ddr4 ram will help greatly

depends, are you strictly gaming or editing/rendering/basically doing youtube. if your doing both then the 5820k and the ddr4 ram will help greatly

A little of each really. Slowly working my way into it all. I do gaming right now on a i5 4460 but know it won't handle what I want as efficiently.

A little of each really. Slowly working my way into it all. I do gaming right now on a i5 4460 but know it won't handle what I want as efficiently.

if your doing little of each just go with the 4790k no point in wasteing your money on a x99 build and getting a cheap gpu

I wouldn't recommend the extra raw power unless you know for sure you're going to be needing workstation levels of performance.

Whenever someone says they do a "little bit of video editing" it means they game 90% of the time and do very light video editing 10% of the time. Are you a serious content creator who does video editing and rendering work as a living?

Also if you choose a 5820k it will perform noticeably worse in games due to it's lower clock-speed and single threaded performance

Save your money and spend it somewhere else.

Well I'll be getting into it heavier and heavier. I'll be buying 2 gtx 970's or R9 390's with this build as well. So I want to make sure it can handle the load.

At micro center, 5820ks are usually around the same price as 4790ks so price isn't an issue as long as you can afford the extra for X99 and DDR4.

I had to pick between the 2 and while the 4790k has a better per-core performance out of the box so it's better for gaming, a slightly overclocked 5820k will do wonders in any game, even tackling ARMA at pretty high settings. Set the 5820k to 4GHz and you're golden, basically. Any decent CPU cooler will handle it fine.

My PC: MSI X99s SLI PLUS///Intel i7 5820k///Corsair H100i///Crucial DDR4 12GB///EVGA Supernova Gold 750w G2///ASUS GTX 1080 Strix///Phanteks Enthoo Luxe///Intel 730 240GB SSD///WD Blue 1TB///Intel 6250 WiFi
Current Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598///Corsair K70 LUX///Logitech MX Master///Razer Destructor 2///Saitek X52///Acer X34 Predator

Whenever someone says they do a "little bit of video editing" it means they game 90% of the time and do very light video editing 10% of the time. Are you a serious content creator who does video editing and rendering work as a living?

Also if you choose a 5820k it will perform noticeably worse in games due to it's lower clock-speed and single threaded performance

Save your money and spend it somewhere else.

As a living? No. But eventually I'd like to move into it. I have a friend getting me into UE4 as well. Many different areas of interest. Who know.. could turn into something more. As of right now though it'll be pure hobby trying to turn it into a career.

Stock, yes. Overclocked, no.

Good chips can get up to 4.7Ghz "If you are lucky". I can only get mine to 4.6 at 1.45 around there. 

I quite like this video that Paul did that explains most of it ^-^

(5820K, and the 5930K are basically the same CPU's just a heads up if anyone is confused)

That is only if you overclock

Stock, yes. Overclocked, no.

Good chips can get up to 4.7Ghz "If you are lucky". I can only get mine to 4.6 at 1.45 around there. 

I quite like this video that Paul did that explains most of it ^-^

(5820K, and the 5930K are basically the same CPU's just a heads up if anyone is confused)

That is only if you overclock

Hmm i think 1.45v is way too much voltage o_O

Safe zone is about 1.3v for Haswell-E.

Ive heard most 5820k do only about 4-4.2ghz on air without a high risk of fast degration due to voltage and temps.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Ive heard most 5820k do only about 4-4.2ghz on air without a high risk of fast degration due to voltage and temps.

Yeah 1.45 is a lot. The max is around 1.4 IF and ONLY IF you are underwater. 4.6 at 1.45 was the max I could get my chip to go 24/7 stable, but the degrees kept on hitting the 80 mark. 

My 24/7 clock is 4.4 at 1.325.

and in air it probably gets too hot to get it to the 4790K range. Those added cores tend to kick out heat like mad. 

Yeah 1.45 is a lot. The max is around 1.4 IF and ONLY IF you are underwater. 4.6 at 1.45 was the max I could get my chip to go 24/7 stable, but the degrees kept on hitting the 80 mark. 

My 24/7 clock is 4.4 at 1.325.

and in air it probably gets too hot to get it to the 4790K range. Those added cores tend to kick out heat like mad. 

I think I'm going to go with the 4790k and use the extra money towards better cooling and gpu. Seems like the most logical way to go for right now. Now to decide on a R9 390 or gtx 970..

I think I'm going to go with the 4790k and use the extra money towards better cooling and gpu. Seems like the most logical way to go for right now. Now to decide on a R9 390 or gtx 970..

It's funny because I am on the same boat as you, either the i7-6700k or 5820k. Mainly gaming and light streaming/editing. A lot of people like to recommend the 5820k, but I decided to go with the former because if it is just a hobby, I would just start there. If your hobby starts catching momentum, then by that time you can start considering moving up to whatever 6-core processor Intel has. That is just my opinion by the way :P

You'be been using a 4 core all your life. Time for something new, get a 6 core. Get a 5820K!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

It's funny because I am on the same boat as you, either the i7-6700k or 5820k. Mainly gaming and light streaming/editing. A lot of people like to recommend the 5820k, but I decided to go with the former because if it is just a hobby, I would just start there. If your hobby starts catching momentum, then by that time you can start considering moving up to whatever 6-core processor Intel has. That is just my opinion by the way :P

That's the same conclusion I came to. Just makes too much sense. What gpu did you end up going with?

That's the same conclusion I came to. Just makes too much sense. What gpu did you end up going with?

I went with the 980 at the time, and planning to SLI. The 300 series wasn't released yet, and the 980 Ti debut and also the price drop. I am planning to SLI because I am getting a 1440p 144 hz monitor. 

I went with the 980 at the time, and planning to SLI. The 300 series wasn't released yet, and the 980 Ti debut and also the price drop. I am planning to SLI because I am getting a 1440p 144 hz monitor. 

Ah ok. I just got a 1080p 144hz monitor about 2 weeks ago. I definitely need a new gpu with this build because my 7950 doesn't really give me what I want consistently. Figure I'll just rebuild everything and start in on something I've been wanting to do for a while now. Just having a hard time deciding on the last component which is the gpu(s).

Ah ok. I just got a 1080p 144hz monitor about 2 weeks ago. I definitely need a new gpu with this build because my 7950 doesn't really give me what I want consistently. Figure I'll just rebuild everything and start in on something I've been wanting to do for a while now. Just having a hard time deciding on the last component which is the gpu(s).

If I were you, I would go with the R9 390. Similar price, similar performance, but the 8gb VRAM definitely looks interesting. Then again you can't go wrong with either in 1080p gaming.

If I were you, I would go with the R9 390. Similar price, similar performance, but the 8gb VRAM definitely looks interesting. Then again you can't go wrong with either in 1080p gaming.

Yeah I'm kind of leaning towards the 390, especially with these DX12 videos coming out recently I don't think I can go wrong.

Yeah I'm kind of leaning towards the 390, especially with these DX12 videos coming out recently I don't think I can go wrong.

Good luck on your endeavors!

390 is the better choice if you dont mind power consumption. 

I bought a 1080p 144hz monitor together with a gtx970 g1. But this was 3month before 390 was released.

And i think if it wouldnt i would still get the 970, because i like this efficient card.

In addition everything bought was planned to be able to add a 2nd card if needed. (or gets cheap)

So i only have an EVGA Supernova G2 750w PSU. Which wouldnt be enough for 2x 390 xfire.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |