Upgraded to Windows 10, now my Microphone is borked and distorted

Buddhaz Priest

So like my title says, i updated to windows 10 and everything has been going great and peachy until today when I decided to use my mic in a game for the first time. It is absolutely garbled. I can't understand anything it's picking up and it's unbelievably distorted. I've tried 2 separate mics, same results on both, I tried the mic jack on the front of my system, and the back, I tried uninstalling my Realtek HD audio drivers and using the windows default software with no luck, and I even went to my MoBo's manufacturer website, downloaded the updated driver for my sound card and  had no luck with it either.

Anyone else have these issues, and know of a good fix? I've heard from people online that a dedicated soundcard, USB or PCI, fixed the problem for them. I have a ASRock Game Blaster that came with my PC but I moved and it has somehow vanished in the move... you know how that goes... And I would really prefer not to have to purchase a sound card, so if that's the only option, great I'll buy an Asus Xonar or something but that is a last resort I think.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. You guys have never let me down on this forum before, so lets see what you've got :)

My system:

i7-3820

ASRock x79 Extreme 6/GB

16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z series @ 2133 MHz

Galaxy Geforce GTX 680

and I'm just using a Steelseries Siberia V2 headset. All analog, no USB sound card or anything.

-snip-

Not exactly the same problem, my mic doesn't work even though it's detected but every time I restart my puter I need to install or uninstall my realtek drivers :/

Could be the fix for you.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers from my manufacturer's disk, and installing via the updated drivers, and now when I go in through the realtek HD audio software, and click "listen to device" with the recording volume cranked all the way up it's really quiet, but at least it's not garbled. but when I go into the Windows "audio device" settings, and open up the mic in there and click "listen to device" it still sounds garbled as all hell, and my brother says that via Steam voice chat it's super garbled too... So idk what the heck is going on.

And also on this note, IF a new sound card is the only solution, anyone have any recommendations? I'd like to keep it sub-$100 but I don't know a ton about sound cards, so I'm open to recommendations of all kinds.

Someone here is gonna ask you to do a fresh Installation of Windows 10 and update all the drivers.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

This also happened to me with my Razer Kraken Chroma 7.1. What I had to do was right click on your volume control, go to recording devices, click on your mic, click on properties, click advanced and change your sample rate to the highest it can go. You could also do that for your default playback device if you really wanted to. Hope this helped ;)

This also happened to me with my Razer Kraken Chroma 7.1. What I had to do was right click on your volume control, go to recording devices, click on your mic, click on properties, click advanced and change your sample rate to the highest it can go. You could also do that for your default playback device if you really wanted to. Hope this helped ;)

unfortunately the problem still stands.

need newer drivers...

what audio chipset you got?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

need newer drivers...

what audio chipset you got?

ASRock Game Blaster

GameBlaster(L).jpg

Unleash Your Maximum Gaming Power

Supporting Creative Sound Core3D 7.1 CH HD audio and Broadcom gigabit lan via the bundled ASRock Game Blaster, ASRock motherboard could give the extreme value for serious gamers!

Creative Sound Core3D Audio

•7.1 CH HD Audio, Sample Rate : 192KHz / 24-Bit

• CrystalVoice

• Scout Mode

• EAX1.0 to EAX5.0

• Premium Headset Amplifier (PHA)

• Full Blu-ray Profile 2.0 Audio Decoder Support

GameBlaster-SoundCore3D.jpgQuad Core Audio Processor (DSP) - Improves System Performance

• Independent audio processing capability and zero-waste of CPU utilization

• Capable of both time and frequency domain audio processing 

• Advanced modes optimized for hardware acceleration

GameBlaster-ScoutMode.jpgScout Mode™ - Hear the enemy before they hear you

Scout Mode™ technology is a proprietary technology that allows you to hear your enemies from further away, giving you a distinct tactical advantage in combat.

GameBlaster-PHA.jpgPremium Headset Amplifier (PHA)

For serious gamers and enthusiasts who cannot tolerate mediocre audio, PHA (Premium Headset Amplifier) provides wider bandwidth, higher slew rate with lower noise and distortion. It also supports up to 250 Ohm high-end headsets, which delivers crisper audio into the users ears.

Note: PHA is only supported with front audio.

