Would you give up....

Go to solution Solved by arvark,

Non reference, although the Refernce is sexy.

Would you guys rather have non reference card (ex Strix) would you rather have the sexy reference card, I feel like some of the reference cards are extremely under appreciated, that's kind of why I want to go with the look, and yes, I do look at my case that much, Vote here http://strawpoll.me/5211345 or post what you would pick, if you would give up the performance for the reference card, ect,  

~Thanks!

prev_PNY-Graphics-Cards-GeForce-GTX-980T Or  something like  GTX980TiHOFEX_04-500x332.jpg

Because they look shit, cool like shit and overclock like shit.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Completely depends on the card. 

GTX 7xx and up, reference. Any other, Non-reference

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Reference cards are lame and bad (unless looking at extremely airflow limited cases /sli builds because blowers do deal with space constraints better.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Completely depends on the card. 

GTX 7xx and up, reference. Any other, Non-reference

For this sake were using 980Ti

REFERENCE FTW

cause i like to watercool things  :D

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Non reference, although the Refernce is sexy.

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

Reference cuz sexi

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Turnip. Reason: It depends: Reference cards can give you better cooling when you have a really small case with bad airflow. If that's not the case the custom cards are more quieter and provide better cooling solutions.

This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons. 

I prefer the look of the modern reference cards from both the green and red teams...I think they look sexy as hell. It all depends on the type of build I am doing. If I really need the heat to leave the case for example like for a lan party rig I think I would go with reference but if I had room I would go aftermarket as a general rule of thumb. 

For this sake were using 980Ti

Why would anyone offer 10-20% performance for a shitty looking cooler :D

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Non-reference cards are easier to color match with the rest of your build. They are usually black/white + red/blue/black.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

Omfg no

HOLY THROTTLING BATMAN

980Ti reference during Summer:

5220b7d8afa96f326c000085.jpg?w=400

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Usually they are more or less very similarily priced, non reference give higher clock and memory speeds, better cooling and kinda look cooler imo. So non-reference all the way for me

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

980Ti reference during Summer:

5220b7d8afa96f326c000085.jpg?w=400

Well you most certainly don't have central air xD

I've never seen someone try so desperately to bait people.

Stop.

Opinion stfu

The looks of it is a opinion, the performance and cooling is not.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Omfg no

HOLY THROTTLING BATMAN

You want the definition of thermal throttling?

Reference Titan X

Ahahah 

I mean, As long as it doesn't start to catch on fire xD, like that hot, I personally could care less because 1440p and 1080, Just maxing settings or near max at 1440 is All I would look to do, Nothing like max at 4k, And Like I said above, I could  easily save up some cash for the HG10 cooling bracket and slap that on, and it wouldn't be as horrible 

Turnip. Reason: It depends: Reference cards can give you better cooling when you have a really small case with bad airflow. If that's not the case the custom cards are more quieter and provide better cooling solutions.

Agree with you there, Reference cards would probably do better in my Mid, and TBH, my fans don't really kick in too much unless I do benchmarks  

Because ACX 2.0 

I have owned a 680 reference and a 780ti reference and finally I got a 980 EVGA acx card and man I won't buy another reference card, they are just to loud. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Reference card!!!!

Non-reference.

For both nVidia and AMD, non-reference open air-type coolers are significantly cooler and quieter than the same video card running a reference cooler.

SSD vs HDD Direct Comparison - Identical Drive Images | SSD Boots Windows 7 + Load 27 Apps in 1 Minute | 17 Second Boot - POST to Desktop
Razer Blade 14 (2015) | Core i7-4720HQ | 8GB RAM | GeForce 970M | 500GB M.2 SSD | 14.1" 1920x1080 Display | 4.19 lbs

You want the definition of thermal throttling?

Reference Titan X

Ahahah 

I mean, As long as it doesn't start to catch on fire xD, like that hot, I personally could care less because 1440p and 1080, Just maxing settings or near max at 1440 is All I would look to do, Nothing like max at 4k, And Like I said above, I could  easily save up some cash for the HG10 cooling bracket and slap that on, and it wouldn't be as horrible 

Titan X has same TDP and temps like a 980Ti.

Both are 86C at normal ambient temperature, so +95C during summer.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU