Quarterly GPU sales - AMD falls 26%, Intel 7.4%, nVidia 16%

source: http://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/2048-amd-nvid-and-intel-fall-in-quarterly-gpu-sales

Jon Peddie Research today released a report indicating an 11% decline last quarter's GPU shipments.

The report indicates that embedded GPUs and IGPs are eroding dGPU sales. Year-to-year total GPU shipments fell 18.8%, combining the 21.7% desktop graphics decline with a 16.9% notebook dGPU decline. Note that this report represents the entire dedicated graphics industry

graphics-chip-market-shares.png
PRFig2.JPG

AMD has fallen 25.8% in sales volume over last quarter, a combination of APU, dGPU, and notebook deployments. Individual verticals are ranked as:
  • +25% quarterly growth in APU volume.
  • -53.3% decline in APU notebook deployment.
  • -33.3% decline in discrete GPU (graphics card) sales.
  • -9.1% decline in discrete notebook GPU sales.

---

as I already suspected a while back, because integrated graphics have become more powerful from both AMD and Intel, the trend to sell low-end discrete graphic cards is in decline

additional data: http://jonpeddie.com/publications/market_watch/

Intel’s desktop processor embedded graphics (EPGs) shipments decreased from last quarter by -7.4%, and notebooks decreased by -7.3%. The company’s overall PC graphics shipments decreased -7.4% from last quarter.

Nvidia’s desktop discrete shipments were down -12.03% from last quarter; and the company’s notebook discrete shipments decreased -21.6%. The company’s overall PC graphics shipment decreased -16.2% from last quarter. The company saw strength in gaming from Western Europe and China which helped it buck a down quarter for the industry.

Total discrete GPU (desktop and notebook) shipments from the last quarter decreased -17.07% and decreased -26.27% from last year. Sales of discrete GPUs fluctuate due to a variety of factors (timing, memory pricing, etc.), new product introductions, and the influence of integrated graphics. Overall, the CAGR from 2014 to 2017 is now -6%

some OEMs blamed Microsoft for low new hardware sales because of Windows 10 free upgrade - somewhat, yes, it's true
people wanted to see if and how their existing hardware will perform in DX12 vs DX11 before deciding to buy, or not, new hardware

I guess this goes to show how (relatively) well AMD's low end cards sell.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

wait. why is the diffrence between AMD and Nvidia sales 2%? I thought the gap was HUGEEEEE. or am I looking at this wrong?

Nothing surprising here. AMD lost share of APU's to Intel. Hopefully this will turn with ZEN next year.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

wait. why is the diffrence between AMD and Nvidia sales 2%? I thought the gap was HUGEEEEE. or am I looking at this wrong?

in dGPUs yes. But add in APUs and if you do like they did here and counted the iGPU on intels SOCs then no, not huge gap.

Also, 200 series dropping in price radically, 300 series undercuts the 900 series a bit thus AMD sales increases a little.

what you're looking at is total market share, not specifically discrete graphics cards (a.k.a. AIB - add-in boards)

in dGPUs yes. But add in APUs and if you do like they did here and counted the iGPU on intels SOCs then no, not huge gap.

Also, 200 series dropping in price radically, 300 series undercuts the 900 series a bit thus AMD sales increases a little.

what you're looking at is total market share, not specifically discrete graphics cards (a.k.a. AIB - add-in boards)

ah thank you

Intel please show some mercy and end AMDs slow death.

Why not Nvidia first ? It would make much more sense. 

Does this mean if we are regarding Steam Hardware Survey Video Card usage (Nvidia 52,47%, Intel 19,69% and AMD 27,34%) with further assuming that every Nvidia-card-owner is using Steam (because they have no APU), that about 6,67% of Intel-owners and 68,80% of AMD-owners are using Steam?

BacardiRoqs

Intel please show some mercy and end AMDs slow death.