Broadcom Gigabit LAN

• Wirespeed performance increases user performance 

• Extremely low power consumption enables environment-friendly designs

GameBlaster-desc.jpg

the one that comes with the z79 extreme9 board. I tried having windows update my drivers with still no luck. I downloaded my drivers from http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79%20Extreme9/?cat=Download&os=Win1064

I'm using the mobo's built in Realtek HD audio chipset, I'll try doing the sample rate change as soon as I can, but I'm not using the game blaster that came with it because the thing was awful and inconsistent. It sounded great, but it would constantly disconnect itself, and if I unplugged my computer or jostled it, I'd lose audio, and I know it wasn't in incorrectly. So I have up on it. I was constantly having to uninstall and reinstall drivers for that thing. I frankly don't see how a fresh install would help here, unless the older Windows 7 audio drivers are causing a pain, but I removed the Windows.old and I'm using the updated drivers from the web that it says are compatible with Windows 10 pro 64 bit.

I'm using the mobo's built in Realtek HD audio chipset, I'll try doing the sample rate change as soon as I can, but I'm not using the game blaster that came with it because the thing was awful and inconsistent. It sounded great, but it would constantly disconnect itself, and if I unplugged my computer or jostled it, I'd lose audio, and I know it wasn't in incorrectly. So I have up on it. I was constantly having to uninstall and reinstall drivers for that thing. I frankly don't see how a fresh install would help here, unless the older Windows 7 audio drivers are causing a pain, but I removed the Windows.old and I'm using the updated drivers from the web that it says are compatible with Windows 10 pro 64 bit.

Weird. I am using the game blaster thingy because the extreme9 does not have onboard audio (or like anything else lol) and I have the same issue with the mic. I too used the windows 10 drivers.

Weird. I am using the game blaster thingy because the extreme9 does not have onboard audio (or like anything else lol) and I have the same issue with the mic. I too used the windows 10 drivers.

you need the 1009 drivers

I just helped someone with this yesterday

Recon3D & Recon3Di PCIe Version Version 6.0.102.1009

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=select&id=59

you need the 1009 drivers

I just helped someone with this yesterday

Recon3D & Recon3Di PCIe Version Version 6.0.102.1009

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=select&id=59

so I uninstalled the old drivers, rebooted, and installed this:

post-128204-0-62220000-1439867627_thumb.

rebooted again and this is what my control panel version looks like:

post-128204-0-33972700-1439867634.png

And it is still messed up. both the front and back mic ports and I have tried every sampling rate. Any other ideas other than applying percussive maintenance to my PC?

it says the board us using realtek..according to

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79%20Extreme6/?cat=Download&os=Win8a

in which case

that creative driver is the wrong one

do you remember if its creative or realtek?

it says the board us using realtek..according to

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79%20Extreme6/?cat=Download&os=Win8a

in which case

that creative driver is the wrong one

do you remember if its creative or realtek?

mine is the extreme9 which has no onboard audio. OP is using the onboard so realtek (NOT the ASSrock turd blaster)

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers from my manufacturer's disk, and installing via the updated drivers, and now when I go in through the realtek HD audio software, and click "listen to device" with the recording volume cranked all the way up it's really quiet

Did you disable the communications thing of Windows before testing?

windows-sound-communications-volume.jpg

Another thing that could be causing audio issues, is if your mic's bit depth in both Windows and Realtek control panel differ from each other.

By that I mean, if it's set at 16bit 44100 Hz in the windows sound settings but it's set to 24 bit 48000 Hz in the realtek control panel.

I didn't have that issue with a mic, but for me that was an issue that I had with my actual Audio output, where windows bit depth settings didn't match the setting in the Asus control panel of my sound card, audio sounded like trash.

NmaHOHw.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Both those settings are set up that way, no dice, still the same problem. I think I'm just gonna use this as an excuse to buy a new sound card. I've wanted to for a while and thanks to this problem the wife gave me the go ahead so even if I fix it I might just not tell her lol

it is a driver problem...but he probably doesn't wanna bother fixing it

i do though. I dont have any pci express sound cards except for the game blasters

so are you using realtek or creative?

I have the exact same problem and tried everything (new drivers, old drivers, gameblaster, onboard audi), mic keeps distorted no solution.

X79Extreme 6GB

I have the exact same problem and tried everything (new drivers, old drivers, gameblaster, onboard audi), mic keeps distorted no solution.

X79Extreme 6GB

ass rock and microstupid need to get their collective poop in a group.