Who still doesnt have an ssd?

spwath

In the mind of UvularCaep, Everything = Boot times and Load times.

Of course! Everything goes much faster and smoother, and for extra storage I have other hdd's.

Let's say I wanted to have a 2 hour gaming session. Boot on PC, open game, annnnnd SSD is useless now. I don't know about you, but I am not opening and closing programs every 5 seconds. And SSD gives you about 2 min max more productivity/gaming time.

You have a game with loading screens? Skyrim? DA:I? Halo. Everything...

I've spent HOURS with hard drives on Elder scroll game loading screens alone. SSD's make all of that massively insanely faster.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Other than boot times and load times.... That is literally the majority of the shit you wait for... 

Open office? SSD makes it so so so much faster. Loading screen in a game? So so so much faster. 

SSD's let you actually do what you got on the computer to do instead of sitting around waiting for it to let you.

Say its a 10-20 (and that's being really really generous to hard drives) second difference when opening word, and you open word about once every other day. Over the course of two years you save a hour of time, and massive frustration.

And the access times... upwards of 2-6 seconds versus a max load time of only a few milliseconds.

OK you are being stupid now. £50 MINIMUM for 30min saved over a year.. YAY LETS DO IT OMG IT IS A AMAZING GUYS HYPE HYPE HYPE. Also you are severely underestimating HDDs. I have a WD Blue, and can open word in under 10 seconds, easily.

OK you are being stupid now. £50 MINIMUM for 30min saved over a year.. YAY LETS DO IT OMG IT IS A AMAZING GUYS HYPE HYPE HYPE. Also you are severely underestimating HDDs. I have a WD Blue, and can open word in under 10 seconds, easily.

It's every single action. Everything.... Hell I've noticed significantly better resource utilization when torrenting in the background (only completely legal and opensource stuff btw...) And playing games, where on my hdd only build access times clog up and make everything else super slow.

The single biggest thing though is going to be loading screens like I said. Hours on skyrim, hours on Swtor, hours on da:I... The little time transactions add up so fast....

It's the idea of opportunity cost really. I tend to value my time at about 10 dollars an hour, which makes ssds absolute no brainers over the course of their life span.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

It's every single action. Everything.... Hell I've noticed significantly better resource utilization when torrenting in the background (only completely legal and opensource stuff btw...) And playing games, where on my hdd only build access times clog up and make everything else super slow.

The single biggest thing though is going to be loading screens like I said. Hours on skyrim, hours on Swtor, hours on da:I... The little time transactions add up so fast....

It's the idea of opportunity cost really. I tend to value my time at about 10 dollars an hour, which makes ssds absolute no brainers over the course of their life span.

I have never torrented so I wouldn't know. As for games, SSDs are good there, until you realise that to fit a decent no. of games you need a bigger SSD. And IMO anything over 250GB is too expensive ATM.

I have never torrented so I wouldn't know. As for games, SSDs are good there, until you realise that to fit a decent no. of games you need a bigger SSD. And IMO anything over 250GB is too expensive ATM.

Even if you only put 7 games like skyrin or da:I on there you'd get massive performance savings.

Also a 1tb m500 ssd is available for 170 dollars atm so that's pretty darn good (only about 80 dollars more than a good ....greens are not good....hdd of the same capacity and more than enough storage for a crap load of games.

I mean I guess it depends on your cost benefit ratios, but for me at least it's instantely worth it to go ssd (for everything except mass picture and video storage)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Even if you only put 7 games like skyrin or da:I on there you'd get massive performance savings.

Also a 1tb m500 ssd is available for 170 dollars atm so that's pretty darn good (only about 80 dollars more than a good ....greens are not good....hdd of the same capacity and more than enough storage for a crap load of games.

I mean I guess it depends on your cost benefit ratios, but for me at least it's instantely worth it to go ssd (for everything except mass picture and video storage)

The cheapest where I live is £220 ($342), sooo.

I have one 840 Evo 500GB, and am waiting for a good deal on an 850 Evo 500GB to put in raid 0 with my 840 for more space.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

still using my wd black as a boot drive, i put my pc to sleep mostly so i dont need an ssd as the speed is good enough for me

Until prices drop more, realistically speaking common use there is barely any noticeable difference, for laptops I say the best gains is battery life and shock protection.

I'll wait before putting one in a desktop for now, I can wait the 30-45sec boot time vs 10-12. Shoot I remember the back when it took 5-8mins from my Dads 386DX to boot, So ya i'm good.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

One Sandisk Extreme 2 480 SSD in my main PC, a Crucial M400 240GB SSD in my laptop, and one 240GB Sandisk Extreme Pro in my NAS/server.

Once you go SSD, you never go back. I plan on getting a few more Sandisk Extremes to use as Cache for the server.

I had a old Plextor 240GB M2S that I gave to a friend to replace her dying laptop hard drive.

I still don't have one. I really want one though. My friend has an ssd in his system and I love the responsiveness of everything. And my particular hard drive that i'm using is SO DAMN LOUD it drives me nuts. However i'm still on an LGA775/680i platform which only has SATA 2, so I wouldn't be getting the full benifit. I'm also just starting a new build so i'll buy one when I make progress on that.

MY BUILD LOG

Instagram: @enz0man