Can we stop with these bloody stupid comments please. They are fucking everywhere when the word AMD is anywhere in the news section, please we get it, amd isn't doing well. Unless their server chips fail (which they probably won't) AMD isn't going anywhere.

Nothing surprising here. AMD lost share of APU's to Intel. Hopefully this will turn with ZEN next year.

Unless AMD fixes the terrible management of launches (explain carrizo) I don't think much is going to change to change in the future. AMD never really had much share expect in the lower end models

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Can we stop with these bloody stupid comments please. They are fucking everywhere when the word AMD is anywhere in the news section, please we get it, amd isn't doing well. Unless their server chips fail (which they probably won't) AMD isn't going anywhere.

Unless AMD fixes the terrible management of launches (explain carrizo) I don't think much is going to change to change in the future. AMD never really had much share expect in the lower end models

ATI alone was almost double as much worth than current AMD there is no way around them being bought out by another company or going bankrupt as they simply have not enough resources to compete.

To put it in some perspective how small AMD now is compared to Intel and Nvidia:

AMD:   $1.4 Billion (AMD is currently less worth than Minecraft)

Nvidia: $12.5 Billion

Intel:    $138.2 Billion

RTX2070OC 

I feel sorry for AMD, I think they are truly stuffed right about now. I don't want to believe it, but probably in the next decade, or even less, AMD, or the AMD that we know won't  exist. 

And this isn't just from this news, there are a lot signs that AMD isn't doing to well floating around. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Seems like the opportune moment for a certain Korean firm to purchase AMD.

Seems like the opportune moment for a certain Korean firm to purchase AMD.

Won't happen. The U.S. would never allow something as vital to national security and economic interest as x86_64 to fall into the hands of a foreign firm practically in bed with China. Hell, no.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Won't happen. The U.S. would never allow something as vital to national security and economic interest as x86_64 to fall into the hands of a foreign firm practically in bed with China. Hell, no.

Aslong as microsoft doesnt buy it, ill be happy.

Microsoft simply corrupts everything they get ahold of.

Examples: Skype, Nokia and various other small companies. (probably minecraft too, just you wait)

I think he was talking about Samsung and South Korea isn't in bed with China they are with the US.

RTX2070OC 

I think he was talking about Samsung and South Korea isn't in bed with China they are with the US.

Samsung is heavily in bed with China right now, especially Huawei. Just because it's based in SK doesn't mean that's where its loyalty lies.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Samsung is heavily in bed with China right now, especially Huawei. Just because it's based in SK doesn't mean that's where its loyalty lies.

Intel sold Xeons to china to make super computer. How do they stand in this then :P

Intel sold Xeons to china to make super computer. How do they stand in this then :P

Business is business, and Intel sells to everyone since the whole world uses x86-based infrastructure. That's sort of a given. Samsung is actually tied to China much more tightly in manufacturing and monetary exchanges.

Business is business, and Intel sells to everyone since the whole world uses x86-based infrastructure. That's sort of a given. Samsung is actually tied to China much more tightly in manufacturing and monetary exchanges.

outside of microprocessors and metal.

What does china not make these days?

they got everyone in their bed. Its a bloody orgy.

outside of microprocessors and metal.

What does china not make these days?

they got everyone in their bed. Its a bloody orgy.

Wood (other than bamboo flooring), concrete, hardwire networking infrastructure (ethernet, infiniband, omnipath, etc..), musical instruments (unless you're a cheap musician), and a few other things.

Wood (other than bamboo flooring), concrete, hardwire networking infrastructure (ethernet, infiniband, omnipath, etc..), musical instruments (unless you're a cheap musician), and a few other things.

well few is the keyword here. There is not a whole lot left before everything is made in china.

well few is the keyword here. There is not a whole lot left before everything is made in china.

It'll be a while before China is making GOOD suits, or dresses for that matter. And as China's labor costs rise and rising gas prices keep shipping costs high, China's economy will implode, and the "made in China" moniker will disappear at least for a few years.