Anyone else feel like half their posts are about recommending decent PSUs?

bpw87

It seems like every time I come on here I'm trying to help someone choose a decent quality PSU or talk them out of cheap crappy PSUs.

I think a lot of the issue is people seem to think the 80+ rating system is about how good a PSU is overall.

tgrbCnr.jpg

Nah, I don´t feel like that.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

nope, i tend to avoid reccomending psu because there are so many ones that are good its hard to suggest them. i just say go gold and modular and dont get the cheapest one

I have noticed there are massive PSU snobs on here though, like the RM series, heck Jonny Guru gave the RM850 it 9.2 and people still tell you

its shit, he also gave the CX430 a 9 /10 and lots of other sites review them very highly

Its a bloody PSU, 99% of the time any of them will work fine, perfectly reliable for a decent length of time, as long as its not some unbranded brown box for $5 its probably going to be fine

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have noticed there are massive PSU snobs on here though, like the RM series, heck Jonny Guru gave the RM850 it 9.2 and people still tell you

its shit, he also gave the CX430 a 9 /10 and lots of other sites review them very highly

Its a bloody PSU, 99% of the time any of them will work fine, perfectly reliable for a decent length of time, as long as its not some unbranded brown box for $5 its probably going to be fine

There are PSU snobs? What has this world come to??? I mean graphics cards sure, processors sure; PSU's though?

nope, i tend to avoid reccomending psu because there are so many ones that are good its hard to suggest them. i just say go gold and modular and dont get the cheapest one

Best advice ever. Stick with your well-known brands, make sure it's covered with store-insurance as long as it's not too expensive*.

*Mine's a good fiver and they just replace it if it fucks itself over or I break it - lasts two weeks, a whole two years if It was genuinely faulty (and the two years are just generic warranty, so free).

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Nah, I don´t feel like that.

I got burned with a bad PSU a few years back and never really got over it.

The RM is shit! They use a bad OEM and are only rated at an ambient temp of 35c otherwise they just shut down without even turning the fan on.

From a Corsair employee.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=123484

I've only been posting for 3 days really and I've already answered two questions on right wattage for a PSU...

I'm a bit of a snob though, but I've seen both budget PSUs and brand name PSUs go bang inside my builds in the last 10 years I won't mess with anything that hasn't been through some serious testing...

The RM is shit! They use a bad OEM and are only rated at an ambient temp of 35c otherwise they just shut down without even turning the fan on.

*looks across to the RM inside my PC*... seems fine

ALSO on the same article you linked

Update - November 14, 2013:
In an effort to improve our products for all of our users, we have updated the RM750 and RM850 to resolve this issue. 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

There are PSU snobs? What has this world come to??? I mean graphics cards sure, processors sure; PSU's though?

PSU snobs would be a bit harsh. Don't trust big brands like Corsair, Cooler Master, NZXT, EVGA, Thermaltake plus other fairly big companies have released PSU that have been between bad to terrible.

Someone should recompile this sheet but taking prices into mind as well. The Corsair CX should definitely be doing better than acceptable, best bang for your buck there is.

PSU snobs would be a bit harsh. Don't trust big brands like Corsair, Cooler Master, NZXT, EVGA, Thermaltake plus other fairly big companies have released PSU that have been between bad to terrible.

No, PSU snobs really is putting it a bit lightly to be honest, judging from the behaviour that sometimes goes on here.

Does Corsair AX1200i make me a PSU snob, best PSU I've ever owned...

No, telling people they are idiots for buying a mid range Corsair PSU (for example) would make you a PSU snob

No, PSU snobs really is putting it a bit lightly to be honest, judging from the behaviour that sometimes goes on here.

Agreed, heck ive built gaming PCs in pre-builts for customers and they have super generic 500w PSUs and they have lasted fine for years with no issues

Sure if you CAN get a better one you should, but at the end of the day.. holy jeez, there are snobs out there when it comes to PC hardware, "omg you bought that Asus GPU not this Gigabyte one that has 1% faster clock speeds and 1 degree better temps, you are an idiot"

"omg your PSU has 1% more ripple.. your PC will explode and kill everyone"

*looks across to the RM inside my PC*... seems fine

ALSO on the same article you linked

Update - November 14, 2013:
In an effort to improve our products for all of our users, we have updated the RM750 and RM850 to resolve this issue. 

They use CWT as their OEM. They use second grade capacitors and the build quality is average at best. Even though that has been updated it is doesn't excuse the fact they cut corners in the first place. 

You live in England so you'd probably never see 35c. Here that is most days in summer or even hotter, plus 40s weekly. The RM wouldn't even turn on in those conditions.

