How To Tell If a Supercharger Will Fit?

Guest Philosophy

I have a 5.0L Mustang GT. I would like to know if a super charger from a V8 Buick would work on it. My Parents are scrapping the old Buick pretty soon because it has become an annoyance. Does any supercharger fit on any car? 

@techswede, @AlwaysFSX, @terrytek

With enough tinkering it should fit

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

With enough tinkering it should fit

I am quite good at tinkering xP 

I have a 5.0L Mustang GT. I would like to know if a super charger from a V8 Buick would work on it. My Parents are scrapping the old Buick pretty soon because it has become an annoyance. Does any supercharger fit on any car? 

Well what year is it (get used to including that because it is VERY important). Also what kind of supercharger is it? If it is a centrifugal supercharge it MAY work but would probably need a custom brakcet. Also if it is a turbo then I'm sure you could use the base turbo but would need custom downpipes and intercooler piping all that jazz. Either options probably aren't worth it and adding forced induction to an N/A engine requires a lot other mods to make it work correctly.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Is it a centrifugal or a roots-style?  If it's roots you may have trouble finding a place to put it and you might need a new intake depending on how the supercharger's designed.  If it's centrifugal then you should just be able to make a bracket, get a belt, and run a pipe.  Don't forget about tuning and all that other stuff though!  Having a big air pump and a blown engine is no fun.

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

srry if this is off topic, but what year mustang?

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Well what year is it (get used to including that because it is VERY important). Also what kind of supercharger is it? If it is a centrifugal supercharge it MAY work but would probably need a custom brakcet. Also if it is a turbo then I'm sure you could use the base turbo but would need custom downpipes and intercooler piping all that jazz. Either options probably aren't worth it and adding forced induction to an N/A engine requires a lot other mods to make it work correctly.

BAM probably the best answer here.

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

Technically. Yes

But there are many things to consider. 

There must be an intake manifold or bracket for the stock manifold that you can mount the supercharger to that fits onto the engine.

Can your internals handle boost?

Is the supercharger the right size for your engine?

Can you tune the engine so you get the right fuel/air mixture?

et cetera et cetera

I'd suggest taking the supercharger off the buick and then consulting a professional.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I know the mustang is a 1995, the Buick is a 1990s (Not sure which year), It is a centrifugal supercharger. 

Technically. Yes

There must be an intake manifold or bracket for the stock manifold that you can mount the supercharger to that fits onto the engine.

et cetera et cetera

I'd suggest taking the supercharger off the buick and then consulting a professional.

I agree ^ 

No offense to anyone on this forum but I would still consult a "Professional" My minor was in automotive technology, their is a lot more information needed and preparation to installing a supercharger, and could your engine even handle the extra power? 

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Technically. Yes

et cetera et cetera

Will do, my dad is real good at this sort of thing. He used to do this a lot as a kid. But since he is dealing with my daily driver, he wants to be uber careful. Normally I would not Supercharge a car with 100K miles, but this car has a new transmission (2 years ago) and the engine has good compression and no leaks. 

I agree ^ 

No offense to anyone on this forum but I would still consult a "Professional" My minor was in automotive technology, their is a lot more information needed and preparation to installing a supercharger, and could your engine even handle the extra power? 

The engine should be able to, not much over 100K and it has great compression and no leaks, oil or otherwise. And a new transmission. 

srry if this is off topic, but what year mustang?

Its a 1995 GT. 

The engine should be able to, not much over 100K and it has great compression and no leaks, oil or otherwise. And a new transmission. 

That doesn't mean anything, not every stock engine can handle one...

Is it on stock tune or custom tune ? 

I'm not saying you can't, you can just be careful.. I've seen a lot of kids blow their motor by pushing it too far. 

if it's 2x tune then I grantee you will fuck something up. 

My toyota tacoma has 400k miles and I put a supercharger on it around 320k. Mileage has nothing to do with it, in no way shape or form. 

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

That doesn't mean anything, not every stock engine can handle one...

Is it on stock tune or custom tune ? 

I'm not saying you can't, you can just be careful.. I've seen a lot of kids blow their motor by pushing it too far. 

if it's 2x tune then I grantee you will fuck something up. 

Nah, it'd be low. I mean even on the Buick the supercharger doesn't do a whole lot. I am a little smarter than a kid, too. I am 21 for garsh sake :) I'd probably do a custom tune. 

Nah, it'd be low. I mean even on the Buick the supercharger doesn't do a whole lot. I am a little smarter than a kid, too. I am 21 for garsh sake :) I'd probably do a custom tune. 

I'm 21??

Age doesn't make anyone smarter lol, not saying anything lol.

I'm just trying to help , I've been working in a garage with my dad since I was a kid and I have an associate degree in Automotive. 

I'm just saying be careful lol, if you ever want to race shoot me a message. I've got a 71 custom deluxe with a 498 :)

I'm 21

I'm 23

Bow down to the wisdom that comes with age

wnod.gif

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I'm 23

Bow down to the wisdom that comes with age

wnod.gif

Who's got more facial hair we will go off that lol, I haven't shaved in a month. 

Can you give us more info on the supercharger?  

If it's a centrifugal supercharger, it will certainly fit. The remaining two important questions become:

1) How much work will it be?

2) Is this a good idea?

These are far more important than "will it fit?"

Who's got more facial hair we will go off that lol, I haven't shaved in a month. 

I'm 25, but shaved this morning :(

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Naaw.. Unfair.. I just shaved  <_<

I'm 21??

Age doesn't make anyone smarter lol, not saying anything lol.

I'm just trying to help , I've been working in a garage with my dad since I was a kid and I have an associate degree in Automotive. 

I'm just saying be careful lol, if you ever want to race shoot me a message. I've got a 71 custom deluxe with a 498 :)

I was giving you a hard time, LOL. I was just saying I am not a kid, I think things thru before I do them. I have no doubt your automotive repair penis is bigger than mine. 

Can you give us more info on the supercharger?  

If it's a centrifugal supercharger, it will certainly fit. The remaining two important questions become:

1) How much work will it be?

2) Is this a good idea?

These are far more important than "will it fit?"

I think that makes me better than

I shaved this morning also... I have some nice sideburns...