This goes in depth into the build quality and performance of all the RM PSUs, all sourced info and and first hand experience from a PSU guru Shilka.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1455892/why-you-might-not-want-to-buy-a-corsair-rm-psu

SNIP

Shrugs, I will still continue to use and recommend them 276 reviews on amazon 4.5 stars (UK) 636 - 4.5 stars (US) 74 0 4.5 stars (DE) - a 9 from Jonny Guru, corsiar said they have fixed the issue up to like 45 degrees

backed up by my own  personal experience running it in, and my friend, both been running it for years, 0 issues

there might be issues in small cases but it seems that for 99% of people 99% of the time the PSU works fine

Instead of it being a shit PSU, maybe its just not recommended for people in hot climates... etc

I am positive that for ANY PSU on the market you can find problems - here ill prove it

The AX1200i is on your list as the BEST, and still 20 reviews LESS than 3 stars on amazon, 8 of them being 1 star out of only 172 reviews

Thats a decent amount of people with issues

No, telling people they are idiots for buying a mid range Corsair PSU (for example) would make you a PSU snob

Ohhh, okay... I'm never going to tell someone their an idiot for doing that... That's just mean.

no, I don't. I try stay out of it. Although I have a pretty good idea of what makes a good PSU, what are good makes and models etc., there's other areas that I'd prefer to talk about.

Does Corsair AX1200i make me a PSU snob, best PSU I've ever owned...

I just grab an EVGA P2 and be done with it. measurments2gud

Both are among the best PSUs available.

Agreed, heck ive built gaming PCs in pre-builts for customers and they have super generic 500w PSUs and they have lasted fine for years with no issues

Sure if you CAN get a better one you should, but at the end of the day.. holy jeez, there are snobs out there when it comes to PC hardware, "omg you bought that Asus GPU not this Gigabyte one that has 1% faster clock speeds and 1 degree better temps, you are an idiot"

"omg your PSU has 1% more ripple.. your PC will explode and kill everyone"

There is situations where a cheap PSU will do adequately fine and never miss a beat. But the second someone talks about overclocking or sticking a mid to high range GPU into their PC it's not really optimal and for a few dollars more a decent unit can be brought.

People think you have to spend a lot of money to get a quality PSU but that isn't true. 

EVGA B2, Seasonic G, Antec Neo Eco, Super Flower Green, XFX Core all of these are decent PSU that I would gladly recommend to people and they are all fairly cheap

There is situations where a cheap PSU will do adequately fine and never miss a beat. But the second someone talks about overclocking or sticking a mid to high range GPU into their PC it's not really optimal and for a few dollars more a decent unit can be brought.

People think you have to spend a lot of money to get a quality PSU but that isn't true. 

I know but there is still tons of snobbery around it, and people get slated for picking something that is not 100% optimal, but is fine 99% of the time

Just annoys me thats all, when the product is clearly highly reviews, and in many benchmarks and tests performs well, 

As I say, even the top end PSUs have issues, - I think people get too anal about it, to the point I see budget PCs with like $100 PSUs inside... its rediculous

it's not always mention

but PSU built always change overtime

the component when PSU is reviewed can always be changed if company decide it to.

Shrugs, I will still continue to use and recommend them 276 reviews on amazon 4.5 stars (UK) 636 - 4.5 stars (US) 74 0 4.5 stars (DE) - a 9 from Jonny Guru, corsiar said they have fixed the issue up to like 45 degrees

backed up by my own  personal experience running it in, and my friend, both been running it for years, 0 issues

there might be issues in small cases but it seems that for 99% of people 99% of the time the PSU works fine

Instead of it being a shit PSU, maybe its just not recommended for people in hot climates... etc

I am positive that for ANY PSU on the market you can find problems - here ill prove it

The AX1200i is on your list as the BEST, and still 20 reviews LESS than 3 stars on amazon, 8 of them being 1 star out of only 172 reviews

Thats a decent amount of people with issues

I've also never made fun of anyone that has a bad PSU, if people are making a choice I try and steer them away from PSUs with sub par OEMs and parts. I've been in that boat of having a shit PSU cause someone said it was good and the reviews online seemed to back it up but if I had of looked a bit harder I would found that reviews don't always know what they are talking about.

AXi PSU will either be about DOA or coin whine. Apparentely in the early days of that PSU there was a few DOA units being shipped and they still suffer from coil whine and probably will forever. The difference is the build quality, parts use and outstanding performance of the AXi are among the best there is. Price though they are overpriced as hell and I'll never buy one, but I'd gladly recommend one if someone was interest in one but I'd warn them of the possible coin while.

I've also never made fun of anyone that has a bad PSU, 

I know, but many do, which is what I was trying to make out - I see many people basically get attacked for it

Like they post up a build log and people are like "omg you bought that shitty psu" etc and its like go away its fine!!!

it's not always mention

but PSU built always change overtime

the component when PSU is reviewed can always be changed if company decide it to.

Yeah that is true. NZXT sort of did it with the Hale82 to the Hale82 V2. Least they added the V2 to the product as well but they sold them knowing they were a big step backwards from the original and just capitalized on the name as it was good. The first one was a great PSU, the V2 is probably the worst 80+ PSU there is.